1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Everest should work if you don't need a graph, just set it to log your cooling fans rpm.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The only ability I see with Everest is creating a report, which is only for one period of time. Basically a snapshot. I have seen some curious behavior with speedfan, but it might just be paranoia on my part. The FAN i'm looking at is only varying by a couple RPM's. Hardly conclusive.

Fan#5 is more erratic then fan#2. This may simply be the way each of these fans behave though.
    [​IMG]

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Go to File -> Preferences and look towards the bottom of the list on the left, there should be logging section listed. From there you can enable logging and select what sensors and system properties are logged.

[​IMG]

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks Red_Maw. I haven't gotten that in depth with Everest. I generally just use it as a monitoring program. Specifically, temperature sensors. While employing your method, the sound presented itself once again. I'm not sure why the sound was not logged yet. It's either because Everest only refreshes every 5sec, or the sound I'm hearing is not a fan. Which raises the question once again. Is it air in my water system, or is the pump making strange sounds :S Gonna have to see if others with the Coolit have experienced these strange sounds.

Thanks again :)

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sleeve bearing fans vary in their rpm fairly considerably anyway.

6. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

You could try pulling components 1 at a time to try and find the culprit, it's what I'm doing to find the squeak in my rig.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Or I can wait til it fails. Sure suck if it's the pump though. I'd have to scramble to put the Tuniq tower back in. Of course I have the bios set to alert of high temps, So I won't fry the CPU ;)

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, if you don't know what's causing it, what makes you so sure or fearful it's your pump? It could just as likely be anything else. Maybe what you think is a gurgle is something else entirely. Maybe vibration? I know my Tuniqs make funny noises unless I screw the fans in properly. Maybe something of a similar sort for you?

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I always assume the worst. Or at least strongly consider it. It could very likely be some kind of vibration. What I should probably do is move the tower to the opposite side of my desk. It would be easier to pinpoint the noise, if it were on the other side.

10. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I'm thinking of upgrading my machine during this holiday sales season. Thinking Intel because research led me to believe that the top i5's and all i7's are currently on a level above AMD. The side of me that says save money wants an i5 760 but then tell myself i5 has no hyper-threading support, since i wont be doing another total upgrade for a while, spend the extra $75-100 on i7.

I'm looking for
    -arguments for or against my Intel statement (no fanboyism please, just facts)
    -help deciding between i5 and i7
    -best motherboard choices for whichever CPU wins, RAM also

TIA everyone

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wait till sandybridge :)

12. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Sandy Bridge, and hopefully Bulldozer too, should be out Q1/Q2 of next year with any luck so if you think you can afford the new stuff you might consider waiting.

Unless you run applications that can take advantage of the extra threads I see little point in getting an i7 over an i5. And for ram, although it's a bit pricey I absolutely love the mushkins I have.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I may not even go bulldozer for a while. I want to, but I have other problems at the moment. I sure hope I pick up some money this holiday season, +the upcoming tax return. Need a new vehicle, and I desperately want a new camera. Not a cheapy either. I want a very expensive canon camera :D
    So when Bulldozer IS released, hopefully Phenom 1090t cost will be driven down enough for me to afford it. I believe I can live with that processing engine for my X264 needs.
    Gonna have to start cutting expenditures...

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You could wait until Sandy Bridge, but there's not a lot worth waiting for really, if you want the PC soon, buy it now, you won't lose out much. Only Bulldozer is going to be of any interest this next gen. However, it will be a lot longer to wait.

15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

17. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

It had rebate bringing it down to $55, I wasn't sold on the card just the price.
    I like your suggestion, was put off at first by that displayport technology, but I wont need any adapters for the other 2 ports so its a non-issue.

tentative list:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150504 ---XFX5670
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145258 ---Corsair 3x2GB @12800
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423 ---GA-X58-UD3R
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211 ---i7 950
    total=$690

I have case, HDD's, ODD's, a RAID controller card, and M-audio soundcard to add.
    Am i missing anything?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just because Displayport is there, doesn't mean you have to use it :p

The list looks good, you will need a power supply if you don't already have one spare to use.

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Displayport = I thought so too, just didn't phrase the thought as concisely as you.

PSU = Yes, i have one, forgot to list the Corsair 650W from my current system.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    I bought the same XFX card you posted, and it's excellent! I couldn't use it in my computer because the Ati software won't recognize my Sceptre monitor as plug and play. Windows does, Everest does, and so does Sandra, but it won't do 1680x1050 with my monitor! I installed it in Oxi, and it works fine with it. Age of Empires II & III look like entirely new and different games, the graphics have improved so much! I also added another 2GB of ram, for 4 GB! I imagine it would do the same for Doom III graphics. At $54 after the MIR, I don't see how you can go wrong with it! Does wonders for HD video as well! I just updated the firmware last week, to the latest one and it's even better than it was before. The detail in any of the games Russell plays with it, is just so much better! Great price, Great card, buy it!

Best Regards,
    Russ