1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by souldoubt, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The Intel Xeons and AMD Opterons have been around for quite some time and both are 64 bit. The only "new" or "better" aspect of the A64 is that it's the first 64 bit processors made explicitly for desktops. 64 bit processors haven't been worthwhile for the average desktop user until now.

So what are you going to say when Intel puts out the dual core processor it's working on and AMD has yet to release one?

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

exactly...i was going to say the exact same thing. you beat me lol

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Dont forget the Itaniums circa 2000 and the Alphas circa a-fusking-long-time-ago

Even at that, 64bit for avg joe doesnt offter that much on its own -- it just so happens that the A64 line is faster than the A32 line but thats kinda coincidence.

"It's sad that people still buy AMD... like c'mon, Dual Core is the wave of the future" -- but wait... no! We can install Ritek Power Tablets! heehee (ok back on topic again)

4. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I like the numbers I guess. 32bit vs 64bit...Which one will be what's used 1-2 years from now? I see what is going on. Pentium is making excellent Processors, the best quality, Premium prices with the Xeon line and the P4EE. Forgive me for saying the AMD is more advanced, I didn't mean that literally, I should have said this. It will be used for more advanced programming, Windows-64 and programs that use 64-bit technology. But I doubt the actual chip is better quality or more advanced in anyway over Pentium, besides the simple fact it's 64-bit is all. I would be happy with anything better than what I got now.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

so you're saying the only thing AMD has got goin is the fact that its 64-bit??? and the rest of the chips are low quality? i dont think thats entirely true...but i think i see what you mean. The only resaon AMD is ahead of the game right now is the fact that it is 64-bit, and once Intel comes out it'll start moving ahead. i think by the time that comes AMD will already have a plan AGAIN and it wont be too long b4 they introduce yet again another chip that come out on top. but thats all a little way's away...here and now AMD is still the leader in almost all benchmarks and test comparisons. if you dont think so just go out on the internet lol...id say 85% of all tests are in favor of AMD...then you have like half of them being bogus or not througly tested.

6. Praetor

As far a "quality" goes, both AMD and Intel make excellent quality otherwise you'd hear people complaining left and right about failing chips all the time. The premium prices associated with the Xeon and EE chips arent exactly because of "quality" .... EE because it's a "limited edition" type of chip and the Xeon, well, obviously.

You cant exactly compare the programming done with AMD against that used for Intel for well, obvious reasons. ASM is complicated enough as it is.

Well it was the first to implement the NX feature, has a on chip memory controller and a crapload of other things. That's pretty damn advanced.

Yep!

7. JSRife

JSRife Guest

QUOTE:::::::::4W4K3 (Newbie) 17 July 2004 08:24
    so you're saying the only thing AMD has got goin is the fact that its 64-bit??? and the rest of the chips are low quality? i dont think thats entirely true.

I never said the other chips were low quality. I said Pentium is the best quality processor out. AMD is excellent quality also, I have an AMD processor and it works very well. I am guessing Pentium and AMD are both comparable quality, I just think the Pentium might be a tad better, sometimes you do get what you pay for, and Pentium has always been more expensive than AMD. I am talking comparable processors that is from both companys. I'm not going to say a Pentium 3 will cost you more than and AMD 64, I'm just saying pound for pound Pentium is the more expensive chip. Not including the AMD 64 line and the upper AMD class 3000+, I would say AMD is comparable to an Intel Celeron far as performance goes. As far as quality goes I hear the Celeron line are about the same as a Pentium, it's just the Celeron line are toned down alot and don't got the Pentium performace for obvious reasons it's a Budget processor. I think any processor that is current is good performance and quality, they gotta be. I would take either a Pentium or AMD if the stats are their that is all that really matters. I was just saying I think I would rather have an AMD 64 over any current Pentium out, maybe excluding the Xeon, but I am not rich. AMD tend to be more bang for the buck I have noticed over Pentium, they are much cheaper. You gotta pay a little extra for the Pentium name ya know. Both companys have cards that out do one another, as they evolve they get better. I think Pentium has a few tricks up it's sleeve, they are holding out on the P64, because right now the average consumer doesn't need a 64-bit processor, and in the 32-bit world the Pentium EE is kicking @ss. Soon enough Pentium will be coming out with it's 64-bit chip to the public and it will be beating out the AMD 64.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

