1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I agree with bigwill. When you blow out your case make sure you hold the fans in place. I usually put a chunk of scotch tape on each one or better yet just stick my finger in it when I'm blowing it out.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I likely exceeded the Rpm then. I was laughing when it did it too... :S

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a pretty comical idea to exceed a fan's maximum rpm and damage the bearing by blowing compressed air on it, but if it's a really powerful spray then I suppose it's easily doable.

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Have you Found the Fan it maybe that's making the noise?

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No. It only makes the sound 2 - 3 times a day. Which makes it difficult to pinpoint. I am due for another blowout though.

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

All man. I fired up my old EP35C-DS3R with E8400 and The Win Xp OS Cause, I haven ran it in awhile to update some software and do some video editing.I was looking for some AVI Compression software to compress from mb to kb but could'en find nothing until.I came arcoss Xilisoft HD Video Converter it had a Fake rogue anti-spyware program attached to the download and it was messing with my system bad. I thought. I may have to wipe the Drive it would'en even let me get to the Desktop at all at first and when.I did it would'en even let me open Internet Explorer or FireFox neither to surf, Here it is if never had it B4 and BEWARE what you download cause AVG did'nt even detect it

[​IMG]

I went through all these steps to get Rid of it and it worked Bye,Bye never again and got a pretty good spyware software out the deal.I never heard of. I hope so be careful on what you download Guys all. I wanted was a compression program and. I came out with infection...
    here's the site. I got my help from put it in your favorites you never NO when you may need it.I printed out my instructions
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-thinkpoint

all yea can anybody point me out to some good compression(safe)software for AVI's. I wanna go from MB's to KB's in size if possible there just short clips.I'm working with Thanks for the Hassle if any...;)

direct Link to Filehippo
    http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
  7. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Indeed. Video compression is a very specific algorithm. Winzip, winrar, 7-zip, etc were not designed/compiled with video compression in mind. Video compression is a much more complex process ;)

I always liked Dr. Divx myself. But now I'm more into HD files. Which is where Programs like Megui, and Ripbot264 come in handy :D

9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Info Will, I like the way this guy explained things, very basic that even I understood most of it.

10. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I've been a fan of http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ for a while now,they have good removal information on the latest malwares and such. Of course "most" times Windows runs different after removal than before and I reinstall windows on "most" computers anyway, but it has much information available.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

If anyone at work brings me home machines to fix, I just use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to scan, Spybot Search & Destroy, and make sure the virus scanner is up to date. For work machines it's a bit easier, though i still use the same programs. Once in a while i have to follow detailed removal instructions if someone's gone to town on getting infected with seriously bad ones.

I've said it before and i'll say it again :) - i've lived on the internet since it was born, and i've only ever caught one, maybe two very minor viruses. The other week i had a machine to fix and it have over 70 nasties on it, once i'd resurrected it i told the guy to slap his family and teach them how to use the internet, you have to really go out of your way to pick up nasties, maybe i've just got some kind of spidey sense on what to avoid. (Nah, i think a lot of people out there have flashing neon signs on their heads saying 'nasties come get me').

As to that crapola Xilisoft, i'm afraid the homepages of programs such as that should be enough warning signs to run a mile, there's plenty enough reputable freeware out there, AutoGK to name but one.

I switched my home machines from AVG to Symantec Endpoint Protection a few months ago, no real reason, we use it at work so i felt like a change.

We bought one of these today, for the boardroom at one of the branches, very smart little things, it's going to be connected to a projector ~
    [​IMG]

Just need to find reasons to buy some more :p

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wants to be computer when it grows up LOL! Cute little bugger ;)

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I see its uses Creaky, but the VIA namebrand scares me a bit...

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

VIA over nvidia any day.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Considering recent events, I agree 100%. It may be Via now, but this will probably inspire other companies to compete. Gotta love a friendly competition ;)

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey creaky (or anyone). This is an S-video switch. Notice how buttons control which inputs are being relayed to the single output. Is there a cheap ethernet option like this? Or simply a cheap typical ethernet switch that only has one input and 2 outputs? See, I got my brother a Wii USB to Lan adapter. Well, there's only one ethernet cable in its vicinity. It's already connected to a switch in another room, for the HTPC. Switches however can be connected to other switches.
    I guess my question is, what's my cheapest option here?
    [​IMG]

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why on earth would you want such a device for Ethernet. An Ethernet switch can send an input from any port to an output on any port, without needing to send it to unnecessary recipients, it's all done automatically. It's just called a Switch.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll try to explain better.

I have a 30 foot ethernet running through an attic, to the living room, from a switch in the dining room. An htpc requires it for internet. The Wii is simply an experiment. It has never been connected to the net. It also needs an ethernet. My options are yet another switch in the living room. Or run another 30 foot cable through the attic. What would you do?
    I just saw a 10$ switch on newegg...

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Switches can be plugged into themselves, just get another switch.

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Also after factoring in the cost of a 30ft ethernet cable and your time spent running it the switch is cheaper lol.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010