1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

How bad can it be? Its copper and a fan LOL!

The link seems to change to another address. At least on my PC. My guess is so it can be tracked. Perhaps that's paranoia though :S

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I've already tried the Cooler master, and they suck! Here is the answer! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129036 It's the best fan there is for hot nVidia chipsets! It dropped Russell's NB temp 17C, from 53C to 36C, and the 430 chipset is known to be a hottie! I didn't even remove the heatsink and re-do the thermal paste with Ceramique, like I usually do, I just screwed it in between the fins, because I did it in place! At 2200 rpm, it's quiet, and 6.5 cfm is more than enough airflow, and they stand up real well. Don't balk at the price, because there's nothing else you can buy that will do as good a job! I bought the Enzotech Forged copper heatsink and used the same fan. There was no difference in temperatures between it and the stock GigaByte Aluminum heatsink with the same fan mounted on it! It's all I've used for years now.
    Yes those round things are capacitors!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The fan will give you a headache and fail after a couple of months.

I'm not getting any redirects on newegg links, where are you ending up?

Edit: Just noticed my message came in after Russ'. I was referring to the SilenX fan, not the Antec.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, you think that a simple fan with the current Heatsink will suffice? I like the looks of that fan by the way!

Example of redirect
    E.g.[/b] http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-4129487-10446076?sid=skim4051X642410&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newegg.com%2FProduct%2FProduct.aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16835226019

Thanks for the education by the way russ ;) "Capacitors" I wasn't sure.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Er no, I don't have that. Spyware on your PC maybe?

Edit: Although it is in my history. Hmmm, are you pasting newegg links with or without the search context? I remove the search context as it tidies up the URLs and isn't necessary.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't paste search context. I click on an item, and then paste that EXACT url/item#

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Eeek! Guess I have more than one task tomorrow ;)

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    The redirects are newegg updating for this weeks specials! Happens every week about this time! I'm 100% positive it will work. I put one in every build I can fit it on! I've been using them for over 3 years, and none has gone south yet! It fits perfectly on that particular heatsink! I would have put one on mine but there's no way to attach it. I usually buy them 5 at a time to save shipping. They ran out of them and I was only able to get one! If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands!

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

omeg I was just gonna say ask Russ, he can find anything, every time I asked him for a certian something he always finds it, I wouldn't be suprised if I asked him to find me some hot mamma on a certain corner in South Philly he would probably find me one LOL. I don't know how he does it so fast all the time but he does.

With the links I'm not getting re-directed but I keep getting double pages which is weird I never saw that before, I use AOL so maybe it works different with them than being re-directed. But anyway something is haywired with AD at times lately, I still even keep getting e-mails for so called updated links from AD on this thread several times but they are not updated, just same pages all the time, not complaining just trying to let AD know some things are still screwed up.

And last ddp said that zip ties will come undone in the heat, are we talking about the same kind of ties people use to tie up loose wires and the same cops use at times instead of handcuffs, cause I never seen those get undone no matter what, we use to use the same for many things for construction work that could be involed in heat or cold as long as not extreme heat cause of course they would melt, I don't have the knowledge you guys have but I can't see any kind of extreme heat inside a PC so please enlighten me.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

newegg link works alright for me.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well chipset heatsinks rarely come with any means to mount a fan anyway, it's going to be a heath-robinson affair regardless, so size is largely unimportant, and the bigger the better!

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Forgot how tiny these little buggers can be ;)
    [​IMG]

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you're used to nvidia GPUs I'm not surprised, their dies are almost as big as the card itself.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you said 45MM? Could you give me a measurement between the center of the two push pins. I save these and I have one in my hand that's right at 2 3/8" between the center of the holes. it has the thermal pad and the foam collar that keeps it from breaking the chip core. If it will fit, it's yours! The fan fits it perfectly. That's why I keep them, because they are light years better than the ones from Asus, and a whole lot quieter! Just let me know!

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've only seen the actual chips a few times :p

Let us assume that this is my chip for the moment. My pic was pretty blurry to say the least. Are the tiny components in this pic, sitting lower than the chip? I'm concerned that I may have to raise the heatsink off the chip ever so slightly. Much like MSI did with some kind of adhesive square that I cut off. If I had to guess, I'd say that the chip is slightly higher than the tiny components seen here.

Ok. It is higher than the tiny things. I took a raiser knife and rocked it across the chip to the tiny components. There's at least 2 hundredths, to a 1/32 if an inch difference in height.

From the center of the hole, to the center of the other hole on the heatsink, it is exactly 47mm.

[​IMG]

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Inches, please! I don't have a metric ruler. This "is" an MSI Heatsink, and it does have the thin dense foam square ring and the thermal pad, that keeps it from damaging the chip itself so I know exactly what you are talking about. a 40mm fan is a perfect fit! It's exactly 1 5/16" from center of the hole to center of the other hole that the push pins go into. I removed the pins to get a more accurate measurement. I just clean the pad with a Q-Tip and a little alcohol, and apply a little Ceramique, and they work fine!

Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hole to hole is 1 7/8 inches.

I reapplied tim. I used the Diamond paste that we've talked about a while back. Right as its about to enter windows, it freezes up. It's even worse then it was. So the culprit is now OBVIOUSLY the northbridge. The little components don't heat up do they? Only the chip? Which I generously applied Tim. Perhaps more though? MSI was not bashful with the white stuff ;)

The heatsink was noticeably warm. Not hot, but brow raising warm.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    The one I have in my hand can be done in less than a minute. You just need long enough screws. they screw right in between the fins. I installed Russell,s fan while the computer was running! It was that easy!

Russ