1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

A agree a 40 is too small. I had a 30GB Vertex which was good untill i stopped babying it and really wanted to fill it up! Intel beat them at the time, and now with the VErtex2 OCZ have the speed advantage again (probably until the next generation Intels come out LOL).
    Now i only use it as a scratch disk on my Hackintosh partition for Final Cut video and Logic pro audio editing software.

2. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Off subject sorry for this, but do you like Final Cut and/or prefer it over some of the MS based tools like Pinnacle/Sony Studio's or others in the area? Or have you only played with Final Cut?

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

From what I've seen in Adobe premier pro, I don't see the need for a mac/hackintosh. Though one day I'd like to check it out. The TNG edits seen on youtube, are partially attributed to Final cut. That is the only reason I want to check it out LOL! Some very tricky editing was done with them.
    I finally bought the Sata dock station. That'll be very convenient. As well as another Green drive. What can I say, I like living with risk. Besides, both of my 2 current green drives, have not changed their behavior(touch wood)in the months I've had them. I hope they release a 4Tb or larger drive, that way the 3Tb drive begins to become a viable option ;)
    I imagine my land lords are gonna think i'm made of money :S

4. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I play with OSX hacked for normal hardware and enjoy the MAC OS even though it is limiting. I would never pay the price for official MAC hardware but would buy the OS if it was opened up for any PC usage.

I've stayed away from Premier because I don't like Adobe as a whole, too many things running, they update even when you say don't, and poorly programed interface in my opinion. I do use Acrobat writer and Paint Shop but again they are archaic in design and too expensive for what they offer. Whenever possible I'll use other tools and do not rely on Paint Shop as I have other tools I use just as much.

Thanks for the input though I suppose I should give Premier a spin and see if it matches up or does stuff my other tools don't.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I honestly have been too busy attempting to learn the Logic audio software to do anything but check out the GUI for Final Cut. Once I get some new video footage of a few area bands (mine included :p ) it will be my next task.

Speaking of Adobe, i just recently installed the CS5 Master Suite because i need Dreamweaver. I know installing the suite for 1 program is overkill, but figured I'd learn a few other things things while I'm at it...O-MAN is there a special Adobe setting to keep it from updating or did you have to run a script to keep it from calling home? And that looks like a good build...

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I pm'd you Deadrum.

SOunds like my customer/friend is happy with the price of that build. She's currently contemplating the matter.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

Sell a couple of more things, and get this memory!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

Works perfect in your motherboard of choice, and it is sooooo fast! It's the Cat's A$$!

Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have that memory russ. Yes, it's nice, but probably too much for these people. They want me to keep the purchase as cheep as possible, though not TOO cheap.

They're just using it for music, and schoolwork apparently. With the components I'm getting them, they should be happy for at least 3 - 5yrs ;)

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    That's what I get for being half asleep (Pre-Coffee)! I thought this was a 1090T build for you. I completely missed the Propus 640! LOL!! My big question is why, if their use is so mundane, are they wanting to spring for such an expensive motherboard, when our 630 Propus rocks on the US2H, with DDR2? Just asking, especially since Bulldozer and Bobcat won't be socket compatible!

Russ

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Can't find one on newegg. At least this way, it's fairly future proof. But what is...

Bulldozer of course, will require a whole new socket.

12. eskoog

eskoog Member

Just a "heads -up" if considering upgrading OS hard drive with PC mover (files transfer option). Using PC MOVER to transfer Win 7 ultimate 64bit to new hard drive triggered Windows Product Activation (WAT); which was accomplished via 1-888 number.

WAT is an voice automated communication procedure requiring entering 8 strings of 6 numeric characters, a numeric keypad makes task easier. It's recommended to request "repeat activation code" to verify correctness of your entry.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks to all concerned, for convincing me to get a sata dock. I love it!(Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U) I currently have it running a transfer via USB. It's averaging 25.3MB/s. According to windows 7 transfer window. Not quite as quick as the Verbatim Clone 250Gb drive my brother bought recently, but I'm not using it's full potential either. The single Esata port I have, is not connected internally yet. I have lots to transfer, so I'll probably be hooking that up tomorrow.
    I now have 3 WD20EARS drives. I have not connected the 3rd yet, but it'll be connected tomorrow. I've got some catching up to do eh sam? LOL! I'd love to play with the 3Tb drives. But perhaps it's too soon for that. They're too darned expensive. I may not be getting my SSD either. I have another 0bligation coming up. Or atleast I call it an obligation. I recently acquired a Canon Powershot S3 IS. My first Canon camera. I'm very happy about that. Unfortunately, the primary lens is dirty on the INSIDE(Nasty water spot). It'll cost me 150$ to have it repaired. There went my SSD :( I'm too intimidated by the inner workings of a camera lens to do it myself. Ordinarily I dive right into tearing things apart :p The reason I feel obligated, is because I've wanted a good canon camera for a very long time. This one comes very close to fitting that bill. I owe it to the camera and myself to get it up and running :D

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey, speaking of eSata. I've never used it before. My HAF932 has a cable that runs from the top of the towers eSata port, and awaits a regular internal sata port. My question is will the top port behave like a USB port. In that I need to safely remove devices, or will I have to power down the system, to disconnect eSata connected devices? I Don't want to switch to AHCI mode, because then ALL of my hard drives show up in the safe remove tool. At least I"m pretty sure that's what happens LOL! I most certainly do not want to plug something in, and then disconnect it when done, and blow the sata channel in doing so. My brother disconnected an IDE device while the computer was running before. It destroyed the channel. Thoughts?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I never safely remove USB devices, I've never needed to. SATA's little different, but by principle I usually power off the devices before disconnecting them from the cable. I wouldn't know about the top eSATA port on the HAF as like the USBs, mine doesn't work.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  16. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I prefer a SLR myself but for a snap shot camera that’s one of the best ones. If you're going to spend that much money why not consider doubling, or more, your camera’s resolution and getting a new warranty too. For $50 more you can have the Canon SX130 IS Black 12.1 MP 3.0" but for double you can get the much nicer Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Black 14.1 MP 2.7". One of my friends asked me what camera to buy in this price range and she bought the SX30IS. It can shoot HD video well and is great for pictures. She really loves her new toy and her husband was very surprised at how well the camera works plus the feature rich tools available.

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Interesting observation, quote(I never safely remove USB devices, I've never needed to.)I was always under the impression of the opposite, all the big boys always made me aware of that as also many articles, doing so can be a pain in the rear I agree, but truly how safe or unsafe is it really, when you say never needed to, explain further please, and why is it you feel safe in not doing so.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If i'm in a hurry, I'll pull a flash drive out of the ports rapidly. But I'm uncertain how the Sata ports work. I guess I should just switch it over to AHCI. I've heard some people say there's a speed improvement anyway...

I've seen the pictures that the Powershot S3 IS has taken. Nothing short of breathtaking when you know what you're doing. I want a camera like that LOL! I really want one of their 800+ USD cameras. All of them get excellent reviews. I'd like an SLR too... 150$ is affordable, I can't go much more than that :S

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All the big boys also run driversweeper etc. when updating their drivers, which I also never do.

I've never had a USB device go bad through this means. Either the fault has been an issue with the drive before it became a USB device (i.e. an internal hard drive moved to an external enclosure that was dodgy before), or the fault has been the with the logic of the controller, and had nothing to do with the data on the drive.

20. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Not smart and not good advice, you are damn lucky. I know too many people that have pooched their drives not using safe removal and I have too. It is not a smart practice not to, nor is it difficult either. I've even seen flash cards get corrupted by not using smart removal but that is less likely as Windows doesn't get as confused with flash memory.