1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Something to note about the 16Gb drive. Windows indicates connection with its typical connection sound almost immediately. But Explorer does not show the drive for ~60s. It is discontinued on neweggs site. Perhaps this will be a thing of the past. It is the only drive that has done this. I have 2 of them. They both exhibit this problem.

I'll be going over to my bros shortly. Try and solve this Display issue.

They also interrupt printer connections. Weird...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Have multiple 4GB and 8GB HP and Sony flash drives and all of them work perfectly...

As far as Windows being slow to install I've noticed that as well. My DFI board does it extremely fast from a flash drive, like 10-15 minutes. My Gigabyte boards are like what Omega says, about a half hour.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, either its something about 16Gb drives, or something special about that particular chip. Probably won't buy another though. I wouldn't mind a super large SD card. Perhaps when they aren't expensive.

I wonder if it has something to do with some of the chipsets. Or perhaps the bios.

I got the overscan corrected. I went through the help menu reading options. Found something for overscan. It told me to RIGHT click on a screen on the menu. If I hadn't right clicked on that, I may have never found it. It should be easier to find than that :p

By the way, I recently discovered with 7-zip that it doesn't require the windows temp folder. Its simply a windows explorer issue that causes that. Since most of my files reside on storage drives, I tell 7-zip to extract from one folder to another. It doesn't require a temp folder :D Apparently no one in this thread knew that either, or they would have helped a guy out :p

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

And there's something wrong with WinRAR? Never needed to do something that WinRAR couldn't do...

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

WinRAR is a pay program though isn't it? 7-Zip is free, and does everything that winrar does, I believe.

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Free version works forever, you just have to close the popup telling you its past your trial date.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I gather you're a fan of winrar as well. I think I may have used it once, once upon a time. Bumped into 7-zip and haven't looked back. In fact it's required for archives on one of my drives. They're in the actual 7-zip format.

8. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I prefer 7zip over winrar because there's no annoying popup and the LZMA compression method, which winrar doesn't have afaik (I haven't used winrar in many years though).

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Correct sir. Became a fan when i realized it was not only for .zip files but also will view the contents and unpack .iso files.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind ;)

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I just "acquired" the full version through other means... Takes less than 30 seconds even on my slow internet...

WinRAR is totally worth it when you realize how powerful it is. 7zip can do some stuff, but WinRAR does all that, plus everything else.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I will definitely have to give WinRAR another shot ;)

I have now bought 5 Gigabyte boards. 5/5 were in fully working order when I received them. I think it's pretty obvious where my loyalties lie LOL! Gigabyte is the new Asus! What do you think of that Asus? I hope i'm not out of line here. I think we've pretty much established just how good Asus is in the scheme of things ;) And besides, there's nothing wrong with a friendly competition. I hope Asus does try harder. The consumer always reaps the benefits :D

↓↓One big happy family :) ↓↓
    GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    GA-MA790X-UD4P
    GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H
    GA-790XTA-UD4 My baby :)
    GA-MA785GM-US2H

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Not seen an ASUS board I liked in several years. Totally aimless board design, no standardized features, obscure 3rd party components. Gigabyte is a stark contrast.

For the record

GA-M61P-S3
    GA-MA78G-DS3HP
    GA-P35-DS3L
    GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.33
    GA-MA790X-UD4P(Current prospect for my main rig)

All still going strong except for the M61P which was an Nvidia chipset...

Just for the record haven't actually installed my 955BE in the main rig. Going to be using the Gigabyte 790X for it though I still have to get around to it... prolly today.

Also have a pair of XFX HD6850s on the way. Selling my 2x 5850s and 2x 4870s to recoup the price plus a little extra ;D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I'm a fan of WinRAR. It's payware, but er, you know :p

full Gigabyte fleet in my systems too, P31-DS3L, X38-DS4, X48-DS4 and P55A-UD4, though I think the audio on the X38 is starting to go bad :S
    Could just be the ATI HDMI audio though.

Lol wow at replacing your 5850s, they didn't last long!
    Delays to the 6970 disappoint me. I suspect that's going to push prices up.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The 790X is an excellent board. My 940 phenom resides there. I do all my Blu Ray encoding there. I'll likely upgrade its CPU to 1090t in the near future. I've chatted it up in the Doom9 forum, and heard that X264 encoder can utilize MORE than a 6 core processor :D Which more than warrants the purchase of 6 core phenom. I wonder how bulldozer would run X264...

But of course, bulldozer will require a whole new configuration/motherboard, AM3+. I'm hoping it will drive 6 core phenom costs down ;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

why sidegrade?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think he explained all his reasons in his post :p

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Are you talking to me? Kind of vague... :p

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

no jeff, still personalyl a waste of money, but what ever floats his boat.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Aren't the 6850's generally equal to the 5850's, except they use less power? And if he comes out ahead on funds, sounds like a good deal to me, provided the rest is true ;)