1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Perfect Codec Package

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by popol24, Mar 9, 2007.

1. popol24

popol24 Member

Ok guys, i've browsed through the codec packages, but i'm still having a hard time deciding which to download and install. the one i have in mind is the:

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack v1.67

i just want to know if this pack is easy to uninstall (i.e. it does a full uninstallation, leaving nothing behind) and plays .ogm and .mkv files.

also, i want to know what's the best video conversion program there is. i used to have River Past Video Converter, but it seems to produce not so great results. i mainly want to convert any video file type to .3GP files. Cheers!!!

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

For your codec problem, I'd strongly recommend against any codec packs, as codec pack is an equivalent to shooting a fly with a shotgun. For better alternatives and to fully understand the issue, I'd recommend reading up something about codecs and also for couple of decent recommendations for alternatives found in here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_avi.cfm

3. popol24

popol24 Member

woah, i wasn't expecting the big boss of AD to reply to this thread lol, but thanks for the warning and so as a result, i haven't installed any codec packs (although i did try installing the one i mentioned above, but it said i needed the previous version, and when i did install the previous one, it said the file is corrupted, so i said, "stuff this, i won't install anything til i heard from the AD guys"). I have used VLC before, so i might just stick with that for the time being (i didn't really like how it looked so i ditched it lol, maybe i can download skins for it, i just don't know where?). My first preference was the good old BSplayer (I just like how it looks) so i might just use the ffdshow codec combined with it if VLC decided to go all retarded on me. thank for the guide tho, a real eye opener, recommended for guys like me (newbs, that is lol)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  4. dRD

:) If you go back time in this forum, I used to reply to pretty much every single forum poster. Nowadays I'd still love to do that, but my time is more limited than what it was 5yrs ago -- and we get "slightly" more messages per day as well (~2000-3000/d).

Now that you use FFDSHOW (you might need to install an occassional codec to support it in case you like to test out ancient videos from Net -- FFDSHOW handles pretty much everything that has been invented since 2002 or so, but some older stuff is ignored by it) you're pretty free to choose the player you wish to use. If you have "issues" with VLC's look/feel, I might recommend testing Media Player Classic as well (as always, you can find it from our software section) -- its open source and has quite neat feature set (zooming, TV out support, etc have been made pretty well).

5. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

FYI, I'd stay away from BSPlayer. It now includes spyware, as of, I think, version 2 and up. They have an older, non-spyware version at http://oldversion.com

6. dRD

Ouch, why did you do that?-) I always feel slightly abused when people link to sites other than ours ;-) Nah, just joking :) Anyway, we host old versions of all our software on our site, the last BSPlayer version with no spyware:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/bsplayer.cfm/v1_37_826

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  7. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Sorry, ya know I seriously didn't think to check that! :) I always think of aD having the latest versions, but it's good to know the older stuff is still available here. I hate it when developers ruin a perfectly good piece of software!

8. popol24

popol24 Member

thanks for the word of caution regarding the BSplayer. luckily, i haven't installed the latest version lol been using vlc lately. i will download the older version tho for the BSplayer and thanks for the link! i've been trying to find older versions of certain programs but can't seem to find it cos everytime i search for a program (in AD) it returns the latest ones. Maybe i need to search harder lol. cheers

p.s. i'm finally a juniour member! yay! lol

another p.s. i tried searching for a random program and it did return the latest version. But... i scrolled down and on the right panel, and there, were the older versions listed lol by the way, AD rocks =)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007