So you're saying AMD chips are equal to Celeron chips...wow, i think i'm getting dumber. The celeron's were budget, piece of crap (in my opinion i've owned 2) computer. This 2.5ghz mobile processor would beat a Celeron chip in many benchmarks if not all. Sure Intel may "have a few tricks up its sleeve" but that doesnt mean there holding ALL the cards. AMD was faster at producing the 64-bit technology, released it first, and now have a head start on Intel developing the next new breakthrough. AMD is at a constant rate of releasing there products...while Intel seems to hold back, then JUMP forward, then hold back, then JUMP back in the game again. As far as comparing quality...i seriously doubt you tell chip quality by going home and sticking it in your desktop. You'd need a lab and alot of hard actual research to see any kind of descrepincy between the 2. something the average user (me ad you) can never do. We are all griping and complaining about such nit picky details...seriously, did you ever REGRET buying Intel over AMD or visa versa. what you ahve is what you have...it seems ALOT of people here seem to be saying " AMD. no Intel, well AMD is good too, but Intel is beter here, unless your using AMD here..." geez its such a pointless argument.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+ (2535MHz)
    ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0 (230*11)
    512MB OCZ-EL PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum (460MHz)
    FIC RADEON 9200 64MB 8X AGP
    http://www.bandbuilder.com/projektrevolution2004/index.php?ref_code=F53066[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2004
  9. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

this was a dicision i had to make when buying my computer, to get a intel p4 3.06 (was the speed out) or to get the amd athlon 64 3200+ and whe i did all the pricing it was cheaper to get the A64 3200+ .....and in all the benchmarks the athlon 64 beat the intel....and i have not had one complaint about it yet, its fast and everything, and i am running windows xp pro so i am waiting for the windows 63 bit edition, so really anyone with the athlon 64 wont see its real power until they use the AMD 64 with the windows 64 bit edition,

as far a quality, im surr if i got the intel p4 3.06 it would be working just as good so for me it came down to price.

i do know so people whos computer run very slow and its not their hdd. my sister has a p4 3.06 laptop a dell, and it runs like shit. mine comp tho is a custom comp.

Edit- this argument will go on forever about which is better "Intel Vs. AMD"!!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD athlon 64 3200+
    ATI 9800 pro all in wonder
    Memorex dual x format
    ps2 v10, Magic V 5K6[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2004
  10. Praetor

Well sorry to burst your bubble -- it isnt. And neither is the AMD one ... nor Apple chips but the venerable 8bit procs present in damn near every noncomputer device known to man ... they've been damn near perfected and virtually all the kinks have been ironed out. Of course this brings questions to an earlier post you made:
    Then the Pentium isnt the #1 chip anymore since it shares the spot with AMD?

And god I hate them for that.

Wow. *shock* WOW

Where do you 'hear' these things?

The Xeons cost bracket is the same as that of the A64 chips.

Werent you just bashing intel a few posts back when you said something about Intel's poor judgement on lack of a 64bit platform? *searches*
    Soon? Does Itanium ring a bell? :)

What's wrong with you 4W4K3??? LOL Count again ... a "lot" of people doing that? :p Heehee I dont see "a lot" heehee

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

lol my bad. more of like a very selective few say it alot...hows that sound? :)

12. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

what is a [bold]Athlon64 3000+ with HT Soc 754 Retail Box[/bold] in INTEL PENTIUM 4 terms
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2004
  13. Praetor

A non-intel chip that cant be "translated" (no sarcasm intended)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2004
  14. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

i just want a rough estimate performance wise [bold]PLEASE[/bold]

15. Praetor

For a rough estimate, they are roughly equal

16. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Ya what Praetor said..LOL

17. Praetor

As long as you know the rough estimate is really not that useful: I'd say something like the P4C-3.0Ghz give and take a bit. I hope it helps but you're comparison/translation there is kinda like trying to tranlsate a A-10 in terms of F15s ...cant really be done :S

18. Veeznutz

Veeznutz Member

Wow I am a Noob and this thread is the shit. I was thinking bout building a computer and have around $750 to spend. And if possible with a P4 either 2.8 gHz or 3.0. I am just not sure about what motherboard,ram, and other things I need are.

