1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I have had trouble with VIA hardware, no trouble with software/drivers.
    I have not had trouble with Nvidia hardware, but trouble with software/drivers.

IMHO software can be recoded and fixed but when hardware melts, its a bit more difficult of a fix.
    Perhaps in the last few years things have changed and my statement isn't as valid as it once was. But then again I avoid either brand for mobo chipsets, and havent updated my video card past the 8800, so i haven't had experience with either name for over 3 years.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

nvidia's hardware is far worse than their software, and indeed VIA's hardware. That's the issue here, not the drivers.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

@bigwill68,
    Until I read the "How to" you attached I didn't realize that I have already seen and dealt with this Malware attack about two weeks ago. I instantly recognized the M$ logo as a fake because there was no copyright mark with the logo, and rebooted the computer by pressing reset and immediately ran Malwarebytes v. 1.46, which gave me the same screen and information shown in the How To, and I removed the files permanently. When I rebooted, AVG popped up a warning and I permanently removed the root file it found. I also took the precaution of doing a simple system restore, back two days just to be certain that I would not have any more problems from it. Then I ran Malwarebytes again, and sure as S#*t, it was there! Ain't there no more! I'm only guessing but I think if I had run Malwarebytes in safe mode, it would have removed everything permanently on the first try! Still, it's gone for good!

Russ

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@ Russ

All these Piggy Back viruses with downloads these days you don't see them unless you have the right anti-spyware or Virus software. I did'nt see this until. I rebooted someone wrote a code to attach it to that Xilisoft HD Video Converter software. I was mad as a Hot Pepper. I remember.I did use to use ZoneAlarm http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm
    Back. I wonder if it's still any good?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

will, i was using that zonealarm firewall till it screwed up & would sometimes not load anything except my wallpaper. reboot & it usually worked but after to many times i just removed it. samething was happening with a customer.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I guess I was hoping for something in a tiny form factor ;) E.g. The following:
    [​IMG]
    They sure are expensive though! I guess a switch it will have to be. But perhaps I'll wait and see how much longer the HTPC lasts :S

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Viruses are one of the few things that REALLY piss me off. What's the point? Do people really spend all day writing programs to damage your computer? If I download the wrong file my personal property gets damaged? Bulls*** Anyone found distributing viruses should be given life in prison with no chance of parole. And that should be a universal world-wide law so as to discourage any new viruses. The US government can track down predators and serial killers with almost nothing to go on but they can't control the crappy hacker population? In fact, I know a few hackers, and to call these people hackers is probably an insult to my friends. Because real hackers don't damage peoples' personal property, they make things better.

As far as AV programs go, Comodo Internet Security Premium is one of the best I've ever found. A firewall and AV in one. It rates generally high by testers and is very well designed and supported. Not only that but it's a premium service for free forever. It used to have a "free" version, but now they've added the Premium version which adds a lot of the features and protection from the Pro version. It even has a sandbox mode which I've found particularly useful for preventing the above mentioned attacks. And just for the record I've never had false positives even with my large collection of "acquired" games. AVG gets loads of false positives for me. Comodo is also resource light :D

Also for the record, I run weekly virus scans every Sunday night at midnight and I've been virus free on this format for 6+ months. Thank god for repair installs and external scanning though because infection is inevitable. Luckily about 90% of viruses can be removed completely with a little effort. Sadly though I usually reformat due to damage done by myself XD

Gonna stretch this one though. My Intel machine has been on the same format for a little over 2 years and is perfectly clean due to how little daily computing it sees. Mostly games and file management. I'd like to try and make this Windows 7 install reach that. Due to its design I feel that it's one of the best Windows candidates yet for keeping a format fresh and performing properly. The new streamlined repair installs are a godsend.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't get it, why would you buy homeplug networking when you can just have a switch. If you already have a cable that spans the distance, it simply plugs into a switch, and the other two devices you want plug into other ports on the switch.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I understand that. But as far as I know, most switches are ghastly large :p

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Netgear Prosafe GS105. It's really pretty small, not much larger than a homeplug adapter. It's smaller in fact than the homeplug adapter you posted.

[​IMG]

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, that is pretty small. And Gigabit speeds too!

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ha thats smaller than the little hub I had in place of a router a while back. Relieving drop in viruses when I switched to the wireless router though XD

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2404

Still concerned running your computer 24/7?

I ran my pavilion 7905 all the time when I lived in Minnesota. Including the monitor. My electric bill indeed averaged $30USD. I was of course a stickler about shutting off lights and what not :p I think I'll slap this on my step father tonight. He just asked me if I'd be broke paying rent each month. I've known for some time now, that I leave a very small dent on their economics each month. VERY small. Unless I'm gaming, my computer has shown to never exceed 315W. And since I jump and run when they ask me to do yard work, and change their friggin vehicles oil! :p

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6 cents per kilowatt hour, is that really how cheap electricity is in the US? It's typically 12 pence per kilowatt hour here, so 3x the price.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What a horrifyingly bad website :p

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Are you saying you don't trust it, or you simply don't like their layout?

Oh I see, you mean the overlaying portion ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You honestly don't see anything wrong with this?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I updated :p

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Some places in the US does have really cheap electricity, although I believe cheap electricity is the exception and not the norm. I don't remember exactly but I believe the lowest tier in my area is 12 cents/kilowatt :(