1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by souldoubt, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Now that's a much fairer spec and argueably a damn good one for that price range however you should note that they havnt told you the make of the mobo.... for a reason probably :)

Anything outside of 18months is damn near impossible to speculate on ... especially when it comes to retail stores :)

2. JSRife

JSRife Guest

That is probably the best deal I have found on a factory built system with those stats. I won't argue you could probably build the same system for maybe a few hundred less with a few extras maybe, depends where you shop and what kind of deals they are throwing. You are right about the Motherboard, they didn't state what kind it was or anything like that, it does support the AMD 64 however which is good. I am guessing it is probably buttom of the barrel (mobo), but still probably a decent enough Mobo. That HP system could have came with a little better video card though, the video card I believe is the Nvidia 5500 which for just hanging out in Nvidia vs Ati post isn't a very good card. Either way $1400 bucks is still alot of money, and I would expect you getting a pretty good PC for that amount. What I have been doing in the Computer game is, buying a budget system that is up to date with todays technology's on a low scale of course, put a few simple upgrades in it (Memory) maybe even a modest video card and I'm good for a couple of years. I do pretty basic stuff on the internet, Email, Chat, Look up information, Maybe play a game or two from now and again, and that is about it. But for People who do things on a higher level then that, will probably need a Computer with alot more balls and have to continue to upgrade more often. You take some guys they probably consider there Computer Dinosaurs and ready to upgrade , and other guys might think there system is the bomb and way better then what they currently use. It's all what you use your computer for and how hardcore you really are in the Computer game, If you have the money makes a difference also. I plan on selling my Computer to a buddy of mine when I do get a new one, right now he currently has two computers and both are junk, I can even get away with saying that one. He has an Old Compaq (1999) model, this is back when Compaq was Compaq no HP in the picture at this time, he has a 500Mhz Celeron Processor, 10 Gig HD, system came with 64mb Sdram memory which he did upgrade to 384mb, which isn't much. And his HP system is from around the same time, it may be a year newer(2000) with bassically the same stats, I think it may have a 20 gig HD, oh boy....LOL...I could probably sell him my current computer for $200 easy and he would have a big woody buying it from me. I told him what my stats are on my machine and he was like WOW...LOL...

3. Praetor

Yeah the system does seem to be quite impressive for it's spec however note that three very important things are left out:
    - Brand of the mobo
    - How much L2 the proc has
    - Brand of the burner
    And knowing HP the burning will probably be HP (which is just an outfit for Phillips -- which is crap).

Yeah it's probably the ECS board I spec'd earlier .... "good" when it works ... it's just a question of how long it stays "working"

It's a decent card for an OEM built computer and a decent card for that kind of price (especially when considering its an OEM).. but yeah it could be improved

Yep; cheaper and easier to do when you've built your own computer rather than get an OEM (because OEM BIOS's limit you so much)

4. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I wish I had the money I think I'd kinda like to have. I would probably get the best home built Computer possible with all the top hardware to go with it, or pick up a Dell XPS, those are sweet as hell for factory built. I checked em out, pretty expensive, but damn what an impressive case it has, lol. The only complaint I have with the XPS is, it uses a Pentium 4, don't see an XPS that has the AMD 64 in it, which totally sucks. It seems the market and the People consider the highest Pentium 4 chip (excluding Xeon) up with the AMD 64 Chip. I see Computer systems like the XPS DEll with a damn Pentium chip in it, you would think they would just go all the way with it and throw in an AMD 64, hell they went all the way with everything else, why not get the best current processor? Anyone know when Pentium is going to put out a 64 bit processor? or are they just researching really well and putting together a chip to blow away the AMD 64? that is what I am thinking..You know the newest Pentium 64 will be slapping AMD in the face, just a matter of time. But I don't think the AMD 64 can be compared to the Pentium 4, the AMD is bitch slapping it right now. Right now is what matters.

5. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I know Praetor off the subject some....But I did mention Processors, which you need in order to build a Computer :) And also, did mention If I had tons of money to spend, I would be getting the best home built you can buy. I was thinking on these lines also, which might make sense now, What if you changed out the Pentium 4 in the XPS and put in new AMD 64 Chip, you would have to change the MOBO too right? already spending that kind of money, not really worth doing all that, you might as well build your own. But the thing of it is, I don't understand why the XPS has a Pentium chip in it to start with, being a big bad machine it is overall.

6. Praetor

Yeah but that's just corporate politics for ya. I emailed them about that and their commercial where they say "You design the system you want, we'll built it" and they've just ignored me. Bastards.

Corporate politics. Dont forget the majority of sales OEMs make are not for individuals but rather for companies, schools and organizations.

