1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

If it really was a special moment i figure you would have spelled honor correctly...LOL

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, because it's every post :p

Switching to firefox now, should resolve it.

I have some cheap (£25) 4-port PCIe cards where all 4 ports work at once, but they don't have any eSATAs, and they also don't support SMART. You get what you pay for I suppose.

Deadrum: I have spelt honoured correctly. If I was american, I would have spelled it honored.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

Make that 4 people. I have one of my USB ports on the front that is flaky. Overall, the build quality is pretty good, but cheap things like usb ports should not be a problem. My RC534+ case has a lot of thoughtful touches, like the removable HDD bay so you can easily get at the front fan screws. I wouldn't touch any of their real cheap cases. The metal is so light, you could easily bend a cover just picking it up wrong. I've been eying the Antec 600 Mid size case. It's a little weird looking but pretty cool, just the same!

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My current one supports smart :p I'll have to say I got lucky though. That wasn't something I accounted for when shopping :S

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agree, coolermaster cases have many neat design features, but their build quality, especially in certain areas, leaves much to be desired.

Omega: The 2-port PCI ones, surprisingly, do have SMART. Just not the 4-port PCIe ones.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I hope CM is aware of the problem. I love their case, but when the most important area like the front access is buggered, that's not good.

Yah, my current sata 1 card is just standard PCI. I have 2 drives, and my BD-Rom connected to it. I'm strongly considering switching the 2 drives for Optical drives though. Optical drives don't require much bandwidth. Obviously ;)

7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Mod help please, during the last several weeks I have been getting multiple newsletters with no new posts, duplicates so to speak, just the past couple of hours I got over a dozen from this thread in my e-mail, nothing new.

Need to find out if this is an AD thing, if it is I don't care knowing you guys can fix it sooner or later but more important if not than I have to assume something is buggy on my end, thanks.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's been a problem for years with several CM designs, if they're aware they probably don't intend to do anything about it. CM don't really like listening to customers, they just expect you to buy replacement parts instead.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Yeah i just use a cheapy no-name 2-port PCI-e running my internal SATA burners, does the job

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If you had to guess, what do you think the problem is? Just shoddy equipment? Or is is simply loose connections somewhere. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Because when I get the card, that badboy is going in pronto! Time to blow out my case again :D

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shoddy wiring. You can tell that from the behaviour of the ports, and how the problems vary per person.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well if that's true, I'll just leave it. I haven't seen how the eSATA port is connected, but I'll bet it's not worth fixing. I just hope wire length has nothing to do with it. According to Wiki, 2 meters is the supposed maximum length. And I doubt very seriously that i've surpassed it. The internal cable is long, plus the external connector. Surely signal is not lost in the connection...

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

omegaman7 : buy one of those HDD Fans that attach to the HDD . IT WORKS Well in my Comp case and it keeps 4 drives prety cool, I just hooked it to the top drive blowing dowm, seems to work well

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What cooler are you talking about? A bit too late though. I bought an 800Rpm Scythe Slipstream. Should do well for his system, and quiet too ;)

15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

old, tired joke I know but it hasnt been mentioned in ages and the moment called for it.
    /favour?
    //favor

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You guys are not going to believe this one. Newegg shipped me the wrong monitor. They sent me a ML228 instead of a ML228H. It's supposed to be a 2ms, 16:9 monitor. What I've got is a 5ms 16:10 monitor. It's not much bigger than the 16:10 Sceprte it's replacing. I went to asus site and checked the specs, I found this:

http://support.asus.com/Specification.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ML228H&p=13&s=27&hashedid=1IgYQKmOG0aBL7X2

The housing is supposed to be 23.03" x 16.69" (Converted fr 585x424mm) and it's only 20.19" x 15.20". The box says ML228 on it in big blue letters, and the dimensions match

Nothing with this build has been simple! LOL!!

Russ

17. N_3_Days

N_3_Days Member

Now.I see there out of stock on the Asus ML228H what you gonna do? Return it for the right one and wait for restock to come in?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

creaky, we didn't get mentioned because we would blow everybody out of water with our post counts. my post count is just under 52k & if i had stayed an addict it would still been above sam's post count.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hehe indeed. I only really post in this thread nowadays, i'll rarely be seen (on this site) outside of this thread pretty much, work is always way too busy (which is fine by me).

As to hard drive cooling, my Antec 900 has all drive bays filled and i have a (quite thick material) homemade filter over the front case fans so airflow to the hard drives is less than it could be, have to do this as the cat moults so much that i have to cover the front fan grills (and that's even with the Antec being up on the desk). However all runs stably so i don't bother monitoring the temperature of the hard drives. Come summertime i may well start more monitoring, though in the summer i tend to just stop running Seti@Home & Milkyway to keep the case temperatures down.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

N_3_Days,

Actually, I'm not going to do anything. I figured it all out. The Aspect Ratio is 16:9, so the specs on Asus site must be a mistake. I finally figured out how to reset the monitor, and everything has been fine ever since. Love the monitor, hate the controls as they are touch sensitive and you don't even have to touch them at all to change things as you just need to get near them and they will change, much like the HP Media Center laptops controls do. I just have to remember not to clean or go near the sensors with the power on. It must be my body chemistry, because I always have problems with these kind of controls. Can't use a touchpad either for the same reason. The cursor jumps all over the place1 The picture quality is outstanding, and it stays quite cool. The LED backlight makes the monitor much lighter and really slims down the monitor. It only weighs 8.1 lbs!

Russ