1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Steve,

I'm quite sure that if you took your $30 cooling solution and added a pair of the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 fans to it, it would do pretty much the same job!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8004&cm_re=Noctua_fans-_-35-608-004-_-Product

I've never see fans capable of this CFM and pressure that were close to being as quiet. They are also PWM, so you can use the PWM controller on the motherboard to control them, but it would cost you overall, more than the Noctua NH-U12P SE2! I may buy one to put on the rear of my Coolit R-120 to see if I can use just one fan, if not, I'll use two!

I have 5 Doctor friends that got together and bought a house I call "The Club". They have more hi-tech computer components there, than the average custom computer store. It's their hobby, one that borders on the fanatical! If they say that the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is the best air cooled solution, I won't argue with them about it! They don't care about World Records, just the accomplishment and personal satisfaction of breaking them! That's why I couldn't get them to join AD! It would interfere with the time spent, doing what they enjoy the most! They are all a bit Quirky and a bit Nerdy at times, but a great bunch of guys that I have a great deal of respect for.

Russ

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm not really interested in the corsair waterworks because they steal a fan slot and everyone around here gets the best results jury-rigging fans where they arent meant to be. It is great it works well for some, but its not my style. Not that i have any style to speak of but...yeah...

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I would love to meet your doctor friends russ LOL! If I had more money, I'd be playing even more. YOu guys have no idea how obsessed I am LOL!

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

That's the whole idea of these great guys being so low key. They have the money to do as they please, and they enjoy it. It's personal satisfaction only. It's like me and building computers. I'm going to start on build #498 in a week or so, 2 to go for 500 builds since 1989!

Check this out. One of the tracks of Jackie's new album due out June 14th! It's been put out as a prayer for Japan, with a slide show. No dry eyes around here! She turned 11 on Sat. Simply amazing voice! Send it to all your friends. Just because the earthquake isn't in the news anymore, doesn't mean these people still don't need help! If you can get past the last part without tears, then you ain't human!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-sYOdN560c&feature=player_embedded

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  5. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Russ,

Well they are quieter for the same airflow 12-20dba versus 16-24dba so I see what you mean about being better, they are. I guess the 4dba isn't enough to me to warrant $25x2 for fans that I can get for $5-$10 and performs pretty much as well. This is similar to the Audio world where you can really get carried away at almost no noticeable difference. If I was your doctor friends and money wasn't as important I guess I'd go the same route. However if I'm going to spend that kind of money then I guess I'd start looking at heat pumps, thermal plates, and get real extravagant. I tend to take the practical approach myself and bang for the buck is my motto.

Stevo

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Woo just got a WD1001FALS. 109MB/s max, 89 average, very nice numbers up from 85MB/s max, 74 average on my 500GB 32MB cache 7200.12s! Boot time is better and games load noticeably faster. It also helped Oblivion a fair bit, small random files hog that it is.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I love my WD1001FALS drives! I had one as boot for a while on my secondary. Secondary when I had it anyway :S Excellent drives. In some ways, they seem almost as smooth as the velociraptor. Of course the veloci has certain other skills ;)

8. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That is a great drive but what is SATA-300, hehehehe... It would be nice if they would just stick with the original SATA1, SATA2, SATA3... Or since some get confused by revisions just do like NewEgg and so many others and say SATA 3GB and so on...

My new Seagate ST31000524AS isn't bad but also isn't great. It runs pretty cool but when it chugs you can hear a thump-thump from time to time. It also isn't a real performer for a SATA3 drive you would think that with a 6GB pipeline that it would just fly. I found a performance comparison and it was middle road with WD's at the top of the mechanical drives and SSD's being the best of course.

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

SATA 6Gb technically has more bandwidth yes but that doesn't actually mean anything for the performance of the drive. Mechanical hard drives can't even begin to touch SATA speeds. For that matter, neither do SSDs unless you have multiples making transfers simultaneously. SATA 3 has a theoretical transfer rate of 750MB/s. That's also not including multiple controllers!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I still don't see the point of S-ATA 3 on a mechanical drive. I don't know any mechanical drives that can even burst transfer off the cache fast enough to saturate S-ATA 2.

11. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Even though a mechanical drive doesn't use the full potential of its existing interface it can still, perform better; be snappier in response on a faster interface. Larger buffering, faster response times, and less over head on a bus can make things snappier. If my drive was a high end drive I might see better response on the SATA3 interface over SATA2 but I think your right that they don't even come close to tasking SATA2 interfaces so SATA3 isn't going to make a difference, I haven't done the math in a while on SATA2's.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not sure I've seen any proof that SATA3 improves latency...

13. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Me either I haven't really done the math on the whole thing which is why my assumption that I'd see more pop was wrong. I need to take some time and re-visit the spec, as I'm obviously shooting in the dark here.

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

SATA2 is technically limited to 375MB/s as it's half as fast as SATA3 iirc. So multiple SSDs could pretty easily saturate it. But again mechanical drives are likely to go unaffected. All the way down to SATA1 is going to be pretty similar on a single drive.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm sure the industry can saturate Sata3...

16. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

But that is per device/interface and as far as I recall you can't have a slave on a SATA interface even though it is based on that structure. It obviously has so much headroom already that SATA3 isn't going to make any difference what so ever jumping from SATA2, in this case.

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I thought it was a single data bus ie shared bandwidth. I could be wrong :S

lol So am I. But I'm talking basic home usage, enthusiast usage, etc. Like the stuff that matters to us.

18. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

^ just for reference

We'll that "worked" till last night. Not sure if updating the drivers actually had anything to do with it working properly for a while, as I stated in my original post I'm at a total loss as to why this is occurring. I'm half hoping I can blame in on the gpu so it'll be an easy fix but there's pretty much no chance of that lol.

19. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Estuansis, That is true the SATA port multiplier handles all of the drives and they do share bandwidth so the SATA3 controller would perform better if you had a 6 drive RAID setup over a SATA2 6 drive RAID configuration and is like SAS or SCSI in that sense. You only have Master channels, no slave, but still share with other channels. I guess I brain farted over the master/slave nonsense I stand corrected, thanks...

To much other stuff going on at home right now I'm cutting walls open and running a new 15amp service to my DirecTV, Network/Internet, and phone systems patch panel. All this is in the laundry room on the same service as the washer/dryer and has been kicking the GFI circuit out constantly. When that happens it brings down TV, Phone, and the Network, the DSL takes forever to re-initiate.

Stevo

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

lol been there done that. Here it trips if the fridge kicks on while you're using the microwave XD

No worries dude we all get confused with all this new-fangled gadgetry lol.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011