1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by souldoubt, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It should be an installer that you just run...

2. herrick

herrick Regular member

@sam
    I did that. It required a restart for changes to take effect. Now I don't see anything different. No new program in start menu no new desktop icons. Looking on amd website for instructions no readme file with that paticular download.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not a program, it's a driver, it's all automated.

4. herrick

herrick Regular member

@sam
    ok thank you, but how do you know it's actually doing anything?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Er, if you installed it, then it's working...

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

is this any good?
    Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W
    [​IMG]

would like to know soon as this psu iv got now seems to have the power all over the place

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes thats a very good power supply , one of the best

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use it. it owns. Only thing is, if you have a very quiet PC and use it at its full load, it may seem a bit loud compared to your other components. As PSUs go, it's still good on the noise front, but when I've been gaming for a bit I guess mine's somewhere between 26 and 30dB. not bad, but way in excess of the 18dB it's supposed to be.

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

marsey99 ,Antec/True Power PS are top notch also

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, and while we're at it, Corsair, Tagan, Enermax and Seasonic are worth a look.

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

good. im glad you all aprove as iv got one. love fact i dont need to use cables i dont need(and the black case and cables are nice too). doesnt seem to make any more noise than my last one, but i havent pushed it yet. i can hear the 120mm asaka amber in the front of my case more than anything as its not ment to fit there(mounts for 2 80mm) but i made it.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, if you're concerned, get some Acousti products Anti-vibration fan mounts, they're supposed to be excellent. I'm going to buy some soon so i'll tell you what they're like. As it happens I use all the modular cables, but that's not why I bought it lol. I do to be fair have a molex or two still left I think, but as daisy chains from fans.

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

iv only got 2 sata hdd, 2 dvd drives(molex/ide) and i used the longest molex one for the cpu fan controller at the bottom of my case, my 2 case fans are both running to the one mobo header, i stripped the wire on one removed the plug on the other and soldered them together, bit of insolation tape and job done. i only did as i wanted to solder somthing, an adapter is only £2 but thats not the point is it.

14. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

m$ do a u-turn
    m$ product manager Nick White in his Windows Vista blog.

'Our intention behind the original terms was genuinely geared toward combating piracy; however, it's become clear to us that those original terms were perceived as adversely affecting an important group of customers: PC and hardware enthusiasts,' he writes.

'You who comprise the enthusiast market are vital to us for several reasons, not least of all because of the support you've provided us throughout the development of Windows Vista. We respect the time and expense you go to in customizing, building and rebuilding your hardware and we heard you that the previous terms were seen as an impediment to that - it's for that reason we've made this change.'

so it looks like we can istall v**ta as many times as we like.

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

well they are out.
    scan has the 8800's @ £350 and £450

and the qaud cores are shipping on the 24th of this month.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Any news on R600?

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

some rumours that ati have sent out some, not yet final hardware, silghtly under powered review samples, but nothing concrete. they are waiting to see what the 8800s can do before they show thier hand, makes sense to me.

also some other rumours of the mid/low end g80s in feb with some less power hungry features, which should be nice those of use with out 1kw psu's

other news

scan have also got the new nf68(689i) mobos in. a steal for £199.15 :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, but why? lol. An 8600GT could be very promising, and what do you reckon, 7800GT/GTX power level? Would probably have half the thermal consumption of those cards too, that's one thing nVidia have got good at, and ATi have just ignored, seemingly! True the 8800 power consumption is huge, but the R600's will very likely be far bigger. I'd prescribe a 700W+ PSU to guarantee good performance with one X2800, you'd want a 1KW unit for two, and as for 3x crossfire? Erm....

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

tough one that, history shows the new mid range is on par with the high end of the last gen, but with the 7800s, 7900s and the gx2, who knows? i would guess it would be somewhere in between the first two, but with sm 4 being its trump card.

i wonder which models ati will be bringing out at launch, and if they be £450?

edit
    just read this and it seems we have no need to worry about the power.

sorry i cant get the link right but you will see the story.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmmm, given the past I'd expect ATi's new offering to retail at somewhere aroun the £400 mark rather than £480 that the 8800GTX is. Previously it seems all the nVidia cards have appeared at higher prices than ATi, and that hasn't changed much with time. The midrange segment is very competitive, but at high end, nVidia's fanboy-attracting marketing seems to be allowing for a higher net price than the competition. A while back I noted an X1900XT being $290 at newegg and the 7900GTX being $450. As far as I'm aware that situation, may not be as bad but it still stands. I remember the 7950GX2 being over £400. I never remember the X1900 series being that much...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.