1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've been pretty fortunate myself. 7 motherboards in under 4 yrs, and only 1 of them went tits up. 4 Gigabytes and 3 MSI's. It was an MSI that went Tits up. Probably the Nforce chipset that was buggy too. I've been hearing that they're not the best of chipsets. And my remaining MSI that also has an Nforce chipset, requires extreme cooling to boost its longevity. It really doesn't bother me though. The board gave me 3+ yrs. In my scheme of things, a year is about all I care for. Then the old board becomes a secondary or secondaries secondary LOL! Though next upgrade, I'll likely sell the 790X board. along with the 940 phenom. Probably pretty cheap too. I'm just that way. Probably offer AD users first. THEN ebay ;)

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Can anyone tell me why when I installed Malwarebytes on my neighbor's computer there is a phantom see through security shield on the desktop icon? Is there something I need to do? I hate Vista and all it's security BS!

Thanks,
    Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Check your pm's russ. I just made your day ;)

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Funny you should mention that, i fell foul of that problem myself a couple nights ago. Very annoying but i just adapted the syntax to copy only the folders i wanted, but as you might have found out, there's also syntax to specifically exclude folders. One thing to be vey careful of are the Purge and Mirror options, use theose incorrectly and you'll lose files from the source drive if they don't exist on the destination drive.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Jeff: I disagree, the most complex and theoretically the most difficult parts to make, CPUs, are pretty reliable the majority of the time. There is no reason for solid state electronics to fail really, if there is no environmental damage.

6. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

It's a good think you mentioned that, I almost used the mirror feature on a another drive under the impression it only removed files from the destination drive (i.e. made the destination drive a mirror of the source). Think I'll stick to standard copying for now lol.

7. creaky

Don't give up so easily :), i love Windows copy/paste as much as anyone, but robocopy's too clever to give up on so easily. I got around the problem with the /XN & /XO combination. Normally i'd fire up a linux machine, share the source & destination drives or folders, and fire up a bit of command line syntax, this way i get to do the command line thing without firing up another machine. I suppose i could install VirtualBox or a.n.other virtual machine program, but i tend to shy away from them, i prefer a real, tangible machine. There's nothing to learn if a virtual machine breaks, at least if a real machine breaks it takes a bit of fixing. Maybe that's just me though :).
    Another reason i keep CPU cycles free on my main machine though is that i run Seti@Home/MilkyWay@Home the whole time the machine is on, i'd rather my cores are doing something constructive for their entire uptime.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I didn't mean I was giving up on robocopy, just the /MIR option.

When F@H quit working for me I started running World Community Grid and often don't even turn my rig off at night lately so it can keep crunching :\

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

just bought a WD20EARS over the OCZ vertex2E 60GB SSD.

realised i will get it (intel G3) next year, with the sandybridge/bulldozer, and hopefully 7 series.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So far I have no complaints about the WD20EARS. Though it may be the culprit for a failed BD burn recently. There was a curious I/O error. Given the expensive media that BD is, it makes it difficult to trouble shoot. It would cost me roughly 30 - 50 USD, to determine what's going on... with probably no left over discs. Where as dvds, I could spend that much and have probably 50 - 100 left over...

11. creaky

Misco have the WD20EARS at an almost giveawy price of £62 plus VAT now, so will be buying another couple come payday being as i don't pay the VAT (or shipping). Can't fault the discs personally, just that they fill up so fast :eek:

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah the price has dropped to around £70 inc. at most stores, but still, it had been falling for weeks, I don't regret buying when I did, I was always going to lose out at some point, with the way hardware prices change, in particular with the slight increase of the value of the pound versus the dollar.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm curious if anyone with the "CoolIT ECO-R120" have heard it gurgle (Air bubbles) at times? If it isn't that, then I have a fan making funny sounds. But I swear it sounds like air bubbles LOL! Russ? Will? ☻

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

If you have a leak, it'll be more apparent than just sound because you'd have a physical drip. If it's gurgling, like the pump is cavitating, you may very well have an underfilled loop cycling air. s far as experience with the product itself I can't tell you much. The only one I've installed apparently works just fine...

@Sam, WTF on MSN dude? Friends or siblings get onto your computer? For the record if it was you, I don't really appreciate your sense of humor...

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I sent you a message about it but you're offline.
    Yeah that would be my brother. Despite having never done so in 8 months, windows live messenger decided to automatically sign in on their laptop at work. He was leaving messages there to attract my attention in the hope that I'd see them, but I wasn't at my PC at the time. So er, sorry about that :p

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I heard the sound before My last blow out at least twice. There were no loose fluids. I hear the sound once a day, if that. I was simply curious if I am a rare case ;)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I've had mine in and out at least 6 times and I've never heard a peep or a gurgle out of it! not even with the hotter AM2 3800+ single in it. Do you by any chance have it plugged into the power fan header on the motherboard? Neither the pump or the KamaBay fan like that header and both make funny noises when connected to it1

Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have the pump connected to the Power supply directly ;)

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I heard the sound yet again. However, this time it sounded more like a fan flutter. Perhaps a bearing or sleeve is failing. I wonder if the air pressure from my blowout harmed one of the fans. It was pretty powerful...

If I had to guess, I'd say it was either the 230mm fan on the side, or one of the radiator fans.

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well Omeg it much be your fan ,My Question are you doin the Push-Pull configuration Like me a Russ? with the fan it came with pushing and the Scythe SY1225SL12SL pulling?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185056&cm_re=120mm-_-35-185-056-_-Product
    I have my pump and both fans pluged directly in my Power Supply unit not into the board.I never heard any funny sounds from the pump.I can't hear or tell it's running either it's so smooth you would need a stephoscope to hear like a heart beat in your chest,Check them Fans one maybe goin Out:)

If use Air especially High pressured air pump Hold them Blades with your hand cause you can damage the fan by pushing it way pass it's Rated rpm's limit. I've done it before Believe me When. I don't have air handy. I use Rubbing alcohol & Q.Tips to clean my Blades it cuts thru that Dust quick and drys fast to...;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010