1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I understand why sometimes, it's easier to just reinstall windows, and just start over. I have my system acting funny lately, and no idea why. Well...almost no idea LOL! I know that one of my sata channels causes a considerable lag, when disc burning with it. But next to that, I also have a curious lag/hiccup happening at regular intervals. Sure wish there was a utility that could point out exactly whats causing that. Because it doesn't appear to be CPU intensive. I'm wondering about the north bridge. I think I'll change all my clock settings to normal tonight and see how it behaves. But I tried that in the past. Perhaps there's something faulty about the mainboard, that's making itself more pronounced now. Time will tell ;)
    It looked as though the CPU was waiting for the lag to stop, to continue at one point today. Very curious...

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Nope, both are independent data drives.

Disk cleanup says that I can free 0 bytes so I'm guessing there's nothing there to free. What is Sequoia? I did a quick search but didn't turn up anything useful.

Does seem similar, although I'm not using a raid card; I manage my backups manually.

Checking the properties of the root folder on each drive correctly shows them to be the same size but the drives are still showing a 52GB difference.

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Size difference between raid card partition and external data backups was what flagged me to this issue. I originally thought the card might be an issue, but since we are having the same problem perhaps not?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

There's also a very simple yet powerful program called JDiskReport that you can use

[​IMG]

But personally i much prefer to knock up a temporary Samba share and mount the drives in linux, it's ery quick and easy to figure out what's what

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

7. creaky

Erm that looks like a case of someone designing something of no practical use whatsover, the kind of thing you see as a painting and people always say "i can see what the artist was trying to say there" (when they clearly can't); i think i'll stick to good old fashioned pie charts and percentages thanks :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, as the folders are visibly distinguishable with changes in the layout of the blocks, and a quick hover-over shows you what you're looking at (it also highlights the outside of the parent folder). It's maybe not so obvious as a still screenshot but once you use it it's quite handy, to me at least. I tend rarely to have many root folders in a drive so if you want basic info you can just right click properties on the folder concerned.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I discovered something very curious. Not sure if its the root of my Lag, but I did discover that my Hard drive activity light, and click which happens at regular intervals, is in exact tandem, with what I believe to be "HOTMAIL.COM" refreshing itself at regular intervals. I began closing processes in an effort to find the lag, and so far, hotmail seems to be the culprit. Most unfortunate. I love hotmail. I guess I can live with it. But M$ needs to know that their refreshing process seems to be slowing other processes :p And on a quad core, that's most distressing news...

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hotmail is just ugh. Use Google Mail.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've been using it so long, its hard to change. I just need to be aware of that, until they fix it ;)

12. creaky

I almost ditched my hotmail account. I've had it for so many years i can't even remember when i first got it. In all those years i've probably had only a couple (maybe 3 but i'm almost positive it's only been a couple) of spam emails. Then a few months ago i started having spates of groups of made-up-named 'people' (probably bots) trying to add me as contacts. Then a few weeks ago i started having emails sent from my account that weren't sent by me. Then Microsoft locked my account, forcing me to create a new password (at coincidentally just the same exact time they were rolling out new anti-spam changes). I'd had that same password for all the many years i'd had the account, with not single problem or lock-out.
    So i nearly ditched the account, i have a gmail account also, but i don't trust either company to safeguard my email content nor my contacts so i keep very little of value in said accounts, such companies sell out our privacy often. Though all is not bad, they don't seem as bad as those mindless 'social networking' sites for the IQ-challenged in society, though i always keep my eye on Google, they are not to be trusted. At all.

Google CEO Eric Schmidt on privacy

I'll stop before i get started on Google's streetview debacle, that nonsense where they claimed that the camera vehicles 'accidentally' captured data from countless wifi routers, for 4 years until they got rumbled.

On topic, i'd been reading up on how to disable the head parking on WD20EARS drives, i'm having zero issues with using the drive, it's used for documentaries and TV shows, stuff like that, playback and copying to and from it, have been trouble-free. Am just a bit nervous of having a drive that self-parks so often. Or maybe i don't need to worry due to the use this drive gets (ie head parking is ok due to the content/use of this particular drive i think). I've still to order another WD20EARS for it's external backup, am not to nervous about the drives now i've seen how easy it is to format them (for use in XP or linux)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah invite bots are an absolute farse.
    I don't trust google to my privacy at all, but the way I see it, I'm not doing anything illegal with my account, so I don't really care.

If you're worried about head parks, have the drive spin down when not in use. The heads will stay parked if the platters aren't spinning :p

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Thanks for that creaky. This just gave me quite the laugh. Though quite serious.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrontojPWEE&NR

I'll likely be buying more WDEARS drives in the future. I wanna see this drive hit the 6month mark first though :S

15. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

That's what I thought to at first but it showed me what I was looking for, although if I was looking for a small file probably would have given up lol. I was going to try JDiskReport also to compare but it failed to launch on my system (couldn't find javaw.exe).

Anyway it turns out my disk space was being eaten up by a hidden recycle bin on that drive that seemed to hold everything I'd deleted off that drive for the past several years. Thanks for all the help guys :)

redmaw

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I was in the same situation until i decided to just forward my hotmail to the gmail account. Now I only open 1 app for my few different email accounts. You know you have personal email, work email, my bands email, the address my wife has, and the other one i use for "other" women...i only open Gmail to view them all.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

They'll only forward those messages for so long though, eh? Much like a change of address ;)

18. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Do they? It's been over 2 years for me...really all you need is your gmail set properly to fetch generichumorousname@hotmail.com and thats it. If its still programmed to fetch, it will fetch it.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ah. I suppose if the past account is still active ;) I have a yahoo account as well, for particular uses. But I've always liked hotmail. Don't know why. Just grew on me I guess :p
    After previous posts though, I think my paranoia level just climbed to alarming levels :S

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Not so here in So Cal. I get spam by the ton on Gmail! I open it every couple of weeks just to check it and there's usually 150-200 or more pieces of spam every time! Hotmail is also far easier to use than either Gmail or Yahoo mail when sending multiple forward emails. Yahoo mail is a huge PITA for that, and extremely time consuming! Gmail is a whole lot better!

Russ