1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What I've been seeing is that you CAN buy lead free. But it's not like its been outlawed. Perhaps it should be though eh ;) The stuff I have says it has lead in it...

Interesting. Despite being .8V, the UV LED's seem to be responding to the low voltage nicely. I may just give the go ahead to installing them.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I went ahead and installed them. Not quite as bright as I would have liked, rather dim actually. But that's ok. I may run them later in series, splitting 5V. Then they would be 3 times as bright ;) Theoretically anyway.

I guess My camera has trouble capturing Black light (Ultra Violet), as it's seen by you and me. What's weird is the color you see here.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:(Use your imagination, suppose to be UV)
    [​IMG]

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ultra-violet isn't part of the visible spectrum, nor is it emitted by LCD screens. So good luck getting it on camera!

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I figured as much :p

Finally bought a Sata card. I desperately need one now. I also bought a blu ray burner. Now I can start REALLY playing around xD

BD BURNER

Sata card (Hopefully it works for me) people are saying it isn't supported by Windows 7. I call BS! I think its another example of ignorance...

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Umm just for the record, that is a SATA 1.5 card. All of your drives would be 3.0 AFAIK.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sata 1.5Gb. If I'm right, that bandwidth can handle upwards of 100Mb/s. Since none of my drives exceed that, I'm betting they'll be fine. Besides, I may use it for optical drives. Depending on its abilities...

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Correct, no problem with using S-ATA 1 cards. 7 of my server drives run off SATA 1 cards.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for the confirmation sam. I was beginning to wonder if I made a bad purchase decision. I suppose in the long run, perhaps. But even an SSD connected will smoke a mechanical drive. Given they run a nearly constant speed, and their super latency ;)

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    On the brightness of those LEDs, you should be fine. It's going to be plenty bright in the dark, when they can be most annoying. I put one of my speakers in front of the Power and HDD light, when I run something overnight, otherwise the bright flashes of the HDD LED will annoy the crap out of me! They get very bright in the dark! LOL!!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha yep. My housemate taped over his HDD LED, and when I watch a TV episode off my PC in bed, or am sleeping with it on overnight, clothes get placed over the top, so they cover up the front LEDs :p

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! The HAF932 power light/HDD activity light is extremely bright. Bright enough to be considered a night light. Sometimes I cover it up with a piece of paper, so I can sleep ;) Depends on my mood. If I'm drinking, nothing will keep me up.

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Not saying it wouldn't work just saying it IS a SATA 1 card.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Could be worse, something wrong with the connector on my board and it gets stuck on. I have to use a software program to tell me if there's HDD activity!
    That said, could just be the LED in the HAF, wouldn't surprise me given the standard of wiring in coolermaster front panels!

It was for a DVD drive wasn't it?

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Jeff, I always appreciate your input. I think I understand in this instance what to expect.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Even a hard drive will do fine, right sam? The WD1001FALS for instance averages 100,000Kb/s. That doesn't even saturate Sata 1 :/

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Burst rates would probably suffer, and fast SSDs might run slower, but there is no apparent difference between 1.5 and 3.0 HDDs that I can see. My first Sata drive needed a jumper for 1.5, but once I got the 965P-DS3R, I've had 3.0 ever since, and removed the jumper. I don't see any difference in performance at all.

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So I may need to connect a jumper then eh? It's not automatic eh? Darnit. I need things handed to me on a silver platter :p

Thanks russ ;)

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    No worries, you no longer need the jumper as all the Sata drives in the last couple of years make the switch automatically. My drive in question is now over 5 years old, and probably wasn't a newly introduced model when I bought it.

Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha! Good to hear ;)

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, Pretty obvious where my temperature problem is :S Only problem is that it's now after dark :( Tomorrow, I blow both systems out with an air compressor. Goes against my better judgment, but i'll risk it.

Looks like windows 7 does have a problem with the sata card. Device manager has flags up. I'll be looking into that pretty soon. And to think I thought to hook everything up to it before hand. I thought that might be a bad idea ;)

[​IMG]