1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by souldoubt, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You're absolutely correct. I got my GS's and GT's confused. The GT's also have 24 pipes compared to the GS's 20 pipes. That'll teach me to post when too tired :p

herrick, please accept my apologies for leading you astray.

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes herrick you want to get the 7900GT

3. herrick

herrick Regular member

No apologies needed, thanks everyone- this place is great!

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hey everyone.I got a few questions.i just got me a new segate 250gb HD. i have it installed in my system now but i think there is something wrong with it. i keep getting this error when ever i start or restart the computer.

then it goes onto another window ssaying i might have a problem useing the ne hardware...

then how do i get my OS onto this drive so i can take out my smaller HD and use it in my other older system. can i copy my other hard drive and then paste to the new one??? or is it not that simple?
    Yes this is the first major thing i have ever done to a computer other than installing dvd-rom drives.

thanks for any help

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

cincyrob, you are going to have to format windows to the new HD you can't just tranfer the OS to the new HD lol.

when you install the old HD into the other PC you will need to reformat windows on that one too!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2006
  6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@AABBCCDD
    i have a hp system i dont actually have the OS one 1 disc it is spread out onto 11 recovery disc.... so would i need to run those disc onto the new HD?

7. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Old hard drive cant go in a NEW system without reformat. Windows OS holds information like board and processor type, to make it harder to run multiple copies. If simply upgrading HD in same system, many programs like Acronis Migrate or Nortons Ghost will put all info on different HD with no reformat. I use Acronis and it is easy, there is even a free trial right now
    MIGRATE theres a link so check it out!
    As far as the problem and the error I believe there is some driver for Seagates that needs loaded, I'm not positive which one, but I know Moderator DDP always recomends one so try searching in that area hopefully you'll find it or someone else will help now we are in that direction.

8. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

I vote to close this thread at 100 pages or January 1, 2007. That's for organization purposes. I mean the original poster started this thread over 2 years ago! In the computer world, 2 years is a long time. The first system started with a amd xp3200+ and got to about $1000. For $1000 we could easily build a MUCH more powerful system today. So I suggest this thread dies and we start a new "Official PC Building Thread of n" with n being the year, every year so the thread could adapt to the current hardware more and so new people won't have to read through 90 pages of the thread. Also so no one goes out and buy the system on the first page and think they got the best bang for the buck right now.

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

if this happens by the end of next year there will still be 50 pages to read through.

i think that maybe it would be a good idea for the budget and dream pc threads as they do show their age if you start from page one but a building thread will/should change every time a better choice of componants becomes available and therefore is a continual progression.

sorry if im a bit off topic, i will try to bring it back.

my harddrive is working fine and is been on a couple of mobos, i just needed to install the right drivers to get it all to work correctly (sound, nic, usb2). i have also done an xp install on one pc, updated it, removed the hdd fitted it in another and done the same with the drivers and its worked, and that was from a semp 3400+ to a p3 800mhz, now maybe it was more luck than judgement but it all worked.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if using same or similar chipset than have good chance of not having to blowout hd & do a fresh install. i'm saying say via to via not via to intel or sis chipsets. done that a couple of times with no problem.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- i guess we could do. the original thread would still be here for reference purposes anyways.

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

my mobo changes were, via to a via mobo (no real surprise that worked) then to an nforce board now. the amd to p3 was a via mobo to a intel one and it booted fine it just needed the drivers for sound an nic.

im not saying this will work for everyone, it has for me a few times and im sure that it breaks your eula with m$, but if you dont care or try you will never know.

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

or we could delete the first 75 pages or so and go from there

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.