1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I'm the one that's suppose to lighten up, you have to be pulling my string, I'm not the one that started throwing sly ass remarks which is your M O, no I don't take kindly to those kind of remarks, I'll handle them once in a while but you throw them regularly, I've seen you do it on this thread as many other threads you pull the same thing, your what I call a bully, and I don't like bullies, your real badasses till somebody gets back in your face than you soil your pants, Iv'e dealt with enough people like you threw out my lifetime it's time somebody told you like it is, you wanna be a smart ass fine, do it somewhere else.

And leave Kev out of this, your dealing with me, my skin is thick enough until you start pulling to many layers off which you do well, the sad part is you really don't see what say is wrong, what you think downing people or making fun of them with those kind of remarks and I'm suppose to lighten up, you need to back up and regroup and think a little on how you talk to people, the other people here might take it regularly I won't, I know how to joke with people, or be sarcastic on a humorous level, you don't , you put yourself above everybody, I always enjoy your post's, you do have great smarts and I love to learn from people like you, Russ, Sammy etc. but than you be-little yourself and the rest of us when you come off the way you do.

And don't argue with me any more on this subject cause no matter what I say your gonna disagree anyway, and that's your downfall, so unless you change don't make any more comments on any questions I have on this thread if I'm still here, mister ddp over there might throw his bolts at me, if that's the case so be it, getting thrown off is a small price to pay compared to telling a bully like it is, so keep away from me and I will keep away from you.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

that is one bad azz CPU and the price???? damn same as it was 4 years ago. they know when they got something good...lol sure miss mine...lol

ok guys im wanting/looking at a 1155 build soon. ive noticed the various different mobo's out now for these CPU's what is the difference in all the lettering of these boards? example H67,P67,Q67 and a Z68. obvious all the bells and whisltes on the Z68 but why so many different choices? which one should one go for? any input would be great... yes i know im asking about intel in a AMD favored thread but i know you all know your stuff and dont want to start the V.S. war just trying to find out what is what?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,

Check your email at work!

Russ

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

OK i stand corrected looks like the P67 has all the bells and whistles.lol

with being out of the building loop for a while these new platforms i gotta learn all over again..lol
    is the sata 3gbs able to function in the sata 6gbs ports? and is the usb2 able to work in the usb3 ports? backwards compatible one could say???

@Russ
    im getting ready for work now. i will check when i get there. thanks.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes Rob, Backwards compatibility is beautiful with Sata III, and Usb 3.0. Something labeled 3.0 may not work 100% properly in a 2.0 port, but it should work-ish. Probably more to do with coding than anything.

Old devices will probably always work in the upgraded USB/Sata ports.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rob, yes on both.

7. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I haven't heard on any problems between USB-2 and USB-3 are some devices degrading due to backwards compatibility? Or is there another issue? It is nice that SATA3 is finally rearing its head, same goes for SAS if you use that.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I haven't heard of any issues either. If they do arise, it'll likely be due to either bad coding, or a flaky chip. Take my kingston 16Gb drive. It causes some very weird bugs to occur. It interrupts my printer, and I'm fairly certain it mucked up a CCE encode twice. I'm strongly considering retiring it...

9. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I wouldn't doubt that it was the cause to muck’d up CCE sessions I've had similar problems in that same area. I haven't played with my USB3 much so I wasn't aware of problems but again I'm sure what you have experienced is due to degraded bus issues which is always a potential problem with serial connections. Printers are demanding when it comes to duplex communications and then adding a large flash drive or removable HDD and I'm sure you’re going to see problems. That's good to know Kev I'll have to take some time out and play with that to see what happens.

Good to know, great info,
    Thanks Stevo :p

I’m surprised Russ doesn’t have more problems with dust than he does living where he does, that’s amazing…

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The thing is, I've connected other drives, with no trouble. A 32Gb drive no less! And I did have 2 of those 16gb drives(Identical) for a time. Both caused the same issue with my printer. I think the chip on it causes some kind of disassociation. Who knows though. I may never know. I wonder if windows XP would suffer the same fate? Not saying I blame windows 7. Because this bug is definitely isolated to the 16gb kingston drive.
    [​IMG]

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mr-Movies
    Stevo,

That's what happens when you get your airflow sums right. Pretty simple really! I have a Scythe 30 cfm, 800 rpm Kama-Bay fan occupying the lower 3 5.25" bays, blowing air directly across the case to feed the radiator fans. As the air moves and expands out inside the case, the heavier dust particles settle to the bottom where it's whisked out of the computer by a 40 CFM Scythe Slipstream fan mounted in the bottom rear of the side cover, blowing out! Must work because I used to have to clean the CPU cooler in it every 4 to 6 weeks. It's been right at 13 months now and so far, no temperature change at all! I still don't see any build up in the radiator, and all I have to clean is the fan on the side cover!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

There's a man that puts serious thought into his computers ;)

It's worth noting, that the 16GB drive mentioned, is also the longest drive to associate that I've ever seen. At least on the gigabyte boards that I've built. The MSI board I use to have, was a very quick association. It also had the quickest windows 7 install I've ever seen. Interesting eh? Not really suggesting it's because the manufacturer, I really think it has to do with the onboard chips. Unfortunately, I don't trust Nvidia chips anymore.

13. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Russ, good point pressurize you case, don't have excessive airflow and things work much better. Excellent job my man!

Kevin, actually I see the same problems with Gigabyte, MSI and even ASRock tend to be snappier. I do think it is Gigabytes design as they tend to have the same chipset as the others. In fact when I went from my ASRock with the USB HDD problems to my new Gigabyte and didn't have to update chipset drivers but did anyway. Installs were slower but the biggest issue I've had is that the integrated video, same exact chip, runs much less efficient. My best guess would be drivers and not the hardware architecture of the board layout. I could try other drivers to test that theory however it does get difficult to do this as most board manufactures tweak the chipset to support their own set of features.

Even with Gigabytes running a bit slow I still prefer them in most cases unless I need extreme speed and then I would go with MSI platforms and/or Intel setups as they are faster.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Don't get me wrong, I love my gigabyte boards. Simply my observations ;)

15. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I do too, just thought it was funny you seemed to see the same thing, I still swear by them. Before Gigabyte my favorite boards were Tyan but they stopped making desktop solutions and their server solutions aren't what they used to be either. Of course this was before/or-just-after most people were even born that surf this forum.
    Stevo :)

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

stevo,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm still learning things! LOL!! Actually the biggest problem I encountered in switching to liquid cooling was the lack of any air to the NB or VRMs with the Freezer 64 removed.

MSI Motherboards, now that's a conundrum. MSI has built some great motherboards over the years, but they never seem to follow up on them or give much support. Needed bios fixes that never happened! Chicken shi* stuff! It's always seemed to me that MSI never wanted to become a serious player in the Motherboard Wars. They should perhaps take a look at how Gigabyte became the #2 motherboard manufacturer, and learn from it. Gigabyte almost waited too long before deciding to "go for it!" The result was back to back Legends with the 965P-DS3, followed by the P35-DS3R. I owned the sweetest of the 965Ps, an import from Canada, rev. 1.3. It ran an E4300 at 3.76 very nicely. The P35-DS3R had an E6750 at 3.83. Asus took a big hit from those two motherboard series.

MSI has the know how and the talent to do it. Check this board out!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130600
    Sweet Board! Just for once I would like to see MSI get the fencepost out of there butts and do something decisive. They aren't a player in the low price market anymore, so why bother with that market at all?

Oh! You would not believe what you can get these days for $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138182
    That's pretty amazing for $40!

Best Regards.
    Russ

17. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

It is true that MSI BIOS updates lag but still I've built thousands of systems from most all board manufactures, testing, imagining, trouble shooting, and MSI is by far some of the fastest boards out there. They don't come with the features for the same money that Gigabyte does but with exception to loading them up with four sticks of high speed memory I've never encountered much problems with them, they are a very good board. The memory timing problems have been fixed since I had them but is was a bugger to load the board and get memory working properly in fact it was a problem just to get the board to post when loaded but such is life and I have had those problems before with other manufactures.

That Biostar board is cheap, wow, but if you want to talk about quality issues Biostar is right up there. They are one manufacture I tend to stay away from personally, on occasion I'll solicit buying one but typically steer clear. However for $40 I'd give them a shot you really can't go wrong at that price.

With the cooler don't you have a heatpipe/coolant-line connected to your NB, I can understand the issues with the VRM's? I guess there is something I'm missing there?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Stevo,

This is the cooler.

[​IMG]

Here's the MB layout with the heatpipe cooler for the NB and VRMs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That totally makes sense now that I see your configuration. Have you had over heating issues with the NB/VRM heatpipe or has it just run a bit high? I like the radiator but it would be better if the NB was also a part of the cooler system too.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Indeed stevo! My northbridge tends to run substantially higher than my CPU. If I could cool it better, I could likely take my CPU even higher. And I probably will eventually. This board and CPU will be my Blu Ray workhorse one day :D I'm probably gonna take it to the next step though. Beyond the Coolit eco. I plan to go TRUE water cooling. That's one of the things I haven't played with yet ;)