They've had one since ... .2000? 1999? something like that. But is been a corporate piece of hardware only.

You would have to change the mobo indeed.

That XPS machine doesnt have a Pentium4C in it. It's running the newer Pentium 560 series of chips (whatever that means :p)

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

Intel has decided to make a new naming scheme. go to http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17069 to figure out the number of the intel and what speed and all it is...i personaly think the naming is stupid..but i run AMd...so im not really affected by it lol.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can get the P4 3.2 GHz Extreme Edition which betters anything you can get from AMD. Sheer clock speed and a 2MB L2 cache can't be denied folks. It's not all politics.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  9. Nephilim

Fanboyism. No chip in the same class is bitch slapping the other.

The big selling point of the A64 is its 64 bit support but do you see Windows 64 on the shelves right now?

10. Praetor

Yes.

Id like to see the P4EE outdo an A64 in Mathematica 5 benchmarks.

Most of it is. Dell/HP/Gateway have had "ties" to Intel since "back in the day" when AMD wasnt such a big player. Those ties done just dissappear

11. JSRife

JSRife Guest

The AMD64 bit seems like a better bet to buy to me than any current Pentium 4. I'm not saying I'm buying a AMD 64 anytime soon it's to costly right now for my poor ass and so is a Pentium EE. I went to a few web-sites and compared bench marks, I don't know jack about benchmarks, but the AMD 64FX seemed to take the lead in in every benchmark comparing to the P4EE, there were a few wimpier AMD 64 Chips the P4EE took the lead in a few spots, but overall the weaker of the AMD 64 chips was still a little higher than the P4EE, it was really close on all of them, in some catogorys, but overall all of the AMD 64 chips were ahead, and even more so with the FX....

12. Praetor

Performance to cost, the P4C is probably a much better buy than anything from the A64 platform ... that'll change if and when the A64s drop at least $100 of the chip cost.

Although I'm an AMD fan and I'd like to believe that you'll notice the FX53 (which is on average $400 more per chip than the baseline A64 but still cheaper than the P4EE) doesnt often beat (if at all, I'm going from memory) the P4EE by a significant margin. Although one can argue "a win in a win" .... benchmarks can (and are) "tweaked" (which is why I also dont pay much attention to ATI/nVidia benchmarks unless there is a massive discrepency -- which there rarely is. Becuase if you goto the "Intel-crowd" I'm sure they could find the same benchmarks where the P4EE just ekes out the FX53. All in all I'd argue the FX53 is a better chip but I wouldnt base my arguments on benchmarks.

If by wimpier chip you mean the baseline A64, not likey. Consider for instance the Athlon64-3200 @ 512K (939) versus the P4EE3.2 .... the Intel will give the the A64 a lickin in everything except sheer floating point benchmarks.

Yep! And that should be expected as the FX is really the "big brother" of the baseline A64 .... or is it that the A64 is just a crippled FX? Dunno

13. JSRife

JSRife Guest

The bottom line is the AMD 64 is the best chip out.

14. Nephilim

I love blanket statements.

15. Praetor

Are you .... um.... ok? That isnt even remotely accurate and certainly not as a blanket statement (oh btw, there is not "AMD 64" chip)

16. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

how brave...please enlighten us as to how you figured this out???

17. JSRife

JSRife Guest

It's sad many People are still convinced the current Pentium chip is the more advanced Processor over the AMD64. Yeah it's not rocket science to know which one is the better of the two.

18. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

and yet we still have hundreds of thousands of debates all across the world/internet arguing which is "better"...it sure sounds like rocket sience ot me if there isnt one definite answer that thousands of people cant see. but who knows...maybe you've figured it out all on your own?

19. JSRife

JSRife Guest

32-bit technology goes back 10 years ago or more. The new technology is 64-bit....Now go figure it out? In the Computer world new = better, if you haven't noticed it keeps getting better.

20. Praetor

And it's sad when people comment beyond their scope. In case you didnt know it, the current flagship Intel chip is more advanced than the AMD chip -- now its no debate that its not faster but is is certainly much more advanced. Same dealy with the 9800 vs 5800 --- the 5800 was far more advanced -- just not faster.

Ok. You think the AMD one is more advanced. Why? As much as I love AMD, I cant legitmately make a comment like that without being able to back it up.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease dont tell me thats your line of reasoning. Because sorry to say it 64bit chips have been around for a veeeeeeeeery long time too.

WindowsME vs Windows98
    P4E vs P4EE
    5800 vs 9800
    X600 vs 9800
    GF4MX vs GF3Ti
    GFX5200 vs GF4
    9000 vs 8500
    Blanket statements like that are invariably wrong simply due to their blanket nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.