The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wait period? Ahh, you mean where it just hangs eh? I found that to only be the case with Gigabyte boards. No way to test it though. An MSI board with Nvidia chipset smoked the install time. I believe it was barely over 10 min to full install windows 7. I believe that's some kind of record. Even for Solid State :p

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wait period?

I keep one usb with win7 in my drawer, just incase I need it, dont use it for anything else.

out of curiosity, is there a tablets forum on AD? I'm reallly considering getting the touchpad.

3. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Kevin, I've had that on other boards as well, not just Gigabyte boards. As to your HDD LED coming on periodically, I too have that it is Windows but mine doesn't come on solid it blinks. This happens when my system has been idle for some time, you got to love MS!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately no, I have had the wait periods with two Asus boards as well. As far as I can tell, it's usually experienced by systems that have more than one storage device in the system. It takes around 15 minutes to install windows 7, but there are 11 minutes of wait periods in the install which double its duration needlessly.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Unfortunately, idle is not the issue here. I won't allow my hardware to idle :p My power scheme is "Full on" for lack of a better way to put it. In other words, platters are always spinning. The green drives however have a head unloading scheme. The wait time for those is negligible though. Though I do notice that micro second it takes them.
    Oh hell! Just do it right? I'm gonna replace the C:\ s-ata cable, and eliminate that as a problem. Stop being so lazy! LOL!!!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well likewise, I leave my drives on all the time for my gaming PC, but that option has been over-ridden so now they have to spin down after 20 minutes, out of my control.
    The drives in my server I do let spin down after a time due to its 24/7 activity on numerous occasions.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

8. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

It still is Windows, I NEVER use Energy crap or green drives. Windows regardless of your profile still runs its energy feature or something in that ball park and they hammer your HDD constantly I/O'n when there is nothing to do. They have done this for decades now going back before XP. So it doesn't rule you out of this situation.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

This bug, and it is a bug, never occurred before. It's been going on for months now. Reformatting windows is simply a last resort. I don't like doing it because it means multiple hours of down time, until everything is reinstalled back to normal. Never had this happen on XP before, and I've been running "7" since the 7000 build(beta testing). I don't believe that the OS and its settings have anything to do with it, because it's too erratic. It's in my face man. I don't know how to explain it, other than this is very unusual. I spend hours and hours on my computer. This is highly irregular. Trust me! LOL!

Sam, what do you mean it's out of your control? THere's always another option!
    [​IMG]
    By the way. I replaced my main OS drives cable. It doesn't have the locking latch, but I must admit. Everything seems much more responsive now! I guess time will tell :)

I still wonder about the keyboard being a problem too. Because when it locks up, the keyboard is virtually useless...

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's nothing wrong with green drives, they're just slower. The reason I use them is they are the only realistically priced way of getting large quantities of storage, and above that, they are quiet, properly quiet.

Omega: Even if I choose never, they still spin down after 20 minutes.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Really? Mine don't. The heads unload, but that's maybe a fifth of a second to wake up. If they were to spin down, I'd know. Because that takes several seconds to wake up ;) My drives are always ready, other than the head unload.

I guess I'll know if the replacement cable fixed the problem tonight. I always stream netflix at night. I always encounter a problem within an episode. So I'll know.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Never used to be an issue, and as I say, this only affects my gaming PC. This version of windows is clearly quite badly broken :p

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Nope! Wasn't the s-ata cable :(

Windows reformat it is...

If it is the OS(7600) perhaps SP1 will correct the issue.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I think I solved the issue. Time will tell. During the last lockup, I noticed a "Processes with Disk activity" process. Searchindexer.exe! I swear I disabled that once upon a time! I wonder how it reactivated. Perhaps I reinstalled windows, and simply forgot to disable it again. I hope that solves the issue. I believe others have had this issue too.

15. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

"There is nothing wrong with green drives they're just slower” Don’t you think slower is something wrong! Please.......

Well Kevin if you haven't noticed MS's poor programming and the hammering HDD then I guess it doesn't exist. Are you kidding?

You can choose to ignore that this is a fact if you wish that is your prerogative of course.

Save your self some time and make an image of a clean good install and you can recover your system in a half hour or less. That is what I do.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not for my purposes no, I don't need 100+MB/s to watch films and play music off my fileserver. I have a 7200rpm Caviar black for my games, and two SSDs for OS drives, so where I need speed, I have it :p

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Other than the search indexer, I have no complaints about windows 7 Or M$. The coding is certainly better than XP. But that of course is a matter of opinion ;) I would probably run Linux, but there's a learning curve there. I just haven't gotten around to it. I'd prefer a secondary system for running it. Yes, I could dual boot, but meh...

agreed on making a backup image. Never done it, I really should. I probably will this next time. :p

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If Linux was so much better, everybody would be running Linux. MS is the unfortunate way to go. What they do that angers us the most can usually be worked around to make a tolerable environment.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

lol, agreed.

Watching netflix (Roswell) right now. THe bug remains. Apparently not indexsearch.

20. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Programming in Seven is worst than XP for networking, and energy saver features. Both have bloated since XP but there are other aspects that are worst as well. The GUI is much nicer though of course and that is what seems to be most important these days.

Linux definately has issues too, I wouldn't say it was better just different.