1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

Thanks! I thought for a minute there, that I had lost my reasoning abilities and gone round the bend!
    I don't know how it is with BD, but occasionally I do come across a DVD where the structure of the data is downright weird, and complex. I did the widescreen version of Dirty Dancing last night, and it had 28 VOB segments, which makes the job's time a little bit longer because CCE has to open and close that many times. Usually there are only 7-9 VOBs. Still, 6.2GB took only 21 minutes. It also used a higher percentage of the CPU power. It should do pretty well with BD!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Still using CCE with a hex core? Try it using Hanks encoder and watch 6 different cores work instead of 4.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,

I don't think I have ever tried Hanks Encoder before. I'll give it a try. Any special settings for it?

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Meh. I used HC encoder before. The difference is minimal. And it's a resource pig, for a minimal savings in time. CCE does it almost as quick, using a lot less resources :p I prefer to multitask while encoding. And CCE is more trusted for video quality.

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I don't remember doing anything special. Under mode, I changed encoder from CCE to HC then under settings, HC settings changed quality/speed selection from fastest to bestest(all you grammar nazi's i know bestest isnt a real word, it just fit the flow of the sentence LOL).
    I changed to HC when i got this hyper-threading i7...was kinda surprised the first time i seen 8 different encoding windows open.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

'fraid HC Encoder's no resource pig, what it does do is utilise available CPU resources, which is exactly what you'd expect it to do.. My PC's are perfectly usable during HC encodes. CCE is way too overrated when HC does as good/almost as good, and for free to boot :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,

I'll give it a try then and see how much difference it makes. Thanks again.

Best regards,
    Russ

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I haven't used it in a while. I just can't see heating up my processor, when cce will do it almost as quick, while not heating up much at all :p We all have our own preferences ;)

9. creaky

Heating up eh, don't forget my Q6000 machine runs full pelt the whole time it's on (which is a lot) as i run Seti@home & Milkyway units the whole time; if i was doing any DVDRB encoding (not that often these days) i'd turn the those off, but the rest of the time (and during ConvertXtoDVD and the like) i leave them on. My motto is that CPU's should be working hard when they're on. Talking of which my works linux box stays on 24/7 (100 day uptime at the moment, it would be twice that but we had a power cut and i didn't have a UPS in place at the time) and it runs Seti@home & Milkyway the whole time also. But yeah indeed, each to their own :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Perhaps I will give HC another go. I don't like that the CCE window insists on being on top of other windows. Quite irritating indeed. Especially for 2000$ software :S

11. m4r0v3r

m4r0v3r Regular member

I heard that hybrid hard drives have the speed of SSD's and the capacity of normal sata hard drives. has anyone had any experience with hybrid drives?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not correct. Hybrid drives have the speed of normal SATA hard drives. They are faster for a very small number of select processes.

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

AFAIK the hybrid drives simply have a really large cache used similarly to an SSD. From what I'm reading they have their uses but for a home user aren't wonderfully practical. If you want SSD performance, the best course of action would be to wait for SSDs to drop in price(which they are).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,

Well I tried HC encoder last night, even at normal quality, it's bog slow! Maybe it's the fact that I have a very small Pixel Pitch (0.242) for the size of my monitor (20.1"), but I pride myself in making better looking DVDs than you can commercially buy! I can't get near that quality with HC!

I tried making sense out of Vurbal's guide, but it's far too technical, but not that good in telling you how to use it! I'll stick with DVDRB/CCE. "Unstoppable" took 22 minutes and looks awesome!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

DVD rebuilder seems to get the best reviews, so I imagine thats probably worth sticking with. If Russ is getting a good boost with a hex CPU versus a quad the program is clearly using all 6 threads, so he should stick with that.

Also, this ad is really pissing me off. I accidentally mouseover it and it doesn't go away again :/ It plays music too.
    Well aware you guys in the US will probably see something different here, but putting this up for the guys at the site to see. If it becomes too much of an issue I'll post it in the problems thread.
    [​IMG]

16. creaky

I can't tolerate adverts, i have as many as possible blocked via AdBlock Plus, on all sites i frequent..

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sponsors....can't live with um, can't kill um LOL!

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I used firefox with adblock, but er, javascript issues with afterdawn. Chrome's adblock is routinely disabled by google.

19. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I use FF with adblock and noscript and I haven't had any issues with AD at all. Maybe it's because I'm NA user and not UK, but the only hint of an ad on AD I see is a whitespace between posts ;)

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,

What Sam is talking about is adds that appear right on top of the post text, that move with the text. If you scroll up or down, the text stays covered. You have to close the window and open AD 2 or 3 times to get rid of it. It's glorified Spam! Adblock+ and Noscript won't block it!

Russ