1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well his point was that it wasn't, the sale price of 5850s is such that the 6850s were essentially free. It's probably not something I'd do, but still, it does make some sense.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well moving to the 955BE and the 790X board means everything runs cooler as the 940 is a furnace already and the board cooling is skimpy on my DFI board. Moving over to the 6850s, while coming out basically even, will also reduce the heat considerably and net me better Crossfire scaling. I think after selling the 4870s and the 5850s, I'll be up by quite a bit. The going price of the 5850s covers the 6850s easily, and I think I have a buyer for the both of them together. The first 4870 is already sold, covering my cost for the 955BE. The Gigabyte 790X board was free, got it broken but a BIOS flash fixed it brand new. The second 4870 is not sold yet, but I'm sure it'll be gone in a few days. 940BE is already gone to a friend for peanuts. DFI board will probably be sold soon as well.

All of these changes equate to a significant decrease in power consumption, a significant decrease in heat, a slight gain in performance, and I get rid of all the hardware stacking up and make some cash doing it. Basically updating with the best sh** available for my platform for free. How does this not make sense?

The fact that the 6850 is so cheap, is what makes this an option for me. I'm in a unique position right now, where the upgrade I want is cheaper than the used selling price of what I have. HD6850s are already ordered for $189.99 a piece. 5850s should hopefully sell at maybe $180-190 a piece. The cards are essentially new, so this is not unreasonable.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

In regards to the Winrar and 7 Zip discussion,
    Win rar is the better program by far, but you also really need to have 7 Zip as well, otherwise you will wind up throwing perfectly good rar files away as corrupted as I used to do! A while back, I had an rar of a Japanese Gymnast training for the Olympics that I wanted to see. Win rar kept telling me that the file was either damaged or corrupt, so I trashed it, and downloaded it again. it still wouldn't work. I just happened to mention it to a friend of mine on line, and he sent me this 7 Zip thing in an email and told me to try it. I installed it and right clicked on the file, clicked Extract Files, and presto it worked fine, and the video played without a hitch. I've also come across this problem with Videos from Eastern Europe as well. Same deal, it worked fine with 7 Zip, but wouldn't open with Win rar! Both Videos were Avi files, so it seems that not all Avi files work well with Win rar, something about their file structure, because I also had to download a different codec in order for Gom Player to play the Eastern Europe one, but the Japanese one plated fine. The moral to the story is that if it won't open and gives an error message with Win rar, then try 7 Zip. Or if 7 Zip is your normal choice and something won't open, then try Win rar! I've had both installed on my computer ever since then. One of them always works!

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Never seen a rar corrupted that wasn't actually corrupted... :S

5. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Being a 7zip user I can't speak from experience, but I've heard winrar will report a false "archive corrupted" if the file name contains unicode characters.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Never run into any of those issues... If the archive works, it works. Corrupted means corrupted. I haven't found 7zip to be capable of anything WinRAR can't already do better. Even the most stubborn archives are no match for it. Of course it depends on your actual sources for getting the files, so not to say 7zip is useless. But for me, personally, 7zip is redundant and unnecessary.

So yeah 1 5850 sold this morning. Second one will be gone to the same buyer when my 6850s get here. Second 4870 has a few offers, maybe get a case of beer or a bottle of vodka thrown in :D

Also think the DFI board is gone to the same buyer as the 4870. Man am I glad all this stuff is relatively recent :D

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well I'll be darned! WinRAR can decompress .7Z files. I suppose that shouldn't surprise, since 7z is open source ;)
    Sorry to remain off topic.

Guess what Russ. My radiator is already due for blow out! I shined a flashlight in there, and it already looks halfway clogged! Unbelievable LOL!

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Rads can be like that. Heatsinks not so much because they use an array of fins. Radiators use something more like a mesh, so instead of passing right through, they clog. It's a pain, but the cooling is totally worth it IMO.

Hopefully adding the coup de grace piece to my total overhaul at christmas time, a Coolit Eco 120 ALC :D

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Definitely worth the radiator. Best cooling method I've used yet. I would like to try true water cooling eventually though. Not yet though. I feel confident in starting that venture, but the times just aren't right yet :p I would like to water cool the 6 core phenom and bulldozer...

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

One of the wheels on my 932 failed on the way back from Fragsoc this evening. Anyone know a place that sells coolermaster spares? With no support or returns department, I'm not really sure where to start.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You can have my wheels. Not sure how much that will cost to ship to you though...

Not sure where they are either! LOL!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    The actual message that comes up is, as best as I can remember it is, "Cannot open this file. It is either damaged or corrupted." This could have been because I was using Ver,3.20 as this was a while ago. Now I use Ver. 3.70 and I have never seen the problem since. All I am saying is that if you can't open something with either Win rar or 7 Zip, try the other one before you give up and scrap the file! Both programs run from the Right click menu, so it is pretty handy, and both programs are very small!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I don't use the wheels on my HAF. Wish I could send em but yeesh what a hassle to send HAF wheels overseas XD

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It won't bother me. As long as he pays the shipping. My mother seems to think it's roughly 10 - 13USD. Could be less though. Really need to weigh them. But they're in a box in storage. I won't touch them til I know he wants them. I pm'd him ;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Someone say vodka? Don't mind if I do...

[​IMG]

Its time to take a break from swapping an extra PC into an HTPC box for my living room anyway.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I must have that bottle!

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for posting that Deadrum(Seriously)! That's gonna be one of my brothers Christmas gifts. He loves his Vodka(So do I). He also loves skulls.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    Too Kool for words!

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

http://www.crystalheadvodka.com/welcome

Dan Aykroyd's signature brand. Quote the webpage

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Got that skull vodka the other day. Has the supposed signature of Dan Akroyd in felt marker. Cool stuff. I may buy some for myself one day.

I've heard that strange sound again off and on today. Remember when I thought I heard air bubbles in my radiator, dismissed it, and figured it a fan? Well, I'd like to find a software now that can monitor the fan speeds, and I can discover which one it is. Speedfan is all fine and good, but I want a utility that can measure over the course of say 30 minutes, and maybe high resolution? Given the sound I hear, the rpms have to plummet greatly enough to see this on graph. Any suggestions? Speedfan only shows the graph in a tiny window. I may not be able to tell which fan it is like this. unless I sit here and keep resetting speedfan every minute or so :p

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010