1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by souldoubt, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

Depends on what you are trying to do...I would rec putting in more than a gig, but its really up to you. Corsair is the brand I would go with though...Hey Rob_K can you send me the final decision of the hardware you are going to get...I am also trying to put together a powerful gaming system and I am willing to spend about $1500. I game CSS, BF2, and DOD a lot.

2. esoteric1

esoteric1 Guest

yeah i was originally going for 2Gb of corsiar value ram but now i want to get the high performance stuff but my budget doesnt have room for 2gb of it so i think il just get 1 gb now and then another gb later on...but i guess il have to get a single gb stick each time since i dont want 4x512 in the end...so i wont have dual channel to start but il have it in the end... but buying two sticks at diff times means they wont be "matched"... but im not sure if that makes a big diff. lol it seems that i dont really have a clue what im gunna do in the end. mehh i should just expand my budget for the 3rd time lol.

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

you want to go 2 GIGs if at all possibly

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@rob
    if you have more cash i would advise you get 2 x 1gb of ram instead.
    http://media.xfire.com/xfire/client/xfsite/xfire_installer.exe

edit

as for your case like i said its a personal thing, but what you should look for are 120mm fans front and rear(they make less noise than smaller fans), a side vent for your graphics card, a harddrive encloser that is not mounted sideways. i cannot stress this enough. when they go in sidways not only can they be a pain to fit, and run the wires to, they block the airflow through the case which is the most important thing.

have fun :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

this is the case to get if your a gamer!!

http://www.calibex.com/Antec-9-BAY-MIDTOWER-515911662/cb2/prices-html

[bold]Antec Nine Hundred Steel ATX MID Tower Computer Case
    Case Type: Mid Tower - Motherboard Form Factor: ATXIntroducing the Antec Nine Hundred hardcore gaming case. Now you can own any noob ever spawned with this ultra-mean case in classic black finish. We know your gaming hardware produces a lot of heat, that's why the case is built for maximum cool with a perforated front bezel, three 120mm fans with mounts for even more fans, and a monster top-mounted 200mm fan that's right, we said 200mm! The versatile Nine Hundred is maximally customizable to fit your needs. The modular design lets you modify the placement of the front fans and hard drive cages. There's even a tray on top for your mp3 player, digital camera, or that spare illudium Q-42 explosive space modulator that you have lying around. Be the envy of everyone at your next LAN party, impress your friends, and just generally show everyone that you are the ultimate master of all time with the Antec Nine Hundred![/bold]

[​IMG]

It A Beauty!!!! I am getting rid of my 200.00 plus Lian-Li V1000 to get this case!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2006
  6. esoteric1

esoteric1 Guest

you may have to strap that case down or it might just fly away with all those fans lol....Maybe thats why the PSU is mounted at the bottom of the case, to lower the center of gravity so the bloody thing doesnt tip over!!! ha. anyway yeah cwazy case there

7. herrick

herrick Regular member

AARRRR... that case makes the mind wonder, would relly like to know your temps now w/ the rig you got- compared to that case,,, O ya INFORMATION

8. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

I like the case...I just dont like that its a mid-tower

9. herrick

herrick Regular member

Ya that is what I thought at first...BUT now I say- the machine I have now is for others to enjoy what I produce and help with-BUT that case and the right parts would be for my enjoyment and my enjoyment only LOL let the game begin!

10. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

so...are you saying its a good case or no? I am looking for a good one for my gaming pc i want to build, but i kinda wanted a full-tower.

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the pics dont do that case justice, it looks even better in person.

i looked at one when i get mine, the only downside with it was the lack of filters on the induction fans and its weight. now for most people that wont matter, but i live in a dusty old house and it doesnt seem to matter what we do we cant get rid of it.

i think one of these with a dfi lanparty mobo and some uv lighting would look amazing.

12. herrick

herrick Regular member

It is not hard to make your own filters and it would not look getto, if you put some time and research into it...

I live in a industarl bay of Tacoma and my apt window is right over a major freeway on ramp over looking the water w/ big ships throwing their crap at me daily... that being said- I clean my filters often, it becomes a matter of what you are willing to invest...most of the time who really cares- a machine is like a women care for it often and the problems are at low level

YES i would get that case as long as I was just gaming on it...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

CANNED AIR !!!! will do the trick

heres the icing on the cake

[bold] and a monster top-mounted 200mm fan that's right, we said 200mm![/bold] lol!!

shuboy00, being a mid-tower case isn't going to be a problem unless you want to run four optical drives. i have seen the case also and it only like an inch shorter than my Lian-Li full tower

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2006
  14. herrick

herrick Regular member

Can someone please tell me what is the differance between these to cards:
    1. XFX 7900 GT [$199.99]
    2. XFX 7900 GS [$149.99]

Besides the money value...LOL

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You didn't give specific models but they both sport a 256 bit memory interface and have 24 pixel pipelines so the main difference is that the 7900GS generally has a higher clocked core and memory thusly making it a higher performing card. Both are great cards in my opinion but if you're an overclocker and happen to get a good GT you can OC it to GS numbers and save $50 while doing it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  16. herrick

herrick Regular member

is not the letters after the 7900 the mod. #? your saying the cheapper one I have listed is the better card? [on the site they both had 256 MB]

17. Nephilim

The letters after are a model description of sorts but newegg lists at least three distinctly different GS's and three different GT's. The differences are slight so you have to really dig into the product pecs to see exactly what the differences are.

I wasn't exactly saying the second one was "better", I was just saying that if you're an overclocker you stand a good chance of getting the same or near the same performance of the more expensive card by overclocking the cheaper card. There's a great little utility called "CoolBits" that makes overclocking an nVidia card fairly straightforward. I used it to OC my eVGA 6800GS from the stock 490/1100 to 510 1150 with perfect stability :)

Dunno if this link will work but here is a comparison from newegg,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16814150144,N82E16814150150,N82E16814150195

18. herrick

herrick Regular member

thank you... will look into it!

19. Nephilim

My pleasure. Let us know how you get on :)

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sorry dude but you have got that the wrong way around. the gt is the better card, hence the price, the gs models are normaly a crippled version of the gt.

check here for some real world comparisons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.