1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

try a fresh install on another hdd

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

^ this.
    But also try a linux live cd, usually the quickest and easiest (and obviously non-destructive) test..

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The thing is creaky, The only way to monitor this bug, is with the Disk resource monitor. I imagine it's different on linux. Although a lockup is a lockup on any OS. Not sure how it would manifest itself on linux though. I'm pulling my S-ata cards now. Will report back within about an hour.
    I'll likely be reinstalling windows yet again though, because I forgot to change everything to AHCI mode. If for nothing else, a speed gain?

I am aware of modifying something in the Registry for a shortcut, but I haven't installed much anyway. It's simply easier to reformat yet again.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, I just completed another episode on netflix. Not one hiccup! I pulled all of my cards. Apparently one of the cards has an issue, or a port. Or perhaps, it simply needs reseated. I never had any problems with transfers, but who knows.
    I think I may know which one is culprit. I'll begin reinserting them one at a time, and see what happens. It's likely though, that I'll eliminate one of them. I'm seeing the possibility of all my hard drives connected to the mainboard, and one optical drive connected to a card.
    Thank goodness it isn't the Velociraptor! :D I think it's safe to be optimistic now ;)

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

@Sam

I'm not really opposed to having an SSD but the relative price you pay for a decent quality one is steep and they all have some quirks. The great downfall with using an SSD as an OS drive is the incredible speed at which it eats up its lifespan, especially with repeated formats. When they can have better price and reliability I'll consider it. Also, installing all my games on a separate HDD is not a viable alternative.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

jeff, the real pleasure of an SSD is when going back to a computer with a HDD, the difference is phenominal

7. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Why??? There should be no reason you can't have your games on a different drive/partition, none!

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Lots of games use the registry, installer references, etc etc. A good many can work just fine on a separate games drive but the ones I play most require a proper re-install after every format, which negates them being on a separate drive to begin with. It's just not good practice to carry most games installations over on another drive. Especially online games which check for data integrity before play and ones which depend on files in My Documents for everything from configs to save data. Steam games are the major exception I've found. Everything else I store separately in the form of images with all the patches, mods etc ready to go. So installations are fairly quick and straightforward for me at the very least.

9. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Some of the things I have eliminated on my new computer with the OS on a SSD, and with Win 7 Pro, and to minimize some of the stress on my 128GB SSD, is the pagefile (I have 8GB of memory), hibernation, Search indexing, Aero, and several other items that are just minor inconveniences. Hopefully those items eliminated will give some additional life to my SSD.

Oh, and I back up this OS drive at least twice a month.

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I leave Aero on but indexing and hibernation are disabled.

11. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That is BS I can play any game online or not on any partition I choose you should be no different!

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

It's not a matter of the games being on a separate partition. It's a matter of the games not working properly after a format. I'm telling you I've really tried. There have been issues ranging everywhere from Crossfire scaling to sound not working properly. Again, this isn't an issue with having them on a separate drive. This is an issue with where the games store operating data, configs, save profiles, etc. I've tried on and off over the years to have a dedicated game installation drive with varying degrees of success, but it always comes full-circle to having to re-install anyway. So I can either waste exorbitant amounts of time finding out which games are friendly with it and which ones aren't, or I can simply install a game again when I want to play it.

Not to say that I don't use a separate games partition. I've just found that a large chunk of my games don't like it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  13. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

try malwarebytes' file assassin. It should be gratis on their site.

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't know what it was. Some downloaded file, that never worked. I deleted it at some point, so windows thougt it was gone. And yet it graphically saw it. Pretty weird. In any case, windows is reformatted and back up and running perfectly. Almost!

I just finished another episode on netflix. After installing my eSATA card. Right at the very end of the episode, a lockup occurred. Since the drive/dock is deactivated at the moment, the problem lyes with the card itself, or a driver is in desperate need of updating. I may have to contact Vantec if this keeps up. At least I'm getting closer to pinpointing this problem :)

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Question? My old/firs build, e8400. Gigabyte. Ga-p45 mobo. I sold to a friend I work with he has had it over a year. 2 nights ago it died on him, we both thought it to be the PSU. WELl after a new one that's not it. There is no power what so ever when you hut the power button. So the only other thing that could be would be the mobo right? . That's what I'm thinking. Bad thing is you can't find any 775 p45 mobo's. Anyone got any suggestions for a mobo?

17. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Here are some Socket 775 MB's you can buy:

MB Search

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Thanks for looking those up, but I wouldn't trust any of those on a 775 platform. Lol think I might have found a GA-P35-DS3R. WHICH is what I had in this build originally ...

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rob, check the tops of the capacitors that they are not domed or leaking brown stuff.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

I planed on checking all that stuff once I got it home. Clean it out real good. Man is it dusty/dirty. Can't believe it was once mine. Lol