1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I totally agree about the networking issues. Forgot about that one :S

It'd be my luck, that it's yet another raptor drive failing :( And given the SSD track record, I don't know if I'm ready to trust them yet...

The long awaited reformat is under way in minutes. Wish me luck LOL!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

SearchIndexer.exe is part of the Windows Search and Indexing service. Disable Windows Search in services and it will stop appearing.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

oman7,

Is this cheap enough for you?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...80411-_-EMC-080411-Index-_-SSD-_-20227725-L0D

I know I'm considering one!

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

60Gb isn't enough :p I'd feel safer with 100 - 120Gb.

I already disabled Searchindexer twice today. On the old format, and on my new format. WOW! I forgot how snappy things could be. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty quick before, but a reformat always makes things a little snappier. So far no bug. Unfortunately, either my ISP is dicking around on their end, or my phone line is going down the crapper. Probably number 2. My brother has the same provider, and his connection has been stable for 800+ hrs. Mine is lucky to be stable for 20+ hrs. No, i'm not being throttled...
    If the bug is truly gone(which I believe it is), I'll begin by installing things one at a time, and watching an episode of Roswell via netflix :D I'm wondering if it's one of the S-ata card drivers. It has to be something associated with the hard disks... At least I would think. But who knows eh? So far, I only have one storage drive connected. And it's connected to the mainboard. I'll begin with my 3Tb drive/card tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that one is not the culprit, because this bug dates back before I got the drive and card.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Three eggs? I know newegg reviews aren't much to go by, but it's rare that a product scores that low with that many reviews, it's a little disconcerting!

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Also keep in mind Sam that a good chunk of those bad reviews are people who bought the drive and didn't know how to use it. I'll have to say though it does have some seemingly widespread problems.

I still don't like the whole pre-determined lifespan thing for SSDs. That can basically go f*** itself because I'm not buying a product designed to quit working. That's the dumbest thing I've ever encountered in my entire history of working with computers. I'm so turned off to the whole SSD craze it's not even funny. What a junky waste of money. For the record I already have several drives well past the death-limit of an average SSD. They don't last long at all even when they work right. That's a major problem.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

I was just starting to post the same thing! LOL!! Idiots Abound!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Read my edit though. SSDs are basically a waste of time for the foreseeable future. Some are better than others but the current state the tech is at right now should still be in dev labs, not on store shelves.

9. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I'm not a huge fan of SSD but with the leveling algorithm they should last as long as a good HDD and they are faster. I would be willing to try them out but would not use them for data storage, just for the OS and temporary storage.

Also if you need a high impact drive or for other special needs they are great. Of course price is still an issue.

You never can go by NewEgg’s reviews as they tend to be the worst, they have more experts that at best are novice I never put any type of weight on their reviews but they are good for a chuckle for sure.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Arguably, mechanical products are designed to wear out too. The only thing they have going for them is that when they fail, the data is recoverable by expert agents, whereas with SSDs, it's not. Performance aside, the durability of SSDs with temperature, shock and damp etc. is enough to make up for the write cycle limit shortcomings, for me.

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

not to mention, I'm sure most of you switch up your HDDs (atleast your OS drives) every couple of years.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes and no, I have been through a few OS drives, but I did end up using the 37GB Raptors on and off over a period of almost five years, so I got my money's worth out of those at least. The OS drive in my server was until earlier this summer when I put an SSD in, an old WD2500JD from 2005. The OS drive in the third PC is a WD5000AAKS from early 2007, and the OS drive in the fourth is still the 37GB Raptor even now.

13. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Actually I use my older drives typically for OS and new drives for critical data as I have a backup image for my OS drives and it is no big deal if they go down. I image my data drives but not constantly so I always could loose something if they went down and I couldn't recover the data running program(s) to retrieve on it.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well darnit! I won't need to watch an episode on netflix. I haven't installed much at all, and the bug remains. I'm wondering very much so about my mainboard. I guess the thing to do is disconnect all non vital hardware, and go from there. E.g. all S-ata cards. It'd be a shame if it's a chip on the mainboard. I was hoping to use it as my BD workhorse :( Now I won't get my hopes up...

I should really try one of my WD1001FALS drives as the OS drive. I have a feeling that may correct the issue.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I assume you've tried a new windows install in case it's software?

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I edited

I reformated

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's not one of your drives, then it's probably your ICH pausing. Check you have updated chipset drivers, but otherwise, it's probably a problem you're going to keep unless you change the board.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, that's a good idea. I'll take anything I can get at this point LOL!

The thing is, I haven't even installed the main drivers yet. No GPU drivers, no Lan drivers, nothing. Windows 7 is so ready with it's native drivers, I've been putting it off. So I wonder if the chipset drivers were the issue. I'm doubting it. I'm really wondering about a hardware conflict. I hope it's not the velociraptor, but at the same time, it'd be ok if it is. Cheaper fix than a whole mainboard! ;)

19. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I've had cases that the card cage wouldn't allow the add-on card to seat fully or at an angle which can cause problems more so though in the old days of AGP cards but I've seen it with PCI(-e) too.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

An interesting idea. Simply reseating the cards. It has been known to occurr with Ram modules too ;)

I edited my last post.