1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, they usually are pretty fugly. That lian li looks even more sweet! LOL! Perhaps I'm sick of the plain ol look ;) Though I do like the Haf 932. I would never convert IT over to file server. Too much potential to waste like that ;)

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm looking at this guys/girls (whichever the case may be) file server, and wondering if the hard drives are gonna get enough airflow. Would this amount of cramped-ness affect them greatly? Probably not green drives eh? I'm probably being to critical :p
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Was there supposed to be an image or a link oman?

I didn't know lian-li made a cube (still can't find it on their website lol). It looks better than the MM cubes, but I'd still get an MM over the lian-li seeing as it's larger, more customizable (that I know of) and only a bit more expensive. At those prices, while it would be ideal to get both function and form, I couldn't sacrifice future function for form.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

oops, LOL! I edited

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Damn! There's a freak of a case! I think I'd probably buy one of the Cube cases before that though. They're more stylish LOL! Though if you only need a file server, that's a very good case to do the job. 20 bays X 3Tb...wow! 30Tb of redundancy. That would make me a very happy guy. Pretty please bill gates? :p

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the same case my mate Jon has his file server in, was using 16 Seagate 7200.10s at one stage, now it's 10 7200.11s plus a Samsung F2 I think.

As for the other case, those look like 4x3.5-.3x5.25 bays. WD Greens have no issue with airflow in them as they have fans built into the front.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I figured I was nitpicking LOL! Given my Green drives run cool, I won't worry ;) Can't wait to have obscene amounts of Terabytes :D

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, all good fun unless you take your PC anywhere! I take my server to LANs, and it was backbreakingly difficult with 13 drives in it...

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The Haf 932 is currently fairly awkward. My day job is highly active and quite demanding. So for the time being, i'm capable of lifting quite heavy things. Though the Lian Li/mountainmod cube fully built would be quite trying :p

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not very heavy as large cases go, it's just cumbersome. My NZXT Whisper system when it had all the drives in was easily double the weight of my HAF 932 with my gaming PC in it.

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Some of you are completely bonkers. I have enough hassle carrying a heavy backpack ~

[​IMG]

..with laptop and (half of my worldly possessions it seems sometimes!) whatever else i carry around, bag of USB sticks and a 1TB (small and light) USB hard drive, and 1 2TB hard drive which is a nightly backup of our most important data. It's bad enough the odd time i move house, moving an Antec 900 type weight is not something i do more often than in a house move.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahh yes. Hard drive weight adds up ;)

Backpack eh? LOL, that brings back memories. Haven't used one since school. I recall when it was full of books, it was quite heavy. Very heavy indeed!

I sure wish the 3Tb drives would come down in price. I think 160USD would be much more agreeable. I'd jump on those real quick with that price. I won't touch one, til I can buy two. And at that price, they can forget it :p

14. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I recently picked up a pair of WD20EARS drives as replacements for two of my ancient 5yr. old 500GB drives and after transferring a bunch of data (1.36TB) I noticed the transfer speed had dropped to 10MB/s and a ton of seeking noise. Investigation revealed that Auslogics reports a 76% fragmentation on that drive which I find very odd since the only thing I've ever done is copy files to the drive once. Is this normal or have I just gotten my fourth consecutive bad WD 2TB hdd?

TIA

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow Red. The worst I saw at one point was 25% fragmentation. I use auslogics as well. I love the sound of 5 drives de-fragmenting simultaneously(Can't wait to hear more LOL). Fragmentation for me is logical though. I do a lot of transferring and deleting. Fragmentation is inevitable for me. Your case sounds odd though. I have ~650Gb remaining, and the speed has not slowed by much. If there were a lot of faulty sectors, perhaps that makes sense. Then the data would be as fragmented as the faulty sectors. Perhaps Sam has other ideas though?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I have none of those problems on my drives, speed issues or seeking noises, i'd suspect the problem is elsewhere. Also, have they been formatted properly (they're 'advanded format' drives don't forget) though if used under Win7 they don't need any special formatting..
    I find mine don't get very fragmented, i also copy/delete large amounts of data on mine regularly and defrags don't take long at all. Defrags do take ages on my WD5000AAKS drives, however they are very full indeed ie very little space for Auslogics to manoeuvre and thus never really get defragged properly.

17. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I have not deleted or moved any data on that drive, and I did a "full" format when I first got it to check for bad sectors after my previous luck with WD 2TB drives (I run win7 btw).

I too have never seen drive fragment like this. All my other drives hardly ever get defragged and still never get past some low percentages.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

And you did the full format eh? Very weird stuff. Did the format take roughly 4.5 hrs?

Creaky, its not just transfers I do. Transfers generally don't fragment. At least not as bad as ripping multiple disks simultaneously :p

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fragmentation just sounds like bugs with how the data's being written to the drive. You can defrag and see if it happens again, or try a reformat and start over. I wouldn't write off the drive just for that.

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

No idea, formatted it while I slept ;)

I haven't written it off yet, however I would assume that if the problem is how the data is being written to the drive I should be having similar problems with my other hdds imo.