1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ is magneto!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Deadrum: I figured, but the last time that happened they actually didn't know, so it pays to check!
    Russ: If it's a 16:9 monitor, it wouldn't be able to display the full 16:10 resolution, as that's more pixels than the panel will actually have. The 16:10 resolution it will have been producing must have been lower than the full 16:9 resolution (for example, 1680x1050 instead of 1920x1080, or 1440x900 instead of 1600x900)

3. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I think you meant 16:10 higher resolutions Sam, as you stated to began with.

Code:
    Monitor Aspect Ratio for (16/10 format) Standard
    ==============================================
    1024x 640
    1280x 800    WXGA
    1440x 900    WXGA, WXGA+, WSXGA
    1680x1050    WSXGA+
    1920x1200    WUXGA
    2560x1600    WQXGA
    3200x2048    WQSXGA
    3840x2400    WQUXGA
    5120x3200    WHXGA
    6400x4096    WHSXGA
    7680x4800    WHUXGA

Monitor Aspect Ratio for (16/9 format) Standard
    ==============================================
    1280x 720    WXGA
    1366x 768    HDVGA
    1440x 810
    1600x 900
    1920x1080    HDTV
    2048x1152    QWXGA
    2560x1440    WQHD

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well no, because as I say, a monitor can display fewer pixels than it has, but not more, for obvious reasons. Thereby, a 16:9 resolution monitor displaying a 16:10 picture must be displaying a lower resolution than its maximum.

5. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Kind of a confusing way to say it just can't display the full 16:10 image I'd say?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

I don't know as to whether CM actually sells the parts at all. Then there's the problem of needing a Pop Rivet gun, or replacing the Pop Rivets with screws!

Russ

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

I am well aware of that. Then again it's mostly 16:9 today for just about everything. I am going to have to learn how to burn DL media though. DVDRB/CCE seems to be time limited, rather than how many GB you are compressing. DVDRB handles up to about 140 minutes worth of video on a DVD 5 without issue, but I just got done processing the Extended Edition of Avatar, which is 178 minutes, and the picture just falls apart on a DVD 5, while as a DL, it looks fabulous. I'll have to get with Fred though, as he knows what he is doing in the DL department, better than anyone I know.

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

http://www.coolermaster.nl/shop/ - Where I went, after CM ignored all my support requests.
    When burning as an actual DVD, 178 minutes is going to be too long for a standard DVD5, you should definitely be using dual layers for that. I haven't used real DVDs for a very long time, so I can't give much personal experience, but I wouldn't really expect 140 mins to turn out that great either, the standard bitrate allows for up to 120 minutes at respectable quality.

9. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I've used DVD-RB a lot, however not in quite some time since I live in the Blu-ray world now. I've done many 2.5 to 3 hour movies and had no problem making a good quality DVD5 from it. It takes 12 to 24 hours, with a dual core or better, to transcode them as I go for the highest quality. I use CCE sometimes but typically use ProCoder as I've tested both and ProCoder 2-3 was better than CCE at the time. The new version of CCE is better than the one I was using back then so it may be as good, or even better now, however it was pretty close even back a couple of years ago. Your problem may be that you are doing a complete backup instead of Movie Only and how you are transcoding the extra's, but that is just a shot in the dark as I don't know exactly what you are doing in your setup.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I stilled the menu's with Menushrink, and ran 3 passes on Avatar. It's respectable on my 50" 720P plasma :p 3 Passes helps when Bitrates drop below 3,000 - 2,500. I think it's quite funny that I see people doing 6 - 9 passes. Overkill much? LOL!!!!!!!
    But I of course own the dvd and Blu Ray. I bought the DVD - BD combo pack. So my backup won't get too much use. The BD is nothing short of epic! I also converted the BD straight to DVD-5 with Bd rebuilder. It looked considerably better. At this point in time, it's the best movie I've ever bought. However, I can't wait for the Extended BD's of Lord Of The Rings xD
    Russ, Imgburn is generally automatic with DVD DL media. It'll offer you a few locations to make the layer break. (where there could be a brief pause). I like it when it happens at a scene change ;)

11. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I do 9 passes typically and you can tell the difference between that and 2-3 passes, there is more pop (crispness)to the video so I'll spend the extra time and it is even more important on larger files where more compression is required. It is that little difference which is the same difference so they say when comparing CCE to ProCoder. I have a friend who is kind of a bone head when it comes to this stuff and he can see the difference too.

