1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by souldoubt, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

LOL It's always nice to be appreciated :)

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Lian Li's are nice cases. I've the Lian Li 60 which is a great case. Plenty of spots for fans, all aluminum, replacable filter for the intake fans, and good overall build quality. Not too big, not too small :)

3. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

is it worth chaning some of ur fans to intake?

4. Praetor

5. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

well i want to build the basic system probably just word processing, can you tell me all tge components i need and where to get them from am in the uk. i want sound and video to be onboard.

6. Praetor

Whats the budget? (in USD or CAD)

7. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

well under £200 without monitor
    I have seen all the components from ebuyer.com for round 180 and it was a duron 1.8 80gb hard drive 128 ram mother board with onboard sound, video and lan and a cheap case with the fan for the cpu

8. Praetor

MOBO
    ASUS A7V8X-X (100CAD)
    An excellent all-around mobo -- it's not nForce2 but it's functional.

PROC
    AMD XP2500+ (130CAD)
    A sweet chip with a lot of OC headroom

VIDEO
    Radeon 9200SE 128MB (65CAD)
    No comment. I have bad issues with ATi. With my more open-minded personality: a seemingly good card for a good price.

HDD
    Maxtor 80GB 7200 2MB (90CAD)
    Your basic, run-of-the-mill hdd.

CASE
    The cheapest crappies case this side of the galactic node has to offer (30CAD)
    No comment.

Net Cost: $495CAD (£198.36) -- I even saved you some money. If you want more stuff or something you're gonna have to cut back: id suggest you look either at dropping the proc or the hdd before you consider anything else.

9. shenfo

shenfo Member

I wanted to start a business out of building custom computers and selling them.
    first off I know pretty much what I need but im not sure of every little detail. Can someone please list every detail of the computer that you will need.
    secondly I would like to know where to get all these parts very very cheap so I could sel them and make alot of cash.
    basically I only want p4's no off brands cpus.
    and then I just want like a suped up computer.
    it definitely has to be quiet though, but it has to be extremely fast.

thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  10. Praetor

First a word from out sponsers....
    NO ALL CAPSING
    NO ALL CAPSING
    NO ALL CAPSING
    NO ALL CAPSING
    NO ALL CAPSING

Advertising is against forum policies.

Confused.... you want to semm me a computer but you want me to find the price for you?

Ok you definitely got the personal preference end of things, you got the noise vs performance thing but you forgot the most important thing (as you note above) ....whats the budget? We can reccomend parts but we cant do so effectively without a budget.

You're welcome. :)

Oh and a word of advice: I've been selling computers as a hobby/self-employment for 8 years now .... it's better off making a bit of money off a single computer sale and walk away with an extremely satisfied customer than to make a killing off one dude. You'd be surprised what kind of references get thrown around by your customers ... and as for where I get my parts? ... well, that's classified.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

11. shenfo

shenfo Member

Its a pretty big budget, remember I want to start a business so I have money to invest.

12. Praetor

1. One more all caps response and you're gone.
    2. I took the time to reply to your post -- take some time to answer my questions so I can better help you -- it's your investment remember?

13. shenfo

shenfo Member

what question do you have

14. Praetor

1. Look at my first and second quotes -- you obviously didnt take time to clearly convey your intentts ... I cant help you spec out a system unless I have an idea of what its for and/or who its for
    2. Define big budget -- I'm making a competition grade system now and its got a budget of ~6K ... thats huge for a personal system but nothing for a business comp.

15. shenfo

shenfo Member

its probably gonna be one of those 3.4 ghz 2 gis of ram, gaming kinda computer. its gonna be for someone who needs alot of power and performance. i probably want to spend 1000-1500 on one computer that has no monitor

16. Praetor

Ok that gives me something to work with :) although for a killer gaming proc, 1-1.5K isnt a big budget to work with ... hehe when I asked I was thinking you had a 3-4K budget in mind (complete with phase-vapor cooling) hehe

PROC
    Intel P4EE 3.4 ($1100 USD)
    Who said performance was cheap? Tell them I want a refund :p If this is a little steep for you you can always take the P4EE 3.2 for $200USD less. Course if you're buiding an Intel-based competition gaming system, this is a must must for the winner circle ;-)

Intel P4-3.2 ($300 USD)
    While its not the Canterwood 3.4Ghz, (a) you can OC this baby just the same and (b) No sane human being (okay, even allowing for the fact you are buying Intel :p) should be paying $150 for an additional 200MHz.

