The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh yah! I didn't realize flash drives were getting so big. I had a feeling 128Gb was around, but never 256Gb. Awesome! Rather expensive and slow though...
    256Gb King
    [​IMG]

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey GM, remember when you recommended the ---> External USB enclosure? <--- LOL! Nah, I don't blame you for my current predicament. Just thought I would throw this out there ;) Apparently, its now suffering from a power deficiency of some kind. I'll be looking into it either tonight or tomorrow. As the drive speeds up, I can tell that the enclosure isn't maintaining a constant flow of electricity. The LED light begins to flicker, the drive itself tries to drop out, etc, etc. Obviously an electric issue. Hopefully the transformer is not going. That would be truly unfortunate.

I've already played with the supply cord ;)

LOL! Poor Vantec. One of the bad reviews should actually be a good review. The guy screwed up, and gave it one egg...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Had the same thing happen to the power adapter for my old enclosure recently, thankfully I have a spare power adapter.
    I recently bought a new hotswap box for the sole purpose of backing up my server to the WD20EARSes due on Monday.
    [​IMG]
    Also got new fan controllers in the PC, two Scythe Kaze Masters. VFD displays are so much nicer than those horrible bright LEDs :)
    Same as this, but with black dials instead of silver
    [​IMG]

Will have to take a new photo at some point.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  4. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Those are nice, especially the fact it will dock a 2.5" as well as 3.5" HDD. They are great when connecting to an older PC with no ESATA via USB. I personally forgo the dock when there is an ESATA port, and just plug the bare drive directly in and I know its not best practice but hey I'm a rebel i guess...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No easy power access for me, PSU is brimmed running the existing 13 drives :p

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Gonna have to get a hotswap box. Far too convenient to pass up ;) I can totally see myself making use of one.
    Nice fan controller!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At barely half the price of a screwed-in enclosure, it was an absolute bargain. I paid no more for that than I did for the SATA-eSATA only standard enclosures, and they don't have any electronics at all!

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Right, and explain this...the gigabyte boards I've purchased have come with a bracket for external SATA that screw into empty slot on the back panel. Bracket comes with 2 SATA connections and 1 power connection...foresight, how does it work?

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Originally posted by Deadrum33
    Deadrum33,
    Mine is connected up to the two purple GSata connections, which are set up for Hot swap, and came with a power adapter for two drives, so you can run a powered e-Sata enclosure or a bare drive. The power connector is a Molex that connects to the motherboard or PSU. Easier than it sounds!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I had that one you got now sold it and got a Black one instead. I had 3 black 1's had to replace one then. I brought the Zalman for the 690II Case Love it:)

it the 590 case
    [​IMG]

690II
    [​IMG]

and the LED's on the Zalman are not that Bright either they go from Blue to Red when you crank up the Speed on the knobs

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I've got a Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus as well, that's currently in the NZXT case and will be used the next time that system is. The LEDs on the MFC1 are far more tolerable than the spotlights fitted to the original Rheobus, but less so than the Rheobus Extreme as they aren't diffused.
    The Kaze Masters I have are black like the one you have, they fit in the HAF quite well. They're also, unlike the Sunbeams, a doddle to install.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I understand HOW it works, i was mainly making fun of the fact it gives you one more data connection than power...so if you already have one disk plugged in, you can plug in another, but that guy needs to find its own power...

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can't remember if it comes with a Molex splitter or not. Either way, if it doesn't, they're not difficult to get hold of :p

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I sincerely hope that Wikipedia is wrong. If they're right, Bulldozer could be considered an AM3+ chip. Which is NOT compatible with AM3 boards. While AM2, and AM3 chips will be compatible with AM3+, Bulldozer will not be compatible with older mobo's. Which makes my next upgrade more expensive then I was planning. Gonna have to sell some of my hardware in the near future :S

It sure sounds like an impressive chip though xD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_(processor)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

AMD's reliance on the same socket is one of the reasons for them not having high performance CPUs. The AM2 architecture is old, and they really need to ditch it to take a substantial lead.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Agreed! I guess I should have seen this coming ;) Save my pennies, right? LOL!

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Well slap my face! :) Looks like missing the socket AM3 completely, was the right thing to do! I'll wind up having gotten 4 generations more use out of my 1066 Dominators then, because a 6 core 1090T-BE is up next in mine! DDR3 has now dropped in price that a new motherboard and DDR3 memory won't be such a big hit now!

Russ

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Glad myself that I didn't go AM3 for the simple fact that every single AM3 CPU works with my board. I've had my Phenom II long enough that Bulldozer is perfectly timed. As long as it delivers performance-wise, I will be staying AMD. If not, I'll be gett6ing that i5...

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've been chatting in the BD rebuilder Beta forum at doom9. Several people are witness to X264 Codec utilizing 6+ cores 100%. Jdobbs himself seems to think it will handle MORE cores. I knew it was possible to program keeping future Processing architecture in mind ;) Can't wait to play with my next CPU. But then, I won't like spending as much money as I'm gonna have to. 1090t is certainly tempting. But I have to see Bulldozer first. Since Bd rebuilder on my 940Be averages just over 2hrs an encode, I can live with that. I'm sure my 965 will do substantially better too.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Am quite fond of my 940BE considering how early I purchased it. One of my friends here in town got one like 3 days before I got mine and his can barely hold 3.4GHz stable(MSI-790FX that took a 6400+ to 3.6GHz). Whereas mine will do 3.8GHz 24/7 stable with a little more voltage :)