That’s funny because you couldn’t pay me to watch either of those movies, but this is why we keep getting crap these days, it is just a new age I guess. It is also due to that why I normally only watch classics these days with rare exception.

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I do happen to have a low bitrate 1080p version of Lord of the Rings Extended. Not the greatest quality but better than the DVDs. And it looks better on my 32" HDTV than on my monitor which helps quite a bit.

Also do have a high bitrate copy of Avatar Extended in 1080p. Will agree that the image quality for Avatar is awesome in general :)

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Agreed. Avatar is awesome in every way. To those who don't like it, they must simply have particular interests. Or CGI simply doesn't wow them like it does countless millions. To each his/her own. We all have our own opinions.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I can always tell when i won't like a film as much as others, if half the planet raves about it, i can tell it's not going to be that engaging. Avatar & District 9 are the last two examples that spring to mind, i knew they wouldn't (to me) be classic films. There's great effects in Avatar to be sure, but not a great deal of substance; i've been the same since i was a teen, never been one to be wowed by the latest craze. That's one reason why my PC's and other kit last so long, i'm a salesman's nightmare. As to movies, i don't bother encoding my own anymore, though i do still use ConvertXtoDVD (version 2, don't need anything newer) to convert any movies for the kids. I let the experts 'out there' do any other encoding now, 720p BRRip/BDRip are more than crisp enough for my tastes. Any one of the Harry Potter movies (all are watched often by me and by the kids and the G/F) wipes the floor with the likes of Avatar i'm afraid, i'm all for plot/substance over prettiness :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've still not watched Avatar if you can believe it, I do want to at some point, but it's allocating the time for it :p
    I know exactly what creaky means about enormous hype and its negative correlation with my enjoyment of films, but for District 9 at least, I actually quite enjoyed it, it was a fairly familiar premise, yet with a slightly different spin on it, and I thought the fi;m itself was rather good, personally.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I thought there was plenty of substance. District 9 on the other hand...Meh. It was ok. I wouldn't compare those two...

Sorry about off subject.

17. creaky

Don't get me wrong, i do enjoy both those films, they just don't get me excited, i'm not easily pleased nor overy fussy, i just don't get the hype, and if something is hyped to that extent i know it's going to be watched once or twice and no more. Each to their own, as i always say though.
    And back to PC's (gotta bring us back on topic i guess!), my Q6600 is still more than quick enough for my needs, can't believe i've had it for 4 years now.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I'm probably gonna sell my Phenom II 965. I should be able to get 130 - 150USD eh?
    Although I see newegg is selling it for 139.99. I'd like to collect some money, so I can buy the 1090t :D

19. creaky

I still ponder whether or not to get another Q6600 as i still have the MSI P35 Platinum board that i bought in '07 and had RMA'd. All i'd need is a CPU, cooler and a PSU. Trouble is i haven't a need for another Quad, never mind nowhere to put it!. Q6600's go for about £80, i'd probably use a stock cooler instead of another Zalman, and i'd probably only buy a 400W CPU. I have spare RAM that was RMA'd (yep, half of the original 4GB Crucial Ballistix i bought in '07 - or am i running on the RMA'd pair, can't remember). So not expensive but i probably still splurge the cash as i'd feel like i was looking for an excuse to simply build a machine around a spare motherboard

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

£80's a lot for a Q6600 when there are dual cores for that sort of money that are just as fast nowadays, albeit granted without the requisite motherboard/RAM. If you wanted to reuse the system, I'd try and find something dirt cheap like an E6300/4300 or E5200/7200.