The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The way hotmail and other applications act, I really don't like the idea of overly stressing an SSD. I'd like to see the SSD longevity increase. Wish in one hand?

I guess I should just shut up and get one. Let my own testing decide. But money as usual is tight. :(

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well anadtech stated that they used an SSD pretty damn heavily for 8 months, and apparently only used 1/300th of the cycles.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Damn... that speaks for itself! Which one was that?

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4159/ocz-vertex-3-pro-preview-the-first-sf2500-ssd/2

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Clearly i'm being too harsh :p Time to get my feet wet.

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

thats the spirit ;)

7. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

No not quite, he is not considering the constant caching that goes on and how hard a given area of the drive (memory) that gets written to over-and-over again NO MATTER if your system is idle or working. In fact idle can be harder on these areas then when doing some real work. And he is only looking at total write cycles of new space, his test is FAR from perfect!

But knock yourself out, you will anyway, we all learn from hard knocks and it's your turn.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well for sure, I'll go with a cheaper/smaller model at first. I don't feel like spending a great deal on one yet :p
    I am aware of a great deal of caching on my current drive. In fact, one process is making me nuts. Hotmail seems to be one bug, and something else to which I haven't discovered yet. Probably just gonna reinstall windows, and watch closely for the bug to return. I'd sure like my next reinstall to be SSD :D

I'll keep the velociraptor in for programs and what not. And just tuck the SSD underneath all of the drives.

What can I say, Crazy like a fox!

9. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I would like to play with it too but the price has to come down and I would ONLY use it for the OS drive, no others. So when it becomes cheap and I can just use it for my C: drive then I'll play with it. That way when it fails I lose nothing. This means of course that your Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos are all moved to another drive, which I do already just like a business environment would be.

Omegaman7 or should I call you Charles (AKA Charlton Heston), if you use Skype and have their browser plugin active you may find that an issue too. I disable mine as it cause me problems as well.

10. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Please state only facts that can be backed up, not personal opinion. Being an early adopter of SSD tech, i find flaws with this statement.

I agree about the expensive part, but EVERYTHING runs faster not just the boot process. Mechinical drives only surpasses the low end of the first generation of SSD, it takes raid 0 to get even remotely close to a SSD 200mb+ reads. SSD read speeds were always faster, write speeds have become just as good if not better, and any deficiencies there once was were hidden by an SSD's random access times, again much faster than a mech drive. All these statements can be easily verified google-ing. Here you go, I'll even do the work for you. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SSD+vs+velociraptor+benchmark

An SSD paired with an OS that supports TRIM performs better and faster than a mechanical drive. Whether you can afford one or not is a different story.

11. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

It's only faster because you turn off all of the redundancy and checking in the OS which is why you need something better than XP for SSD's. Microsoft has streamlined their OS recently for this. Which is basically what I said prior but you did not comprehend obviously.

Put XP on your SSD and see what you get!
    Kids!!

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I generally already do save important files to my storage drives. So nothing will change there. But I do have photoshop and all my apps on the C:\

I'll likely install GTA IV and all other games to the veloci, even when I convert to SSD. But I would like to keep my primary apps on the ssd.

No skype here. Only plugins are Java, Shockwave, silverlight, NVIDIA 3D vision, quicktime plugin. I only run steam when I need it.

Windows 7 here :D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

1. XP takes an extra step, running the diskpart command-line utility to align the partition. Not difficult, but definitely something a noob would be comfortable with. Also, since it has no TRIM support you have to use a utility manually. Works fine with XP after these steps are implemented.
    2. I'm pretty sure I'm older than most everyone on this forum except TheOneJrs.
    Using the term Kids!!! as an attempted insult, shows your lack of knowledge about the people around you, is rivaled only by your lack of knowledge concerning SSD technology.
    Nothing wrong with that, but if you can poke a hole in any statement i made please do.

Faster read speeds, faster write speeds, faster random access, but yet an SSD only SEEMS faster. Interesting, please explain further.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  14. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I run my apps on a seperate drive but if I was going to use SSD as my OS drive I would include the apps partition in with it and make a backup image of a clean install, which I do anyway. You would gain in performance by doing that so you are right on track with that.

15. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

So by running TRIM you do exactly what I stated to be a problem with checks and balances and if you don't run TRIM on XP you will run very slow!

TRIM enables the SSD to handle garbage collection overhead, that would otherwise significantly slow down future write operations to the involved blocks, in advance.

The newer OS's take care of this for you, again like I stated.

And you probably are not older than me but you might be? So your still a kid! LOL

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i still dont get why people insist on using stonge age OS's. move with the times. :p

all the reviews on SSDs and any new tech will be focusing on win7, not XP.

17. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

When they first came out XP w
    When SSD’s first came to the market XP was the OS of favor so that is why you may hear it. If that's a problem for you you'll just have to get over it. A lot of businesses are STILL using XP today.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Only continuous write speeds are slow, and nobody should need continuous write to a drive that small. In everything that matters, random read/write and access latency, SSDs are up to 100 times as fast as mechanical drives, and it shows.

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Mr-Movies---I'm not trying to start an online argument, I just feel that you made a blanket statement in saying
    If you meant when using XP, things slow down if you dont run a specific program frequently, i totally agree. I didn't want to mislead the many people who read, but do not post on forums into thinking that the majority of SSD users have issues that you speak of. They do not. Certain cheap SSD's, and old OS's have this problem.

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Deadrum, don't worry.

Mr-Movies, don't piss me off as i'm in a pissed off mood right now. i had to have my mother's right leg amputated last week because of flesh eating disease then get a call just after 10 this morning that she died so i am not in a happy mood. watch the "kid" remarks til you know how old a person actually is.