1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What are you trying to connect to? Remote desktop? A network folder share?

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'd like to check on his computer from time to time, without having to drive over there. Plus I'd like new knowledge on my back ;)

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, you can do that one of two ways - windows remote desktop (easy, simple, but will log the remote user off if they're currently using the PC), or VNC (a little more complex, but allows you to move the cursor realtime on their computer, and your input show up on their monitor.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So with VNC, I'd be able to run programs on their computer, from my computer? That way I can run monitoring tools, and also play jokes on them LOL!!!

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

I removed both blue covers and cleaned what ever thermal tape the stayed stuck to the top of the heatsink. I removed the entire heatpipe cooler and cleaned all the thermal tape from the bottom and replaced it with Ceramique, on the NB and VRMs. As you can see, it works quite well!

Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm afraid the only thermal paste I have, is MX-2, Tuniq TX-1, And the Diamond paste, I tried a while back. Seemed to help marginally.
    [​IMG]

7. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Yup, with exception to some protection programs like Norton. You can log on with out them knowing however if you move your cursor in their environment it will make their system sluggish and they should know your doing something, maybe?

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The MX-2 will work just fine. You just don't want to be using anything conductive around the VRMs. Ceramique is just easier, since it's so sticky. Chipsets and VRMs are what Ceramique was originally made for, and you have to be very careful using it on an AMD CPU! You can pull the CPU right out of the socket when you remove the cooler. The best way is to gently twist the cooler back and forth, as you release it, so the cooler comes away without the CPU attached.

Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Diamond, is supposed to have the least electrical conductivity. It only helped my temps by 1 - 2C last Time I applied it. I'll likely hold on to it though, and use it on my Bulldozer CPU when I get it.

I wouldn't be caught dead using norton. Resource pig deluxe! AVG is the only comparable program I would use, and I don't even use it. Malwarebytes seems to cover my but enough :p I don't browse junk sites. When I google, I'm highly careful.

Thank you Sam and Mr-movies. I'll check out this "VNC" :D

10. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I use Ceramique too and have pulled a CPU out of the socket so Russ is straight up on that!

With all of your feedback I just bought the GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H but I know this wouldn't be the one you would have went with Oman7 as you're not really a Gigabyte fan however it looked like the best board for the money so I hope you're not pissed off that I went this route. LOL

When I get my NCAA64 winnings I'll go for the HDD, however I'm torn over which drive to go with and you all have given me so much feedback I'm even more confused??? :p

Will I need to pull off the Northbridge chip when I get my new board? Do you think it will run cooler if I desolder the chip entirely?? LOL

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  11. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I wouldn't use Norton either but I do use AVG however Malwarebytes is very good too. Recently I've been telling friends and family to use Comodo as it has gotten much better and it is free.

I use VNC all the time and it works pretty good most of the time once you get through the initial setup it is a breeze.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Quite the contrary. I happen to be a very dedicated Gigabyte fan at the moment. I've bought 6 boards total :p If Asus wouldn't have gotten so dire, I'd probably be buying their stuff. But I don't like the longevity (as it were) that I'm seeing...

13. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I was considering the Asus and haven't played with one in some time so it's good to know that they have issues and I didn't go that route.

I was ribbing you since I knew you had at least one Gigabyte board as it is listed at the bottom of your posts.

Gigabyte board use to be my favorite board but they had a bad spell too several years ago so I started to buy MSI, Asus, and ASRock. I really liked the ASRock boards as I have several but they don't support USB devices well so I'm getting away from them even though their BIOS layout and OC'n features are very nice.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mr-Movies,

I used to use Asrock boards for customer builds, and while they were very good, they weren't particularly durable. All made it past the 1 year warranty period, but none lasted more than 18 months. I tried BioStar and Foxconn boards with about the same result. I used Asus motherboards for many years, but their Customer Service has gotten so bad, and their Service techs are in total denial of well documented problems, that I had the good fortune (thanks to DocTY) to buy the Legendary Gigabyte 965P-DS3 v3.3 for my E4300 build, and followed that one up with a EP35-DS3R for my E6750 build.

