1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I knew you were in your 60's from previous emails you and I had. Anyway, have a great Xmas and a very Happy New Year.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thank you Sam, and a Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to You and Yours as well. I hope you enjoyed "O Holy Night!"
    [​IMG]
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Gentleman,
    Thank you guys! You made me $50! There were two errors in my 9 decades posts. Both were deliberate! I bet a friend of mine that you would pick out the major error (the 9th Decade) and completely missed the fact that my 8th Decade started Jan 1 2010, almost a year ago, even after I gave an explanation! Don't feel bad though, as my Psychology Professor pulled that one on the entire class about 25-26 years ago, and the whole class missed it too! All in good fun.

The Christmas carol I posted does not work. I can't believe that NBC had it removed for Copyright violation, so I had to resort to a different way around it! I had a friend make this video for me. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUOv6FVv11A
    [​IMG]
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Embarassed to say I completely forgot about that. MInd you, it depends where you set the starting point. You could be perverse and say that a new decade starts at year 1, not year 0.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Just having a little fun! LOL!! Sorry about the mess up on the video!

Warmest Regards,
    Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Just witnessed something strange with windows 7. I had nearly 300 Jpg's on my 4gb kingston flash. I told it to permanently delete the files. It told me 7.5minutes remain, and it was going very slow. Went into "disk management" and told it to reformat the drive to fat32(no change). It took it all of 10 seconds.

Windows code should be updated, so when deleting all files, it automatically reformats the drive(Same settings). Unless there's some reason this would be bad LOL!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Several reasons :p

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I have a red car. It goes fast. Therefore all red cars go fast?
    delete and reformat are different enough from each other to be considered the cliche comparing apples to oranges

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What reasons? Eh...don't answer that. This really isn't the right thread for this. I apologize. I really should ask the windows 7 forum this question :p

Deadrum, I did say if it was deleting 'ALL' files, that it should simply reformat. It would be like a super fast delete :p

Well...not really delete, it simply tells the flash drive that that area can be overwritten...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  10. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Happy Holidays everyone.

--

Normally when I delete everything on a drive I usually end up just reformatting it since I've noticed windows 7 has issues with deleting many files at once.

Also in case anyone's interested, my WD FASS drives are at fault for the issues I've been having with them. Tested both of them across 4 sata cables and 4 sata ports (2 on each MB/system I own) and encountered the same problems with every setup.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, remind me, what are these issues?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's an interesting halfway house between an SSD and a mechanical drive. The problem I have with it is that while the SSD 'bit' will be fast, first of all it won't be as fast as a proper SSD, as it's only very basic and very small. Secondly, the mechanical part of the drive won't be as fast as a proper mechanical drive either, as it's only a 2.5" drive.
    Cheap as it is for $120, to be quite honest, I think it makes more economical sense to buy a proper SSD and a 3.5" mechanical drive. For $160 you can get a 40GB Intel X25-V to install windows and basic programs on, and a 1TB WD Caviar Blue for the rest of the storage, giving you twice as much space, much quicker boot times and system performance.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Then again I can have it and another pure mechanical 500GB drive for only $9 more than the $160 you quoted. I don't want anything larger than a 500GB drive! Have to wait and see how it works out.

Thanks again,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why not? I haven't seen any major complaints against any 750s, nor the blue or black 1TB WDs yet.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    500GB drives like the 500 Black I have now, are single platter (less parts to break), so they are quieter, run cooler, have less vibration, and generally seem to last longer than the larger drives. Drives for me generally last about 10-12 years. my current boot drive, a Seagate 160 is almost 6 years old now I also don't want to lose 400+ movies on a 1TB drive in one shot, or deal with the time it takes to restore a larger drive. I may eventually get a 2TB drive, just to put backups of my 500GB drives on. With a docking station or a bay for a removable Sata drive, my 500s will likely become my movie library, and I won't be burning that many DVDs. One 2TB drive should hold about 800 movies as the backups with TruImage take about 230GB for each full 500GB drive. It does cost me more per GB, but I'm not fussed about it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Stick to what works I suppose, if you don't find yourself using that much space, I suppose it's practical. I would disagree that several small drives are quieter than one large drive though.

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As you know, I own one WD1001FALS, 15 months old, and eight WD20EARS drives, 2 months old. So far no problems with any of them.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

This is really scary...
    [​IMG]
    .5Tb consists of blu ray files alone. And less than half of this is backed up to optical disk :S If either of these drives were to crash, I'd probably die. I really should run a redundant array.