The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Just sitting here staring at the C:\ properties, I watched it grow steadily. Weird...
    I'm tempted to let it run all day, and see what happens.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The properties box takes a while to calculate as it has to scan the entire disk. The value will rise from zero, and it can take a few minutes with complex file structures before the final value is obtained. Once this happens, even if the drive's contents change, the value on display is not automatically updated.

3. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Is that Starter? Just kid'n they don't make a x64 Starter version of course. I'm surprised at the size being so small but like you said it's growing.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It seemed to have a final value. It was simply growing slowly. I've watched calculations before. It's never acted quite like this. Or at least I never noticed.

The properties windows does seem to be updating in real time. Or perhaps at regular intervals.

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thats right, thanks for the reminder. That slipped my mind since I've been turning off Hibernate ever since win7 and wanting to save space when using a SSD. But for a client I must leave things as vanilla and close to OEM as possible and overlooked all the tweaks.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I usually turn off indexing and hibernation right after a reformat. I never hibernate my PC so why waste space and CPU cycles to maintain a file as large as my 8GB of RAM? Also indexing is basically useless if using an SSD because of the sheer speed. I simply turn it off on my mechanical drives to save wear and CPU cycles.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  7. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Also true. Indexing, prefetch, superfetch and other accelerators are recommended turned off by manufacturer of the OCZ and Intel SSD's.

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I do indeed still use Superfetch. That is one feature I have found to be truly useful on mechanical drives. My PC never seems to bog down with it on, but with it off, certain programs take forever to open. I'm sure it's a different story with SSDs, but it quite literally makes my PC faster.

Will have to applaud Windows 7 on its design though. For heavy use it lasts much longer than XP without developing little hiccups and errors. Is also quite a bit easier to keep it cleaned out and simple to use, due to some of the included tools being more powerful than XP.

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Got a bit of a PROBLEM ! WinXP reconizes my External HDD as MASS Storage, but mounts it as a CD-DVD Drive. Anybody got a cure for this

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

My problem being is. WindowsXP reconizes my External HDD as mass storage, but mounts it as a CD Drive , any known cures for this would be Appreciated

11. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

In your Device Manager is it listed under Disk Drives, DVD / CD-ROM drives, or USB device?

Possible cures would be to uninstall device in Device Manager and manually re-install it. Update your motherboards USB drivers and uninstall/re-install the HDD device.

Or is it just association that is the problem? The device manager sees it as an hdd but Explorer displays it as a CDROM/DVD.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Device manager lists it as CD Drive
    Tried every means of Uninstall , still comes back as CD Drive
    I'm going to hook it up to my Computer SATA, as it can be read this way , and copy the files to another Disc, then Format and try again as an External Mass Storage, just takes more time this way as it's a 2 tera Drive

13. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

It sounds like a driver issue. Do you have a driver disc to support your removable device? If so I would uninstall the driver in the device manager and Manually, don't let XP do it for you, reinstall the driver that supports the USB storage device. If you let Windows select a driver once it thinks it has the right one it will always revert back to the bad driver. If Windows won't let you upgrade the driver to the right one you may have to manually purge the old driver which ccan be a pain.

Re-formating may do the trick too but again it seems to be a driver issue.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

NOT TO MY KNOWLEDGE : It's a BLACK X DOCKING STATION.. I'll look it up though
    DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH Gigabyte MA79OX-UD4P- it recognized everything , just since installing the MA78GM-S2HP. With the 6 QUAD AMD

15. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

You can also try updating your chipset/USB drivers as they could definately be the problem too. My ASRock boards have horrible USB driver support for removable hdd's, my Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, DFI, and I'm missing a couple more all play well with USB devices.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Rick,

Have you by any chance gotten the message: This Device can perform faster if ..... Many times only USB1 is installed, and USB2 is supposed to be installed by XP. Sometimes you have to do that manually, from the device manager in the control panel. In the control panel, click on System, then Device manager, then Universal Serial Bus controllers. there should be two listed there as Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller. Right click on the first one, and select Update drivers and follow the instructions. It usually only takes a few seconds. After it is done, do the same with the second one. Don't know for sure if that will help, but it won't hurt anything to try!

Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, my Sceptre monitor bought the farm. I was talking to Rick on Messenger and my faithful X20 naga III bit the dust. The video inverter has died, along with the backlight. No Power light either. Oh well, I got another year out of it anyway. For all the use it's had, 5 years is pretty good.

I'm thinking about replacing it with an Asus 21.6" or 23.6" 16x9 widescreen. Don't know if I'll be able to afford the 23.6 though, but I like both monitors, so it really won't matter that much to me. In the meantime, I lugged the big Dell 19" 4:3 monitor out and I'm using it for now. Terrific picture quality, but a bit small for these old eyes!

Russ

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

If you have to get one of the 16:9 displays get a 21.6". The 23" screens have average image quality but the 21" ones seem to be pretty nice.

19. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hey Russ, my friend from the junkyard got one of those asus 21.6 that you mentioned, I needed to get some work done for him the other day, it was a really nice monitor, I was impressed.

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

RUSS Just got his monitor, it'll be at home in about three days...IT YOUR HEART OUT PEOPLE