1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the os on my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by 99masond, Feb 18, 2007.

1. 99masond

99masond Member

I have a laptop which came with windows media centre on it they did not give me a media centre disk but every time I reformat my drive windows media centre just seems to be there. But I recently upgraded to vista which left me a file called old windows if I delete that file does it mean I would not be able to get media centre back if I needed it. To do the reformat I put in a disk like normal could it be that media centre is on that disk and loads up without me knowing

2. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

It should be on a separate partition. Did you delete your entire partition table when you installed Vista? If not how big is it?, you can just leave it there. So when you want to go back to media center you can go back.

What do you mean by "To do the reformat I put in a disk like normal could it be that media centre is on that disk and loads up without me knowing" Do you have a xp disc with media center on it or do you have a media center disk?

3. 99masond

99masond Member

How do I know if there is another partition on the disk They did not give me a disk for the os just one I need to put in when I was planning to reformat

4. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

ok, they just gave you a 'restore' disk for all the programs and stuff. Do you have a bootable windows disk? A quick and easy way is to boot from your XP CD or any windows disk. Then you can look at your table. The partition Im talking about is really small.

Im not sure if you have to have that partition AND the disk or JUST the disk to install media center. Do you have Vista on there now? What is in that folder called 'old windows'?