1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It would be nice if they told people that. I got the instructions direct from M$ on how to do it, and they never said a word about not recommending anything!
    Perhaps you never got ripped off by them then! I bought a Compaq Laptop, with a 14" screen over 6 years ago. What I received was a motherboard for that model laptop, no 14" screen, no laptop. Ebay's rules at that time stated that you had to wait so many days before filing a complaint. I took the matter straight to my Credit Card Company, and nulled the purchase! Got banned for over 3 years for that, but I kept my money! I sent the motherboard back, return receipt requested, and they refused it. I think it's still in the closet! I never opened it when it was returned to me! It's just another way that Ebay makes money, by keeping your money as long as possible to get the maximum benefit of the interest on it! I've been more than happy with the service I've gotten elsewhere! Free shipping, mostly overnight, and no sales tax!

Russ

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I ran my USB optical enclosure today. It exceeded 20,000Kb/s without even a stutter. Perhaps it was USB, perhaps it was electrical. I may never know. I'll be running more tests on it this week.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ebay policy has changed a lot in favour of the buyer now. Try and sell something on ebay, and you're almost guaranteed to get scammed, as you have no protection at all, somebody can take the item without you seeing a bean, but buy from them and you have a considerable amount of protection these days. Sellers aren't even allowed to leave negative feedback for buyers any more.

Omega: The limit for USB2 is around 30-31MB/s.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I gather you're suggesting I should see more? Well that certainly depends on a few factors I would think. My IDE WD5000AAKB drive averaged 20,000 - 21,500Kb/s when ran to one of those IDE to usb devices. But in my secondary system, it averages closer to 55 - 60Mb/s, ran properly to its beloved IDE channel. I Don't believe I've ever seen more than 21,000Kb/s through USB. But as I say, that depends on devices used. As well as OS/Drivers. One of the first things I noticed about windows 7 was improved transfer rates across the board. Sata, USB, etc. Xp was noticeably slower in that respect...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I rarely see less than 30MB/s unless the drive is seeking a large number of small files or it's very fragmented, but the limitation could be the controller you're using.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I had a feeling about the controllers. Optical drives rarely see that speed anyway. I'm not concerned ;) Though Blu Ray drives easily exceed that speed. As well they should!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I gather you are talking about 64 bit, because there is no difference at all using 32 bit. 64 bit XP also had faster data transfer rates across the board.

Russ

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You're kidding. I wouldn't think that the platform would make any difference? 32bit processing vs 64bit processing shouldn't matter for transfer rates :/

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    With both Win 7 and XP, 32 bit, all the drives transfer data at 93-97MB/s. With 64 bit XP-Pro, the speed is 107-112MB/s. I/O was also noticeably faster with the 64 bit than the 32 bit.

Russ
    PS! Loved the Dog/Cat!

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

The WD20EARS arrived. One of the SATA docks wouldn't recognise it for some reason, the drive wouldn't even spin up. No matter, another dock recognised it. The dock i have at home is the same as the dock that wouldn't recognise the drive, however the drive will be mounted internally anyway, as soon as i get home.
    Formatted the drive, ran WD's align utility, for all intents and purposes it's a bog standard drive now that the 'advanced format' is sorted, and am now copying loads of stuff over to it. Just need to read up on the idling side of things. I skim-read somewhere that WD might have altered the idling in the firmware, though not finished googling this yet (my drive was manufactured in July, in case anyone has any knowledge on this)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm afraid I never compared 32Bit windows 7. I require insane amounts of ram, so there was no doubt which version I needed :p I'd probably have 16Gb if it weren't so friggin expensive!

PS: Your welcome LOL! It was pretty funny ;)

Enjoy the new drive creaky ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  12. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I very rarely get transfer speeds that high, usually it's 60MB/s or less if I'm unlucky (and yes the drives are defraged :p).

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Transfer speeds also depend on the actual process. E.g. 7-zip seems to require a C:\ temp cache. So in that process, it's Reading and writing to the same drive. My download directory at present is on C:\, so reading and writing average 30 - 35MB/s simultaneously. If it's simply a transfer from say WD1001FALS to another identical drive, its around 95,000 - 105,000Kb/s. And thats with 25 - 33% fragmentation :p My VRaptor only transfers at an average of 70 - 75Mb/s. Which isn't that much faster than a regular Raptor :( Ah well. Almost time for SSD :D

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends on where you're going to/fro.

Currently I'm testing the first WD20EARS in the eSATA enclosure, and my eSATA port is connected to a PCI S-ATA card, so there's a bottleneck there.

When I copy to it from another drive on a PCI card, I get between 32MB/s and 50MB/s.
    When I copy to it from another drive on a PCIe card or on the motherboard, I get between 55MB/s and, so far the highest I've had is 83MB/s.

If the eSATA port was on the PCIe bus, I imagine I'd get even more.

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

16. creaky

I love Samsung, if it's TV's, monitors. But hard drives, i'd run a mile. I never read anything good about their hard drives (and yes i forget who actually makes their hard drives). Nice price, but not in any of my machines i'm afraid :).

I've just discovered Robocopy, was looking for an easy way to only copy non-existing files over to one of the new hard drives (without spending all night responding to yes/no prompts. I normally mount drives (for stuff like this i mean) via a linux machine and knock up a script to do whatever needs doing, but tonight i wanted a quick and easy fix (plus i didn't want the lag of mounting windows shares thru another machine, too much data to copy over). So i found robocopy, that by default ignores existing files on the destination drive. Copies really quick too, heard of it many times before, just never had a use for it previously. Will now add this to my many methods of transferring data.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I generally like Samsung. Had a cellphone, Monitor, Blu-Ray player. The BD player I wish I didn't jump into though. BAD BAD reviews. It was on sale at walmart christmas eve last year. I thought with their name, I'd be safe. Wrong.

Never had a Hard drive of theirs. As long as WD keeps selling me working drives, I won't see the need in trying another manufacturer ;)

Thanks for the tip creaky. I figured something like that existed, just never looked. Never had a large enough job to be bothered by it ;)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  18. creaky

Apart fromthe Hitachi's i bought (which i'm very happy with), my opinion also

Yeah it's great. Going from internal Hitachi to (USB 2.0 attached) SATA dock Hitachi. It's literally tearing thru the files, about 500GB of them, very impressed. It's not linux but Robocopy is a very nice little proggie to have, could have done with it much sooner.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: WD20EARS drives are £73-£75 now, so the Samsung is marginally more expensive. So far so good with 3 of the 8 drives I bought, I haven't tested the others yet.
    The F2s seem ok, but have the standard Samsung caveat of high mid-term failure rate. Not seen much on the F4s as of yet.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's that system with the no doubt problematic PSU. I'm leaning that way even more now. This is one of the dustiest systems I've seen in a very long time. You gotta understand though, that this system was not designed for the greatest air flow. Cudos HP LOL! Nah, I loved my pavilion 7905. It introduced me to most of my knowledge. Though I've had a fascination with computers since probably the 5th grade :p when macs and apples were becoming common in schools, and Oregon Trail was an entertaining game.

This picture didn't even capture the worst of it. The dust on the PSU is probably an eighth of an inch in the majority of the area. No joke. And I rarely see dust collect on the wires like that either LOL! The fan probably quit, and then things REALLY heated up. I won't even open it up again tonight for fear of the dust. I won't even plug it in til I blow it out ;)

Given the cramped nature of this case, I love my HAF932 even more now! Let this be a lesson to those who don't blow their cases out regularly(Including me). It's definitely in your best interest to blow the darn thing out!

Pavilion 8756C Millenium edition, apparently upgraded to XP.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]