When I switched to AMD, a few years ago, I continued with GigaByte, and in spite of a few glitches I've been pretty happy with their AMD boards. This is my 3rd CPU upgrade on my present motherboard, an MA790X-UD4P. I initially had some south bridge problems and a few other odd things go wrong, but I'm really happy at how well it all finally came together, and I'm real pleased with the new AMD 1090T BE, and it's performance. For me and what I use a computer for, I don't need the additional cost of a faster Intel, because it doesn't help the programs I use the most. At 4.0GHz @1.424v, it runs very cool, and is an absolute Animal at Video Encoding. I'm going to look into CCE-MP because it can use up to 8 cores, which would fully utilize all 6 cores of my CPU!

Russ

15. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I have 3 ASRock boards and the oldest is 4 years now without one problem other than the USB driver issues. I can't complain about reliability but I can complain about compatibility. If it wasn't for the USB I would not have anything bad to say about ASRock. You know ASRock is a spin-off of ASUS back in 2002.

Gigabyte has always been one of my favorite boards especially after Tyan stopped making desktop boards and only focused on their server boards like Tomcats. For a while Gigbyte had regulator problems and cheap caps but now I see they have improved.

I use CCE SP3 and have MP as well but haven't played with it yet. I like CCE but I also like ProCoder unfortunately though when I do use DVD-RB now I can't use ProCoder since I need the latest version of ProCoder when running on Win7 and RB doesn't like ProCoder 3, bummer.

I'm somewhat looking at the AMD 1100T but will probably wait a bit before jumping on it.

Has anyone used the SerViiO Media Server I'm interested in it but would like some feedback, I would think Sam has played with it or I'm hoping so? Right now I'm using TVersity but would like something more manageable.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

After failure after failure with Asus boards, I finally made the switch to Gigabyte in late 2007. Apart from a couple of dual-slot PCIe woes, I haven't had any major problems with any of them.
    Mr-Movies: Unfortunately I've never even heard of Serviio, what is it you want to do?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mr-Movies,

You have MP? The program costs a whopping $75,000! Ouch! For that money, it should come with a very high end computer included with MP! LOL!!

I see that the price of the 1090T BE has gone back up to $200. I got mine for $155! glad I got it when I did!

Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Damn you russ, damn you! I had no idea it got that low. I probably would have pulled the money out of... Some place LOL! If it were more reasonable, I'd probably get it, but 200$ is very difficult right now. Even if I sold my 965, I'd have to cover nearly 100USD. Perhaps in a few weeks.

19. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

What I don't like about TVersity is the lack of making my own categories for sharing. For now I'm just using it for Photo's and Music on my DirecTV boxes. My music is around 500GB, some of it is dup'd so I have to weed out the duplicates. For some reason TVersity doesn't want to display my Billboard (Top 100 /Hot 100) folder but does display all other content like, "Blues, Jazz & Soul", "Childrens Music", "Country", "Funk", "R&B", "Rap and Hip-Hop", "Reggae", "Singles", "Solitudes", and "Various Artists" which are all segregated in separate folders as well. I've set tags and titles for all and correctly tagged them i.e., "Music.Billboard Top 100" without quotes of course. What happens is instead of just creating a few folders or categories that I want displayed I get all sorts of categories, folders, tags, and so on. Now for me it's not a big issue to have all of this clutter but for others using the share it is too confusing. So I would like a server that provides me with full control what will be displayed as shared content.

Eventually I may by some big drives and put my DVD & BD movies on there too but for now I'm just worried about music and photos.

20. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I think I got MP on my HP notebook. LOL

The 1090 and 1100 are $30 difference if I could get it for what you paid I'd be jumping on it now.