1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

F8 isn't it? :S

Or you can run: "msconfig" and set it up there.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It always used to be F5, but I think F8 is a general key for the boot menu.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That's usually what I do, if I'm unable to enter windows, or am simply preferring a "safe" boot. Like if a clients machine is known to be infected, I won't even allow a normal boot ;)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If a machine is known to be infected you don't connect the ethernet cable :p

These days though it's rare that I need safe mode, often it's more a case of using boot utilities like Hiren's...

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If you're in safe mode (Without networking), the network driver isn't running.

But I understand, better safe than sorry lol

6. Archibald

Archibald Newbie

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Just thought I would pop in to day hello! Been a while the lot of you. Sam the way you are still going strong on here after all these years!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well hello there :)

Don't post anything like as often as I used to but yeah I'm still lurking. Spending 50+ hours a week in IT makes spending several more hours on forums slightly less appealing :D

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well hello there! Neither do I lol
    Not sure why I didn't receive email notifications for the more recent posts. Perhaps this post will remedy that.

Anyone buy any 6TB drive/s yet? Just bought a 2TB blue, and a 6TB blue. My WD20EARS drive is showing reallocated sectors, as well as both my 3TB drives. So this was more for redundancy purposes. I'm now pushing over 21.5TB.

Since the WD20EARS is still chugging along however, I'll probably create a software raid 1 of the 2-2TB drives. Giving me better read speeds. After I run a checkdisk operation, and maybe another full format.

A bit unimpressed with the write speeds I'm seeing during transfer to the 6TB drive(68.5 MB/second). Gonna take a while to transfer my data. I wasn't really aiming for a performance drive. Just storage. The 6TB will likely be docked/shelved based on need. Plus the price was one of the better for a 6TB. Warranty is also not the best(2yr).

But I'm betting these drives will hold me over for 1 or 2 years, and then I can see what storage means are offered, and go from there. 6TB/8TB drives are crazy expensive right now, if you ask me. I suppose I did spend $300 on the first 1TB drive though :eek:

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I haven't picked up any 6TB disks just yet - it's been a while since I've ordered one in rather than bought one for immediate requirement, and Amazon Prime Now tend only to stock 1-4TB drives. I do intend to upgrade at least one or two drives in my server with 6TB versions before too long, but that's waiting until the rebuild finally happens. Backing up its current state to offline disks is taking considerable time due to the USB3 controller being degraded on my only dock that will allow the use of drives larger than 2TB without wiping their contents.
    Today the near-10 year old 750GB Seagate still serving as the data drive in one of the other machines failed, so I will need to look at replacing that too...

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I suppose my slow transfer speed may be due to the WD20EARS. The current transfer is from it, to the WD60EZRZ. I'm used to seeing better transfers to that dock. It is USB 3.0.

The dock light (HDD activity light is slower than usual)

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately the 4-way dock that I use is actually very complicated inside, has its own CPU and everything, which has some annoying traits like shutting disks down at idle even if your PC is set not to do so in its own O/S. It also runs fairly hot as the fans that came with it have never worked (make a nasty smell and don't rotate so I leave them off!)
    The main issue I have at the moment is that I am defragmenting and sector-optimising every backup disk I have since if you have done so, your chances at recovering data off bad partitions are far higher.

Though there are numerous flaws with the USB3 dock I'm using, it's the only USB3 dock I have (of several) that actually allow the use of >2TB drives. Many state that they will work, but without 64-bit LBA support, if you connect a 3TB (or larger) drive to them that contains data, as soon as you flick the power switch all that data is wiped (as too will happen if you try putting more than 2.16TB of data on a drive in said dock) - large capacity disks via. GPT are a real nuisance, it's a poorly-implemented standard.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ouch! With that price, you really shouldn't have any complaints, other than the price lol

I bought my dual bay in 2013. It's worked without a problem ever since. Drive sleep is disable currently in windows, and the dock/bay behaves in that regard.

16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

6TB wow lol ...I never fixed the windows7 problem so did the free upgrade to Windows 10 and actually so far not bad , nice interface etc ...I know a lot of people are freakout about the privacy of Windows 10 compare to XP or 7 but i highly doubt there is any difference ...if microsoft is syping on us i don't know how to stop it other than not using microsoft product and go Apple or Linux

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Windows 7 problem? Other than certain jump list history issues, I really haven't had ANY problems with 7 :confused:

I've been itching to try windows 10, but I'd prefer try it on a separate machine first.

18. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Yeah I couldn't update Windows 7 and never found a fix other than reformatting

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I never update, unless it's highly beneficial. Since mine isn't broke, and my browsing is highly protected, I haven't seen the need.

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

What are you protecting your browser with ?