1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well Folks, I finally nailed down the sound and Buss glitch problem! I wouldn't have thought of it in a thousand years. Everest 4.60 caused the problem, if you can believe that! I always start it manually because Yahoo messenger sometimes interferes with Everest loading. I hooked up all the borrowed stuff, Keyboards, 4 channel USB to MIDI comverters, Pedals and all the other stuff, and played my heart out for about 2 hours. no glitches, or crashes. Both Optical and Coax SPDIF worked flawlessly! no Glitches when playing DVDs either! Now if that don't beat all!

Sent an email to GigaByte thanking them for their efforts, and apologizing for costing them so much time and effort!

Russ

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow. Simple mistake I guess. Not saying I'm better for thinking this(because you have WAYYY more experience than I), but I likely would have closed all unnecessary programs when testing things ;) Audio problems are very specific. I would have focused all my efforts on softwares that are designed for such schemes ;) Everest would not be something that is required for playback of audio ;) But of course, who would think that a simple monitoring program could wreak such havoc!

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I never even considered Everest since it's only monitoring software, it should be non-invasive! Apparently that is no longer the case The same software worked fine for months, so I just don't get it! Maybe it's windows updates. I refused Windows live updates, only to have M$ deny me access to my email until I did upgrade it! Of course I had to accept all the latest Bling Bling with it. They call that Blackmail where I come from! You know what I mean, all the stuff that takes extra steps to do the same thing as I did before with a simple click of the mouse! Stupid kid crap like that! After all you have to look "Cool" doing it! usually takes me about a week or two to figure out how to get rid of most of the crap that comes with the upgrades, and you can't get rid of it all!

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Everest really shouldn't effect the system the way it does. I remember sam saying it causes the system to eventually become unstable. I usually only check my temps and what not, and shut it down. They really should optimize the code.

Rarely have trouble with my email. But that's another problem entirely ;) It is a shame that people aren't given the choice about the bling. I'm not a programmer, but I can think of ways that it could be implemented...

5. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Sorry for the long delay; I've been away for the holidays since my last post.

The issue I have with these drives is that they behave like networked drives whose connection drops and is re-established 1-2 minutes later even though they're internal sata drives. Depending on the program accessing the drives you'll be able to pick up where you left off or it'll crash (usually freeze). Strange I know but after trying two drives with 4 sata cables and two different computers I can't think of any reason the problem isn't the drives.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omega: I'll solve it for you, the wd1001fals isn't as fast as a velociraptor, it's a 7200rpm drive!
    Russ: Everest, apart from crackling my sound severely, lags my computer so severely it's almost unusable, once i's been open for a few hours, eventually it will BSOD. I wasn't aware anyone was leaving everest open all the time, that'll do it!

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It just felt smoother at times. I haven't ran it like that for a while though. They're storage drives, I treat them as such now.

I noticed a cracking sound recently and discovered Everest was open! That's friggin messed up!

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    The funny thing is that I have been doing it for about 9 months with no problems! Then all of a sudden it started screwing up? BSODs while on yahoo messenger voice calls. Same with Windows messenger. It actually froze in the middle of a BSOD! never saw that before.

Russ

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Can't copy video? LOL! They never give up do they. It'll be circumvented. It always is. It's only a matter of time. They waist time and money on pointless endeavors. Never ceases to amaze me. I understand why, but it still seems silly from my vantage :p

I suspect this will turn many people off. Perhaps not enthusiasts though ;)

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I guess my post was a bit misleading, as it deals with streaming content. BUT wouldn't, if successful, be a precursor to physical media also? but yes you are right, it always is. PS3's took about the longest to crack but the floodgates have finally been opened so this may be the new toy to crack.

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

Remember when I was talking about the speed of today's computers and asking how fast is fast. You and I both know that Sophocles always does a new build. every spring. This is what he had to say about doing one this year.

"Year after year I've done a new build in the spring to insure that I had fast reencoding rig at the top of its game. This year things are a little different. I have two overclocked Core 2 Quads that are about as good as it gets for now (. Sure I could milk a little more speed out of an I7 rig, but I don't think it would be anything that I could appreciate any real difference from what I already have so I decided to get back into playing music."

I almost fell over reading that, but it's exactly what I was talking about. Unless you are a Hard core gamer that tries to get every single MIP or FPS out of the computer, or have a specific need for the extra speed, it's just not worth the money to most people, even enthusiasts! We've reached the point where the difference in speed no longer matters to most people, especially with our economy here in the States, in the tank! Sandybridge, Bulldozer and Bobcat could be a very hard sell. Especially since a new Motherboard will be needed too!

Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Eh, they have my buck LOL! Bulldozer does anyway. I'm too used to amd's quirks...

15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

When i upgraded to i7 recently it wasn't for games, or extra speed (although flying through BD-RB and especially DVD-RB is definitely a plus). I wanted an upgrade that i could also dual boot Apple snow leopard OS, and hardware is limited. I could have shaved a $100 off the mobo, i didn't NEED tri-channel RAM and whatnot, but my philosophy is do it right the first time, and if it cost a few dollars extra do it, DO IT. At best, you only wish and wonder "what if" later down the road, and at worst you go spend more money later to make up for the "what if". Seeing the same hardware as a $3000+ Mac Pro for less than a third of the price makes me feel validated.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrom33,
    That's what I mean by special needs, and few people other than enthusiasts get involved with BD content at all. I'm in no rush to spend money I don't have right now. I was just surprised by what Sophocles said. He's built at least one or two computers a year for himself for a very long time. A lot longer than I've known him. To see him pass now, was quite a surprise. I still plan on a Phenom II 1090T BE later this year!

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As a high end gamer I can feel the difference between my q9550 and my i5. Beyond the i5 though, at least for now, would be a waste. At my res I'll take all the graphics power I can get, but CPU-wise I have all bases covered for now. Soph's attitude does not surprise me, for most it is the right attitude.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sam, I'm sorry, but I'm still uncertain about your configuration. With your extreme storage, are you running redundancies? I mean, surely you're not trusting your drives to not fail LOL! Raid 1? I'm thinking that's what I'll do with my second drive I have here. Run a windows 7 software raid 1.

I may retire my 1Tb drives to a shelf, with certain things stored. And plug them in via adapter as needed. Perhaps I'll store them in one of these(If I can find them):
    [​IMG]

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thank you creaky and Sam, I now have a plan :) And these little Gems from newegg are gonna help me. Shame they're rather spendy though. Wish supermediastore would sell them. They always have good prices on storage solutions ;)
    Group 1
    Group 2

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

They're as rare as hen's teeth this side of the pond, i managed to find a few on eBay; not as cheaply as i'd like but i don't like buying stuff from China/Hong Kong, take too to arrive (if at all). I think i paid about £4 or £5 each, not expensive really for the protection and portability they provide. Great things though, i got the idea from work as we use them for our main overnight backup disks (2TB) which are taken offsite each day by one of us.
    I have 6 at home, one is spare for the next drive upgrade i do but i keep looking for more drive tanks as eventually i'll need a few more.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011