1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Mondays I may have a few junk mails, and a couple spams, but for the most part, I don't get them :p

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Looking for a Pretty Good Ethernet Hard Drive or a External Enclosure where you can swap drives out and with a Ethernet connection. The only one. I found was a LaCie but . I don't know what drive is inside the case there's not alot of Ethernet drives out there. I see in Brand names. I would very much appreciated if anybody know any other links to find somes at a low price,,,

[​IMG]

I found this on the Egg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154419

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm sure this has occurred to you guys, but almost any email address can be registered to work with Thunderbird or Outlook. So the quality of the service really doesn't matter in the long scheme of things.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    I don't know Will, a lot of their stuff has been poorly rated. I do know that their USB drives have been problematic, especially the smaller ones. I know a couple of people who have owned the 1TB external usb drive, that said they weren't too reliable. heat seems to have been a big issue! I believe Rick had a 1TB usb one, but sent it back!

Russ

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I need a Ethernet Hard Drive ,Not a E-sata or usb drive.I would Never use a USB External Drive anyway tranfer rate is Too slow for me Always E-sata Drives Here what. I'm trying to do is plug it directly into my westell modem as a network drive with it's own Ip address attached...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You don't seriously believe where you live affects how much spam you get?
    An email address only gets spammed if it's used to subscribe to something and the database is leaked. Commonplace, but I wouldn't really put that down to gmail. I've had a hotmail account for perhaps 8 years, and I typically get maybe 50 spam emails a week. My gmail I've had 6 years and I get maybe 1200-1500 spam a week. Fact is though, it pretty much all ends up in the spam folder and not the inbox, and this email address is on hundreds if not maybe over a thousand websites, I'm not surprised I get so much spam.

Will: You want to plug a hard drive into a modem, yet you think USB2 is too slow? Modems almost universally use 100Mbps switches, not Gigabit, which means 11MB/s limit. USB2's 31MB/s is a lot faster than that. Why not just use eSATA? Or perhaps you should consider a USB3 enclosure. They're a little more pricey but much, much cheaper than gigabit ethernet enclosures.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    You are not following what I am saying. Their products in general are not very good. Read the feedback on that drive. Many complaints! They told one person I know that they only use WD drives. Since his died, he took the cover off to make sure a plug wasn't loose, and found a Maxtor inside!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've only seen inside one LaCie and it was two Samsung HD501LJs. The drive was a 1TB 'Big Disk' and it used the two drives in RAID. It was nearly impossible to disassemble, and it used the alternate 4-pin power plug connector, which we couldn't get the right schematic for [the external PSU had failed and we were trying to hook another up to it]. When we found what should have been the right schematic for the connector, we fried one of the drives, so obviously it wasn't. A thorough pain it was, I'll stick to my self-assembled enclosures thanks.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Just got the living crap scared out of me! Gina just emailed me, and I called her on the phone. The Hospital was wrong, she isn't dead! Cried like a baby when I heard her voice! She's not in the best of shape, but has recovered from her stroke with just a problem with her voice. She talks pretty good, but sometimes it takes a bit to form the words. I was just praying that it wasn't just some sick joke! I'm still shaking!

I'm working on getting my computer put back together!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Great to hear Russ :)

11. redice

redice Regular member

i 2nd news as well russ

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks a million Sam! I was so afraid that it was some sick joke. Her Mother never returned any of my phone calls. Her Mother doesn't approve of our friendship because I'm so much older than her??? I mean, she just turned 35 for god's sake! Takes all kinds!

Thanks again,
    Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm looking at a strong possibility of an overheating Northbridge. Apparently, what I'm about to do, seems to revive older Nforce boards. People have had troubles with the chipsets overheating in the past. I believe my problem to be just that. So now I'm in the market for chipset cooling. I was under the impression that Copper is the best compound to use, for heatsinks. Is this accurate? Do manufacturers use aluminum simply because it's cheaper?
    I'd really like to go with copper. I'm looking at this one.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103155
    Unfortunately, it has no means to fasten the cooler down to the board. I currently have what appears to be push pins. In that they push into springs, through the board, and they're fastened. One of the reviews suggested using zip ties. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me. And thermal adhesive doesn't sound promising either. Is there a better cooler? Or shall I make this one work somehow?

I'm also thinking of transferring what ever I buy, to another build. It's likely that this board will not last forever. In fact, it could already be doomed...

I'm unfortunately constrained to using 37mm(45mm peak peak) or less :( There are circuit board components restricting my going larger. Are those called capacitors on left and right?

The opaque looking area shown, is precisely 45mm squared.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't use zip ties as they will come undone with heat.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Exactly! ;)

16. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

oman7, if you haven't already I'd suggest making sure it's the chipset overheating before improving it's cooling. From the sound of your problem it shouldn't take more than 4 or 5 hours.

If you can manage you could try putting a fan inside the case to blow air across chipset; I did that in my main rig and it dropped the "NB" temp by ~7C at least (it's been to long I can't remember how hot it used to get).

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm attempting to position a fan now. But as you can see in the pic above, it is challenging to say the least...

As you can also see by the pic, the heatsink does not completely cover the chip either. I'm rather dazzled by that...

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Copper is better at transferring heat than Aluminium, but Aluminium is used for being cheaper, but also lighter. Heatsinks like the Thermalright Ultra-120 and pretty much all its competitors are made from Aluminium as a heatsink that size can't realistically be made from copper.
    An Ultra-120 Extreme copper does exist, costs twice as much as the normal 120, and states in big letters that it can never be installed in a PC that sits upright, or it will simply rip the CPU socket off. So aluminium has its advantages, its use offers levels of surface area unavailable with copper due to weight restrictions, and therefore arguably better cooling as a result.

Very few chipset heatsinks come with any sort of mounts because most chipsets are different in terms of pin spacing. It's a case of bodging with cable ties etc.
    That chipset heatsink is pretty hilarious for a basic Geforce, but it looks identical to the board my friend had for his fileserver, a red MSI board with a Geforce 6100 IGP. His has long since been replaced with a Gigabyte 740G AMD board as he wanted more than 2 S-ATA ports and actually have the ability to downclock the CPU at idle :p

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd advoid anything SilenX. SilenX are the lowest quality PC component manufacturer of all time. They make Rosewill, Qtec and Raidmax look like Seasonic :p

Edit: Redirected where?