MOBO
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe ($180 USD)
    A solid mobo, the P4C800 line demolished the compeition when it came to the Canterwood showdown. You wont be dissapointed. http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.htm

HSF
    Thermaltake DIY Tower112 ($50 USD)
    You said you wanted quiet. This is quiet. Just make sure you get two Silentboost fans to actually cool the damn thing. (above price includes one fan). http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/comboCool/cl-p0024tower112/cl-p0024tower112.htm

RAM
    Corsair XMS Pro TwinX XMS2048-3200 3-3-3-8 (2GB set) ($630 USD)
    A sweet pair of sticks, I got the 1GB for my gaming/last-year's-competition rig, this is the 2GB big brother complete with massive heatspreader and LEDs.... who said fancy RAM was cheap? We need to give them a wedgee :p http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx2048-3200pro.pdf

Corsair XMS TwinX2048-3200 3-3-3-8(2GB set) ($560 USD)
    This is almost the same as the above set except (a) they arent patched (matching occurs on P4C800 btw) and (b) the stable/OCd latencies are prolly higher and (c) there isnt an effective heat solution on it http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx2048-3200.pdf

VID CARD
    GeForceFX 5950U ($235 USD)
    Surprisingly (quite) cheaper than the ATi flagship card and IMHO, better performance.

SOUNDCARD
    Soundblaster Audigy ($95 USD)
    Your run of the mill basic staple of a soundcard/

By the time you finish reading this line you should prolly realize that your expectations are too high for a 1-1.5k budget. Something has to go at the least. Note that I havent spec'd out HDD, opticals nor case and PSU. Narrow down your search and I can narrow down a spec for you

17. shenfo

shenfo Member

i decided that i dont want to sell them and make them but i might want to buy one for myself from you.
    how much is a:
    p4 3.0 ghz 800front bus side speed ht technology
    2 gigs of ram
    128 mb graphics card
    5.1 suround sound
    dvd-rw
    80 gb hd

18. Praetor

why thank you! (i guess :p) however insured shipping and payment would be a pain in the arse .... I had considered doing this as a new business kinda deal witha couple of friends but none of them have the committment needed to get the ball rolling on that.

Please note that these "specs" mean jack all nothing. I can make a system that satisfies them that costs $1100 and I can make one that costs $4500. Some of the entries can be ambigious like the DVDRW, CPU and the HDD and maybe even the soundcard but the RAM and vidcard need to be explicitly spec'd (heck at least we need to know preferences, ATI/nVidia and brandname ram vs stock).

CPU:
    p4 3. 0 ghz 800front bus side speed ht technology
    Nothin fancy hear, $250 USD

RAM
    Corsair XMS TwinX2048-3200 3-3-3-8(2GB set)
    A decent set of RAM, you'll prolly want a better cooling solution than the one that comes with it, $560 USD

MOBO
    asus p4c800-e deluxe
    a solid mobo, the p4c800 line demolished the compeition when it came to the canterwood showdown. You wont be dissapointed, $180 USD

SOUND
    Soundblaster Audigy
    Nothing fancy hear, your basic 24bit soundcard, $95 USD

VIDEO
    Not enough Information

DVDRW
    LiteOn Dual 4X
    Again nothing too fancy hear, $100USD

HDD
    Maxtor 80GB 7200 8MB
    Nothing too special here, $88USD

So far Ive got the systemt o $1273 but thats without spec'ing the video, case, HSF, PSU or any peripherals. You said you know what you need but you just some more details -- well lets us know what you know! We cant give details from thin air!

:)

19. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

if you need a comp for a business u should get a dual xeon....they are pretty powerfull

20. Praetor

Regarding Xeons, Xeons are really only effective in a highly clustered environment utilizing largescale SMP -- now unless the people running the business know (or have hired someone who knows) how to manage a cluster of Xeon procs then they have problems. Of course if you are into that kinda deal you prolly/should have people who know what to get and how to deal with it.

If we are talking about a quiet business that just needs a stable machine to operate as a light server or to maintain a small network or something small then perhaps Dual Xeons are effective however cost/performance/lifespan-wise, Opterons will do a better job. My two cents.

:)

Now that ive reread the posts and realized why you said that about business systems, I can reinforce my point that Xeons are really only effective in quantities and I suspect it isnt the intention he has in mind.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.