1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah that's a pretty familiar sight! It's amusing how sleek the HAF looks behind it in the background, well I say sleek, that's if you ignore the ivory-bezelled optical drive!

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL!!! I've thought that the white-ish drive looks kind of funny with all the black. Funny thing is, its arguably my best drive too.

Although my LG BD burner is probably my best now ;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The OCD in me says buy a new bezel for it. I've filled the hole in my HAF again now I have two working fan controllers and the DVD drive is back in, but the irony is, last time I used the drive I had to take it out as it wouldn't read the windows DVD properly when plugged internally, I think the SATA cable was bad, so I had to use it over USB with the crappy Dyanmode enclosure I had. Said dynamode enclosure caused my server a BSOD and then a failed POST earlier this week, when I was trying to use it. Ugh.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

OCD lol.

I didn't like the idea of buying a white drive. But at the time, the 7200S optiarc drives were really scarce. I was lucky to get what I did. And VERY great-full for it now. It's proven to be a very good reading drive. I could probably paint it too. Properly done, it wouldn't be difficult. But black plastic and black paint would probably still look different. Besides, one of my 7200A's will probably quit in the near future. I work them like dogs LOL! And since the drives are virtually identical, I can use the parts for the 7200S.

Sorry about your enclosure. That sucks! I think mine was simply a bad USB connection. Time will tell.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have a decent IcyBox enclosure, but it's a hotswap "toaster style" unit, so it can only take 2.5" and 3.5" drives, not 5.25" opticals.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll probably be looking into buying devices like that in a years time. I'll likely replace my 1Tb drives with 2Tb drives, and then want even more ;)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That replacement procedure is the exact reason I bought the hotswap box :)

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Heck yah. I totally see the benefits there. To not have one is ludicrous LOL!

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I just hotwired the suspected power supply. Was quite surprised that it powered a 12V light bulb. Though the bulb I powered isn't even one amp, the power seemed stable. I've seen supplies that powered the bulb, with intermittent power(rapid blinking). I'll hook it back up tonight, and see if it was simply a seized fan causing the fowl up. I've had that happen before...

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Seized fan indeed. At least that's what I suspect. It started everything up tonight. I'm betting that the CPU fan wasn't turning, preventing the system from starting up. Had to replace the CPU fan though. The old one was quite obnoxious :p

I sure love the satisfaction that comes with discovering a problem, and fixing it. I wouldn't mind doing it professionally. But not yet. Perhaps I can post ads on craigslist, claiming the ability to fix any computer problem. I wonder if that would be considered a business though, in that I would have to pay taxes for said business...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  11. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I have two 500GB hdd's, A & B for simplicity, that are copies of each other. This afternoon I formatted B and copied everything on A over to B, and now B has 156GB free while A only has 104GB free. Anyone have any ideas as to why there's a 52GB difference, it just doesn't make sense to me?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Craig's list is fine as long as theres no shipping involved. UPS (now called OOPS) destroyed a brand new computer on me about a month ago. I couldn't even understand why the driver would even have delivered it in the condition the box was in. If I had been home I would have refused it! I was nice about it though, and only hit them for the case. I could have gotten them for the motherboard and the CPU. Whatever it hit, actually ripped the CPU cooler and CPU far enough out of the socket against the spring plate that it bent the first row of pins on the CPU when it snapped back into place. Gigabyte replaced the board and I managed to repair the damage to the pins on the CPU. Still, it also cost $54 to ship it back to Mass. It went back double boxed, and arrived safely! Still, it took me a month to get the money for the new case!

Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Implying that UPS' failures are the fault of craigslist... Even newegg use UPS...

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

that's very weird. Is A your OS drive?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That can happen sometimes. Run disk cleanup on both drives, and make sure everything has copied over. If it's all there, run Sequoia on the drives to identify what's using the missing space.

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I think it's just down to drives being formatted with different sector sizes. I see the same free space difference across a few (identical) drives with identical data. It could also be 'dynamic' discs vs 'basic' discs. I don't pay it any mind personally, hence why my answer may not be 100% correct.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sorry to hear that russ. Some drivers definitely need a talking to ;) When things are obviously damaged, we're supposed to stop the progress of a package. E.g. sounds like broken glass, visibly damaged, leaking liquid, etc. Some damages occur not by people, but by collapsing walls(MY box walls are award winners). I heard recently that a tornado got hold of a UPS train car. I wonder if that's what happened to your package. Long shot, but possible.

18. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Sounds alot like this...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-111/raid_controller_extended_use_of-869555/

And my thought was sector size like creaky said, but 60GB+ is a heck of a difference

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Whoops!, i didn't pay attention to the (huge) difference in size there :eek:, that'll teach me to not skim-read

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

My Motherboard and video card arrived this morning. I know where I'll be spending my weekend! LOL!! I get my baby back! Hooray!

Russ