1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahh yes. Dust! The PC's worst enemy LOL! I find myself blowing mine out more often, ever since I got the Coolit Eco. That damned radiator collects dust really quick ;)

I'd probably blow it out even more often, but my living situation makes it rather difficult. My PC is nearly 60 pounds. Packing it from one end of the house to the other is somewhat of a turn off. As well as all the wiring and reaching around my wide desk!

2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I agree big time about carrying those things around, I can lift 100 pounds with a handle no problem, but to pick up or carry pressed against my chest I struggle with 30 pounds, so here is my questions to you guys, why on earth towers are not made with handles, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

3. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

They do make some of them with handles but they are expensive gaming cases. They are made to bring to your friends which is why they have a handle on the top of them. On the other hand it wouldn't be tough to put your own handle on a case as well or add a carrying strap for the matter. Or you could buy a small air tank and bring the compressed air to your PC anywhere it may reside, even a better idea ah!

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't like blowing dust out of my PC case, and into the bedroom where I reside LOL!

5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I know I can install my own, but why make us do that, I think adding a handle should be standard or at least have the makers drill several holes with handles as an option included, how many nitwits out there that we know of probably many if they tried to do it on thier own would probably drill right thru a MB.

I can't think of any disadvantages having a handle but can think of many that don't.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Mine has the option for wheels. I'm a pretty strong guy, especially at work. But during my off hours, packing a 60 pound computer around isn't very appealing LOL! And 75% of the house is Rug. I've tried to get a second job and help my situation out, but no one is hiring :( I wish there were more legitimate online jobs. 99% of those online scams, are just that.

7. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Why? Because MOST people NEVER move their PC or even vacuum or blow it out. If you're worried about dust in your room, which is full of dust already of course, you can run the vacuum when you blow your PC out. Of course it helps to have a canister vacuum and not an upright.
    Or buy a four wheel box dolly and roll it out. I’m amazed at all of the skirts here winning about their heavy PC’s…. Please…..

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm probably stronger than most the people in this thread. I'm simply lazy :p

Hey, since you mentioned it... What program would you recommend for imaging a hard drive?

9. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Either Norton, which I haven't used in some time and have heard it isn't so great now, or True Image which is what I typically use. If you search around you can find a free bootCD image which is all you need, or want in my opinion. If you install their whole suite it will bloat your PC as they run all sorts of separate tasks to schedule backups and what not. Paragon also makes a good backup tool so they would be another one to look at but I haven't used them in a very long time.

If you have problems finding a True Image BootCD let me know and I'll find you a link but I don't think you'll have a problem.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks man. I'm rapidly approaching the time, when a backup image will be strongly advised ;) It seems to be running really good. I haven't had a lockup in quite some time. I thought the eSATA card was causing it, but it hasn't done it since the first day of reformat. Hopefully that pesky nuisance is over. Time will tell of course.

11. FredBun

FredBun Active member

quote: I’m amazed at all of the skirts here winning about their heavy PC’s…. Please…..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT!!!!

Did you hit a nerve, You should have thought that one out a little bit more thoroughly before you let that one out, not all pc owners are young kids, plenty of us old folks out there, and plenty with back problems myself included, spinal stenosis ain't fun neither are herniated disks, I'm very happy for you you don't have any of those ailments.

Even as a young man because I was not careful enough on how to properly lift things which later in life will kick you in the ass not to mention 3 years in the military and 35 years of construction work, many of us out there with those same ailments.

People here most of them repair and fittle around with thier PC's all the time, so that doesn't qualify them on handling PC's once in a great while, you people are lifting your PC's all the time, so that senerio is out the window, even the regulars need to move one some time or other, and it only takes one time to pull something especially if you got a bad back, so how about being a little less abusive, calling out many as winers because so many do have health issues is pushing it a little don't you think.

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yep Omega I have all the same problems with my HAF and the Eco.

It's not that I have a problem lifting my PC, it's because I do it very often, and have to carry it up a flight of stairs. And lemme tell you what with 2 video cards and 3 internal drives in a huge steel tower case it starts to get a bit heavy.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  13. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

As usual Fred you are wrong! I do have a very bad back and I'm almost as old as you but the difference is I don't cry about it in fact I man up which is something you seem to have a problem with, too bad so sad.....

If you want a handle on you PC either buy a case that has one, or ???? :p, it is just that simple. PC's even with all the HDD's Kevin has aren't that heavy unless you get into large Server towers or 4U's.

