1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Peerblock blocks most/if not all of that stuff! :p But peerblock can be paranoid at times. There are sites that it blocks, that should be safe...

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

I just installed PeerGuardian2 recently, and I haven't seen any spam or anything like it since!

Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Peerguardian? Is that still in development :p I thought that Peerblock was a continuation. Peerguardian/2 is incompatible with windows 7. Sorry about off topic. If we need to continue, we can do it via PM.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yes Peerblock is the updated and Windows 7 compatible version. Peerguardian 2 hasn't seen development for years now.

5. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That is your best bet I use CCE or ProCoder but if you are running Windows 7 ProCoder will crash unless you have one of the most recent versions. If you have Vista or XP no problems then I personally prefer ProCoder 3 but the new CCE is almost as good.

I'm not sure if they have improved HC encoder since I used it but it didn't perform to my standards when I used it years ago. It did OK and was fast but definately not as sharp as CCE or ProCoder.

People still use PeerGuardian? I shouldn't be suprised DVD Shrink is still being used decades after it's last update. I'll have to checkout PeerBlock I wasn't aware they picked up the ball.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Depending on the circumstances, Dvd shrink is still usable. I prefer it to Dvd fab. Dvd Fab can be rather dirty with it's outputs. Changing the PGC's can be useful ;) Though I'm attempting to learn PGCedit So I no longer have to :D

7. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Shrink is far from 100% and with that why bother with it. In it's day it was a great tool but that was then this is now!

Fab is OK but not in the same ball park as DVD-RB or BD-RB the quality just isn't as good but it is simple in it confusion of a UI.

If you want to author DVD's IFO Edit or PGC is good but again there are others better depending on the task at hand.

Really once you get setup Rebuilder can be just as easy if not easier than Fab or other programs but when you want the best quality with decent flexability Rebuilder is the best.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

lol, I don't use the others for transcoding per say. I simply use there speed and abilities. Shrink is highly rapid, when it's close to dvd-5 output to begin with. Fab can alter the dvd structure and go straight to the menu, or main title. I might start using Anydvd for that though. But ultimately, I want to use PGCedit for that. If there is something else that can do this, I was unaware :p

9. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I've never seen those ads on AD, however it might be because I never browse AD.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mr-Movies,

DVD Shrink was born April 7, 2003, and was used with DVD Decryptor, using Nero as the Burn Engine Version 1.02 was the first official release. Version 3.2.0.14 was it's final release, July 25, 2004! The fact that is still occasionally in use after almost 8 years, is remarkable in this day of ever changing, non-compatible software.
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/history.php

The addition of RipIt4Me, June 30, 2006 gave new life to DVD Shrink, and as you say, is still in use today. The final Version 1.7.10 was released March 22, 2007, and I still occasionally use it myself, with DVD shrink, DVD Decryptor and Nero.
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipIt4Me/version-history

My version of CCE is SP270 Trial, released in December 2005, and has been Purchased/updated to Version 270.02.04 which allows for multiple CPU cores and a few other enhancements. Cinema Craft HD Encoder is the latest offering, but I have no idea of what it costs. It's the best program that I have ever used, and is the program by which all other Encode Programs are judged by. It works very well, and I'm more than Happy with it's performance with my 6 core 1090T.

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. N_3_Days

N_3_Days Member

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

We run a few 'off the shelf' network drives at work, D-Link DNS-323's, i don't like them much, they're ok but a tad hit and miss. At the office most everything else of course are servers, we only have the NAS's as 'throwaway' storage ie they're there for dumping huge amounts of stuff onto, but with the proviso that if it's important data it goes onto a server instead. Netgear Stora's are nice though, we set one up for the boss a few months back, it's one of the few NAS devices (of reasonable price) that let you use both drives seperately (some units only allow the drives to be mirrored, which is crap quite frankly). I don't like buying such devices personally, i have loads of caddies and put my own drives in them, but all the ones i have are non-networkable (bought them all before i thought of buying network-capable ones) so you can only network them by setting up shares. But nowadays i don't use caddies (i have a shelf full of no-longer used drives and caddies to figure out a use for!), now i just prefer to have everything on the one PC and have shares setup. I was considering buying a Stora for the kids but seeing as their main house PC is on a lot of the time i just put a large second drive in for now instead.
    I'm a huge fan of WD drives but i've not used WD Books so can't comment on them i'm afraid, i think Sam might have used them, someone here has i think..

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've not used the network integrated version but I use my 500GB MyBook USB over the network all the time. It runs fairly cool and is vented well. It also takes advantage of USB 3.0 to some extent. I know others here will recommend Western Digital products too.

14. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I agree with creaky D-Link just isn't the product they use to be and their NAS solution is an example of that.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I used to own a mybook. I gave it to my brother. It was irritating that it would idle. It took 3 - 5 seconds to come back to life. And since windows has to query the drives constantly(for me), this was unacceptable. He uses it to store his music and family photos now. He likes it. But he doesn't do the stuff with computers that I do :p I need things to be snappy :D

Besides, I prefer internal drives now. I'd really like to get my hands on a couple of those 3Tb drives! I'm aware of the drives needs :p

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah, the only retail external I have is a Seagate, quickly grabbed from Argos as an emergency.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I know the reviews of most of the My Book type external drives are horrible. Heat seems to be the main problem. I know Rick has tried a few of them without a lot of success, and he has more external drives than anybody I know. 16 I think! Some brands, Like Lacie and Iomega need to be avoided entirely!

18. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

The only hdd I've had fail on me completely was a WD mybook. I believe the cause was heat too lol.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, I wouldn't be too harsh. It's the internals that are what's important. If a wd drive is inside, then jump right in! LOL! Of course the manufacturers never let us know what's inside. Even though we as consumers have a right to know!
    I'm rather partial to Nec chipped DVD drives. The way my LG BD drive acts, it wouldn't surprise me if it has one. I may never know though. Don't wanna take it apart :S

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The best way to do an external drive is to buy an internal drive and a good enclosure.