19. Hamboner

Hamboner Guest

Hi, Praetor and the rest. I just read this entire thread. For the last week I have been trying to research pc parts so I can build my own computer for the first time. I thought I knew enough about the specifications, components needed and compatibility, but I dont. I am so glad to have found this forum.
    I plan on using my new pc for everything, like most people. I spend a lot of time on Adobe and Macromedia software's (Photoshop, Illustrator, flash etc.) I also play Halo, Fifa etc. My sister does a lot of video and audio editing. I spend most of my day on the internet for work. I usually have everything running simultaneously. I am sick of slow machines and would like to concentrate on speed as much as possible. I have saved about $1500 but am willing to go up to $2000 (not including monitor, printer etc). Ofcourse if its cheaper I would be happier. I agree with you and think a step below the fastest products out there is almost just as good and much cheaper.
    I think I would like to stick with Intel on this machine. I would appreciate your help in finding components I should make my machine with. I would use your advice to build my research on. Thanx.

20. Praetor

Veeznutz
    Have a look at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/93097 ... got a couple systems in the lower price brackets for ya ... I'll say this though: you can and an Intel chip for that budget range but you'll be skimping out on a lot of stuff.

Hamboner
    I'm glad the thread was of use :) As for a spec, have a look at this:

MOBO
    - ASUS P4P800SE (http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800se/overview.htm)
    - $100USD

CPU
    - P4C-2.80
    - Your basic NorthwoodC chip with a lot of OC headroom and solid performance if you dont want o OC
    - $175USD

RAM
    - 1GB Corsair TwinX1024 -4400 (http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair...nx1024-4400.pdf )
    - You give up on timings 3-4-4-8 but timings arent really important for what 99% of consumers use their memory for anyways.... the raw Mhz is much more benificial when it comes to making the most of burst mode access to memory. These sticks are matched beforehand for Dual Channel applications and I'm sure you can push the memory much further than 3-4-4-8 if you wanted to
    - $340USD

HDD
    - Segate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA (http://www.seagate.com/cda/products...081,599,00.html)
    - A very solid performer and shockingly "cheap" for what i'd thought it to be. Use this drive for installing stuff to and keeping stuff that likes good solid transfer rates
    - $150USD

OPTICAL1
    - LiteOn 52x32x52
    - Argueably the best (affordable) CDRW drive available (although I'd tend to argue for the ASUS 523252 but those are harder to come across).
    - $35USD

OPTICAL2
    - Pioneer 107
    - Since you've got a "2-sheep" CD burner theres no need for the Plextor burner (which is expensive as hell)... this is the next best thing
    - $90USD

CASE
    - Cheming 601AE (http://www.chenming.com/)
    - A very solid case, used a lot -- for good reason. Comes with 400W Enermax PSU
    - $65USD

HSF
    - Thermaltake Polo735 (http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/...735/polo735.htm )
    - An excellent HSF complete with fan controller
    - $40USD

VIDEO
    - eVGA 6800GT 256MB ( http://www.evga.com/products/morein...=256-A8-N344-AX )
    - This is the midrange card for the new nVidia's 6800 line of chips. Lots of people will compare the 6800GT to the X800 and argue (when) the X800 beats this card, that the X800 is better. Sure it's better: but the X800 is the top end card and this is a medium end card. Personally I'm kinda surprised this is a 1-slot deal but yeah, enjoy the card and dont get involved in pissing contests. From a technical point the reason I chose this card was because (a) the card is clocked fast enough regardless of what people will tell you and (b) the inclusion of Pixel Shader 3.0, while not horribly a big deal, does add some life to the card
    - $400USD
    - Course if this is a tad rich for your blood, you can grab the 9800Pro for something in the ballpark of $200USD

SOUND
    - Soundblaster Audigy 2
    - Your basic run of the mill soundcard
    - $60USD

NET COST: $1455USD
    That should give you something to work with :)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.