I have a violin just for you Fred, can you hear it? LOL

Definitely skirt fits you! LOL
    :)

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

You know what Steve, I thought you were a lot smarter than that, I have gotten better arguments with kids, as usual I'm wrong, I had to laugh at that one, cry about things, well I'm not crying about anything, I just stated some facts, I did say sure I can buy a handle, I also said it shouldn't be that way, and not many cases out there with a handle that had enough of my needs or even a proper price.

Now you want to get personel, you want me to man up, tighten up my skirt as you call it, you wanna play me some violin, a real man would not start downing people over something this simple, you wouldn't know sorrow if it kicked you in the ass, you have been agrumentative the day you joined this thread, you have been harsh to many people, most just ignored you, I can start flinging all kinds of f bombs on you and tell you were you really can get off, but I'm not gonna go there, not because it would bother me cause I can get thrown off here, I could care less when it comes to something like this, sooner or later somebody needs to put you in your place, so it might as well be me, and there is nothing incorrect in what I'm saying here.

We all here have gotten in different disputes over different things on this thread many times, but never has anybody gotten personel like you have, every once in a while things would get heated up but at some point we learn how to stop and let it go, you on the other hand just keep going, with your last post you really went off on a personel tangent, I guess I might have hit a truthful nerve huh! so instead of maning up as you say and at least admit just once you were wrong and you turned into a punk kid.

How hard would it be just to say Fred I disagree with your point and think your wrong but I was wrong at flinging these deep comments, that way I won't lose any respect for you, I'll even apologize for my comments, if you can't do that well than even as smart as you are at being a techie an a-hole is still an a-hole no matter how smart.

So how about we bury the hatchet after both of us do the right thing, you first, since you started to throw the first flings, if you can't do that than I'll have one more short statement for you, so, what will it be something righteous or something nasty.

Just do it quick before the mods shut us down.

15. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

You're the one that got heated up over the skirt snide comment, Kevin certainly understood it. If you want to talk about hitting a nerve well it was yours that was hit. And you assumed that you were in worst shape than me which may or may not be true but your assumption is definitely wrong as I pointed out on both levels. Also you really carry on which is not necessary. The bottom line is you seem to be thin skinned and took offense, I'm sorry you did but life is such and I think we will all live won't we.

There really is nothing to disagree about which is what’s so funny, unless you truly think PC’s are really truly heavy, they aren't.

Lighten up please...

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did somebody mention lightning???

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7

The dust where I live is not like the dust seen most places. Here, it's inert, and will float on water without mixing. It's more like silt, finer than the finest talc, literally beaten down to size by the blowing of the winds in the area, for millions of years.

As you well know I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to case airflow! :) I've had the CoolIt now for over a year. It's right at 13 months since I installed it, and I've yet to have to clean out the radiator. Idle temps are still 29-30C, and it doesn't exceed 53C, fully stressed running 6 instances of Prime 95. So far it's been a fairly mild summer, with 106F/41C being the hottest it's been so far. I seem to have far less temperature problems regardless of the ambient temps, than with air cooling alone. I've laid out the airflow to minimize the amount of dust that get's inside the radiator, with most of the dust being sucked out by the lower 40 cfm cover fan. I regularly clean the cover fan and louvers, and that's the extent of my cleaning. Until the temps start going up, I'm going to leave well enough alone. Since I designed my case's airflow to remove most of the dust particles with the cover fan, and it's working out just fine, I don't see myself cleaning the radiator for a long time to come. ROFL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well just rub it in Russ! LOL!

I live on a gravel road, in a semi-arid region. Lots of dust. My radiator wants attention once a month. There are probably things I could do to minimize dust collection in the radiator though. Financial endeavors, are something I have to be very careful with right now. My next tax return will likely be the biggest I've every had. Unfortunately, it's ~6 months out.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

I'm assuming that like me, you are on the edge of a desert or high desert area to a certain degree. Death valley is maybe 85-90 miles from here. The winds here during certain months can be brutal. It get's so dusty that Fontana has resorted to ropes when the wind picks up, so that people can find the sidewalks and stay on them! You just can't see a thing. The dust also get's into everything. You can't use a coffee mug without having to wipe it out first. No carpets, just hard Redwood floors. The dust doesn't stick to anything, but if you had about 6 inches on the floor, you wouldn't be able to force the front door open. If you filled a #7 (17" x 17.25" x 9") shipping box with it, you wouldn't be able to lift the damn box. LOL!!

Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Mmm hmm,this area has been known to have some pretty good dust storms. If it weren't for the industrial/residential development(people in general), this area would even more so resemble a desert like region. Though the spring times aren't too bad. Although I live next to a river :D