1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

You missed the bit where i said we often have this problem at work. I don't imagine these things but those of you who 'pull and play', that's your choice, the rest of us will 'plug and play' as that cretin Bill Gates intended us to do :)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, say what you like about Bill Gates. Where's your 54 billion dollars eh?

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've worked the helpdesk part time at a software development company and we had the same issue cropping up as well. But AFAIK it was their fault pulling before the dialog closed because it said 100%. The transition to 7 was not smooth. If you want more tales of horror I can ask the friend who got me the part time position. Basically run CCleaner and add some RAM and everyone thinks you're magical XD

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The only trouble I have with some removable media, is the transfer window. And it's only with select drives. My kingston 16Gb for instance seems to have a High burst rate, so windows 7 thinks it's doing 100Mb/s, where it's only doing ~8MB/s. So at the end of the transfer, it'll hang on 99% for 30seconds or so. I believe my brothers XP SP3 did something highly similar at one time. What it amounts to is the transfer calculator I believe. YOu don't wanna remove the media before this windows closes LOL! Anybody else have this problem?

5. creaky

Gates is busy occupying himself (ie on our behalf) in some very disturbing areas, but this thread isn't for that. Just do dome reading on the guy's current 'humanitarian' hobbies and you'll be somewhat disconcerted at any large sums such a man has at his disposal, never mind the influence he has and can use for things that, frankly he shouldn't be.
    But this isn't the place for that, it just pops into my head when minutes of my life are wasted faffing about with his products.
    I think i might get another couple WD20EARS next payday, i notice they've come down in price since i last bought some, and i saw the post from Sam showing they might be a tad cheaper outside of my normal supplier. Other than that i'm putting a spare WD5000AAKS into each of the kids' Vostro 200's i'm currently building as secondary disks (to supplement the 250GB Seagate boot disks), though i have to start reinstalling again as the damn stupid install keeps using the WD5000AAKS as a boot drive without prompting me.
    Arghhhhhh.........

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's an OS you're installing, I often leave the other drives unplugged while I do it, just in case.

7. creaky

Yeah, me too, i forgot to uninstall the secondary drive this time though, doh!. Ah well, Puppy live cd to format both drives, i'll unplug the secondary and start again. Then i think it's timeout on pesky PC's and some tv viewing to wind down

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah same here I almost always do. Sadly its a bit of a pain on the HAF as the drives mount connector-side in. Also turning my SATA ports from Native IDE to AHCI gave a really nice speed boost. Drive detection itself is quicker, enabling a much faster boot, among other things.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I asked Sammy about pulling sticks for a reason, I always do and did it the safe way, I wanted more info because when I said sometime doing it safely can be a pain e.g.whatever I download something on a stick or an external drive I always make sure whatever I was using I shut down, but often you get the message can't unplug because something is running or other, that's the frustrating part, I have nothing running, go to the taskmanager and 90% of the time you can't make out here nor there what all that means anyway, than I have no other alternative but to shut off the PC, that's when it becomes a pain in the ass, I though maybe he had some secret. But because I'm cautious and after reading other people's opinions I will continue doing it safely, as was said, it only takes one time out of several hundred to ruin a stick or worse an external drive with a lot of important data.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Actually you don't. If you accidentally shut one off, just unplug and re-plug in the drive you turned off. It will make the same sound as plugging in a usb device and it should be back to running again, because it has to re-address and un-park the heads!

Russ

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL russ. That would also work, but restarting would be easier, depending on tasks going on at the time ;) That's why I say it's tedious. I'm pretty good at noting things though, and would probably not make the mistake of ejecting a primary drive. But...sometimes in a hurry, I do silly stuff LOL! My tower/area is not the easiest to simply open up, and do things in a hurry...

12. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Talking like that brings me back to the late 70's, early 80's, and RLL/MFM drives which I still have a working half height and quarter height drive. Remember when we had to park the heads on our drives before shutting down our PC's. Good old memories...

Of course you may not remember the good old day’s theonejrs as you are still a young man. :)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not sure about that. Russ has been dabbling with PCs for a long long time, since way before I was born at least.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Early 80's at least. He's spoken of things I've never seen :p We had a commodore 64 in the early 80's. That's the earliest computer I remember. As well as some apples/macintosh's in school ;)

15. creaky

I forgot to mention this before. I often have the annoying message abot being unable to unplug because it's in use. Most of the time this can be solved by going into task manager and killing explorer.exe and starting another explorer.exe in the 'File/New task (run)' option in task manager. That will nearly always release the hold on the USB device, but not always. Then you either reboot or chance unplugging.

16. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I never knew that creak, I'll give that a try next time it happens, thanks.

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

lol He's definitely been into PCs longer than most of us younger members have been alive.

I have a few MFM HDDs myself. Remember being fascinated when I realized what they were XD

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Creaky,

It could be any running program, even something that is seeding. You can transfer a torrent while it is seeding, but the copy will add to the seeding and won't release any drive until the seeding is stopped at the Torrent Client! You would have to shut it down first, by exiting the client program.

Russ

20. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member