1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't go with a ssd drive on a laptop. replace the norton with another anti-virus\spyware program. if want to put on win7 then make certain the bit version of win7 will work with that cpu as have found out twice now that 64bit win7 wouldn't install on a 32bit dual core.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I recommended an SSD because it will reduce the heat(Pretty warm drive currently), and increase the battery life. These are logical recommendations. I did however inform them that it is an expensive upgrade(100-200USD). I will now put in the text document that Windows 7 and 2Gb of ram would really be all she/he needs. LOL! I haven't even met these people. A friend of theirs brought me their laptop.
    The way it's running now, an SSD would be nice, but not REALLY necessary. Windows 7 would sure kick it in the but though ;) From what I've seen, they appear to be a casual user. Just a web browser, with very light gaming(minesweeper).

The startup alone appears to gobble up ram LOL! It's a dual core pentium. I would have researched it before installing 64Bit windows 7. Though with a max of 2Gb, there'd really be no benefit to 64bit OS. Thanks guys.

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

SSD'd help a laptops battery life I've read. But if it came with vista, it might be too old with SATA-I interface to truly see a huge difference.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That's certainly true. Thanks for reminding me Deadrum.

There would be difference though. SSD's have incredible latency ;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Also, it's always worth seeing if there are XP drivers available, it might be a cheaper alternative, plus no need to buy extra RAM. I can never remember the minimum RAM that Win7 runs on as i put XP on far more machines than Win7 - we've had a few instances where Win7 refuses to join domains (just gives a temporary profile over and over), it's far less hassle in those instances to just use XP as the suggested fixes for corrupt profiles never work.

We're always rebuilding machines at work, we just put the most appropriate OS on, even if that means XP. There's one golden rule we stick to, that's that if a Vista machine comes in, it absolutely will not have Vista put back on it.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I agree with you, I really do. But it's not my place to overhaul his/her system without his/her knowledge first. I placed a text document on her desktop telling her to read it immediately. I informed her as best I could(Laymans terms) of what I can do for her at little or no charge ;) The ball is in his/her court. I prefer not rollback to xp if I can help it. That would be a completely different user experience. For all I know, they've never used XP. There are significant differences between the OS's. Windows 7 however is highly similar to Vista ;)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

XP
    256MB - will run, very poor performance
    512MB - recommended minimum
    1GB - adequate
    2GB - preferred

Vista
    1GB - will run, very poor performance
    2GB - recommended minimum
    4GB - adequate
    8GB - preferred

Win7
    512MB - will run, very poor performance
    1GB - recommended minimum
    2GB - adequate
    4GB - preferred

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Agreed. Though it is running agreeable with 1Gb(for now). Start running multiple things and it will bog down of course.
    I ran 1Gb on an old system of windows 7. Aero could not run, but the overall experience was adequate. Probably comparable to the vista laptop...

HP should not have sold it with less than 2Gb!!!

9. creaky

I hear you, on the permission thing and the user experience. In our case, we ask permission (only regarding anything that might cost if it's someone's personal machine; if it's a work machine the hardware gets costed to whichever budget or branch), make a recommendation and all that's left is to find out what existing data needs keeping/ and or transferring. The user experience, while noted, is moot to us though, most people who need their computers rebuilding or fixing have no idea how to use the things, hence why our recommendation actually translates into what they end up with, and hardware changes are only made if actually necessary. Plus we're I.T. so what we say goes, we're the people who have to support them. Don't get me wrong, i understand where you're coming from, but when there's an endless stream of rebuilds (usually from people who break their machines in ever increasing, bizarre ways) you learn to set it up how you think it should be done, and not how they want it. And if machines come back again (i've had re-rebuilds with 70+ nasties on) i politely request they stop going on dodgy websites or they face my good-mannered sarcasm a second time (insert relevant Monty Python quote here) :) :)

We always aim to have a minimum of 1GB in XP machines, any more is always a bonus but is rarely necessary. Win7 as i say, is't installed that often so can never remember the minimum - however any Vista machines that come in usually have 2 or 3GB of RAM, as the vendors would tend to put 3GB of RAM in just because it's Vista. I did have a 1GB Vista machine the other week, it was so painful to even work on it, made sure to work harder on getting permission to just wipe it and start again as opposed to investigate it. In fact i cloned the hard drive and managed to pull off a Vista->Win7 upgrade, it took a few hours longer than a fresh install but it was worth it to not mess about in Control panel just looking for what was installed prior to even saving data/rebuilding, and the transformation when running in Win7 was amazing, still under that same 1GB. The person whose laptop it was was more than happy to pay for another stick of RAM (and we always have spare bits of kit so sometimes give spares away) but i'm a necessities only kind of guy, even if it's cheap it doesn't have to be bought if it doesn't actually need to be bought. I thrive on people's smiles and thanks when stuff works again, i'd be a crap businessman :)

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! You're awesome creaky!

Very logical!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    As long as the Laptop is capable of handling more than one Sata drive, there shouldn't be any problem using an SSD in a laptop! I don't think I would care too much for the idea of replacing a single drive with an SSD though.

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, I merely informed them that it would improve their experience, however it's expensive and not necessary ;)

13. creaky

LOL i have my moments; i was just editing my reply for awesomeness value in fact, LMAO. :p

I haven't got Spock's ears but i can certainly make my eyebrows pull stunts when people come asking for help :p

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try working on a brand new dell laptop with vista running on 512meg less what the onboard video uses & you see slow. happened a couple of years ago with a customer that when i saw what she had i told her to get more ram which she did with a 1gig which i installed when she got it. she then had 1.25gigs of ram & last year i replaced the 256meg ram with another 1gig for 2gigs minus what the video uses. the customer told me that if she still has issues that she will have me remove the vista & replace it with xp, she hasn't called since.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

512? Damn. That's just plain dumb! Amazing what they'll sell eh? Taking advantage of the little guy. Pretty sick...
    If I ever own a shop, i'll never do that to my customers :p I'll give it to um straight!

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

eMachines used to ship desktops with 256DDR2 667MHz memory in them, with Vista! ROFLMSOAO!!!

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What kind of planet do we live on? Greed...

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    You haven't by any chance noticed how far south the sun is setting these days, have you! It just might be greed's end! LOL!!

Russ

19. creaky

Another payday, another set of 2TB drives :p. Finally getting around to swapping out the WD5000AAKS boot drive so plumped for a 2TB Caviar Black (still only £106 exc VAT and i don't pay the VAT) along with a 2TB Green as it's external backup. Going to clone the WD5000AAKS using the hardware dock and once i've grown the partition to 2TB hopefully it'll boot as if the drive hadn't changed. Then (at another payday) all that remains is to replace the last internal 500GB drive and i can leave the darn PC alone for a long time

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Creaky,

OK, I'll ask. Are you cloning the 500GB drive to a 2TB? If so, how do you get around the drive size differences? I remember a couple of years ago, I cloned my 160GB boot drive to a 250GB drive and wound up with a 250GB drive that only had 160GB of usable space on it???

BTW, I have a WD5000AALS Black, and I like it a lot! It's very quiet, reasonably fast, and runs cool. How well does the AAKS hold up?

Best Regards,
    Russ