1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Positive Thinking Thread,Post your Quotes,Good Deeds,Life Stories etc

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by aabbccdd, Aug 27, 2006.

1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

being the state of negetive comments with a couple threads in the SV i thought i would start a thread on the positive things going on in here and in life post your thoughts,Quotes,good deeds etc. here... this one crowy posted in the bitch thread so heres a start.

'Mirrors reflect what's on the outside, our imagination reflects us.'

A great note for all to read it will take just 37 seconds to read this and
    change your thinking.

Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room. One man was
    allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the
    fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room's only window. The other
    man had to spend all his time flat on his back. The men talked for hours on
    end. They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their
    involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation.

Every afternoon when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he
    would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could
    see outside the window. The man in the other bed began to live for those
    one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all
    the activity and colour of the world outside.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on
    the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm
    in arm amidst flowers of every colour and a fine view of the city skyline
    could be seen in the distance.

As the man by the window described all this in exquisite detail, the man on
    the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine the picturesque
    scene.

One warm afternoon the man by the window described a parade passing by.
    Although the other man couldn't hear the band - he could see it. In his
    mind's eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive
    words.

Days and weeks passed. One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water
    for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window,
    who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened and called the
    hospital attendants to take the body away.

As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved
    next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after
    making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone.

Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first
    look at the real world outside. He strained to slowly turn to look out the
    window beside the bed.

It faced a blank wall. The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his
    deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this
    window. The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see
    the wall. She said, "Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you."

Epilogue:

There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own
    situations. Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is
    doubled.

If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money
    can't buy.

"Today is a gift, that's why it is called the present."

[bold] Thank You Crowy [/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2006
  2. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Hey aabbccdd, I decided that I would post on something postive for me that is going on. Well I currently am getting my Real Estate License and the support from my fellow co-workers (some whom I have known sense my childhood) as well as my parents is really helping push though the schooling (its not real hard, its just kind of boring) as well as driving me to put 100% into working and getting started.

It made me realize that as small as the support may seem to outsiders it really does make a difference.

So I guess in summary its that no matter how small of a boost it may seem to someone, it can really make a great positive impact on someone if you give postive support when they are going though the daily things in life.

Peace,

Pop Smith

3. crowy

crowy Guest

@Pop_Smith,
    It's amazing how a "thankyou" or "well done" or "your doing a fantastic job encourages you.To many employers are to quick to find there workers faults yet never take the time to say "thanks for a job well done".

Hope this brightens everyone's day a little:

[​IMG]

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

great Pop_Smith a positive attitude will go a long way .keep your head up work hard and you will make it

5. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I've got lots of little stories like this. I'll try and post them often.

That's Why I Am Here

My children have always been involved in 4-H. Heavily into the animal divisions, with a few other projects, they took their county fair presentations very seriously. I was a professional dog trainer and handler and one year, my two youngest children entered our registered dogs in the Beginner Obedience class. My fourteen-year-old son, Jeremy, wanted to do something with the dogs too, but he was very independent and didn't want something that everyone else was doing. He came to me in the spring, several months before fair, and said, “I’ve decided to make my dog project count." He proceeded to show me his detailed plan for his Citizenship project, providing canine therapy dog visits to local nursing homes.

In the north central portion of Minnesota where we lived, this was an unheard of concept. Jeremy told me he had already done some of the legwork by asking his brother, sister, and two members of the 4-H club to come along and assist. What he needed from me most was to choose the appropriate dogs and teach the handlers how to present a dog to an elderly and perhaps bedridden person. We contacted several nursing homes and finally found one that agreed to allow our therapy dogs to visit. Jeremy called his buddy 4-Hers and set up a training schedule. When all five kids were comfortable presenting the dogs, we made an appointment with the nursing home.

The first day we visited, I went along as the driver, photographer and supervisor. We went from room to room, sharing our smaller trained therapy dogs and puppies with as many as possible. Each child carried a dog and a towel to place on the bed in case someone wanted the dog there. We were a hit! The joy these folks exhibited was genuine and wonderful. They all asked us to visit again.

On our next outings, we left earlier so we could visit more residents. Jeremy enjoyed watching people’s faces light up as we entered a room, but there seemed to be something disturbing him. I asked if he was having a problem with the project. He became solemn. “I love coming here but I want to make an even bigger difference. I’m not sure how, but I know there is something more I can do.”

Each time we visited, the residents anticipated it with greater enthusiasm. Some even had family members bring in photos of their own dogs to share with us. We listened to stories about their pets, their families, and their lives when they were young. Each sat constantly petting one of the dogs, gaining the comfort and unconditional love only an animal can give so freely.

One day we ventured into an area we hadn’t been to before. As a nurse’s aide led the way, we came upon several rooms that were quieter than most and not decorated. The aide motioned for us to continue following her to the residents who requested visits further down the hall. Jeremy stopped and peered into one of the rooms. The aide reprimanded, “There is no use going into that room; that lady hasn’t moved or spoken in months. She is unresponsive and pretty much alone.”

Jeremy looked at her and then at the French bulldog he held in his arms. Calmly he replied, “That’s why I am here.” He proceeded into the room and stood hesitantly. The woman was ghostly white and showed no signs of life. She lay prone and didn’t move so much as her eyes when we entered. Jeremy took a deep breath and moved to the side of the bed. “My name is Jeremy and I am here with my therapy dogs. I brought a dog to see you. Since you can’t come to see the dog, I’d like to place it on your bed. I have a towel so no hair will get on your blankets.”

The woman did not move. Jeremy looked to me for approval. I nodded. He moved to the side of the bed where her arm was exposed and placed the towel on the bedspread. While all this was happening, the aide left to get a nurse. By the time Jeremy was ready to put the dog beside the woman, two nurses and the aide were in the doorway. As one began to tell me we were wasting our time, I raised my hand to silence her. She huffed, but remained quiet.

Jeremy placed the dog against the woman’s arm. He spoke softly, “She won’t hurt you. She came here just to see you.” As he spoke, the woman’s head shifted slightly. The glaze in her eyes seemed to disappear. Jeremy allowed the dog to nestle in close. The woman raised a weak arm and placed it on the dog’s back. Although she had no words, she began to make sounds. Tears brimmed her eyes as she moved her hand along the hair. The nurses rushed to the bedside and began pressing the nurse call button. More people rushed into the room. There was not a dry eye in the group. Jeremy looked at the aide and reiterated, “This is why I am here.” Then he looked at me, tears flowing unashamedly down his face and he said, “I made a difference.” I hugged him and acknowledged that he certainly had. When it was time to leave, Jeremy gathered up the dog and the towel and said to the woman, “Thanks for letting us come into your room and into your life.” She smiled at him and touched his arm.

Jeremy received the highest award for his Citizenship project, and went on to the state level where he earned Grand Champion. But for Jeremy, the ribbons were nothing compared to his biggest award: the touch of a hand and the smile from a woman who was said to be a waste of time.

--Loretta Emmons

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

dolphin2 , thats a great story

Ive always said if your feeling down or sorry for yourself just go out and help someone in need or do a good deed. its help you and everyone in the process.

i really believe staying positive as you can in life is very beneficial. for instanct my dad had lung cancer went though treatment stayed positive, and put it in gods hands and his now cancer free !!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2006
  7. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

That's really great news about your Dad!

That's not my story. I just thought it fit and posted it. As I said, I've got a bunch of stories that will fit this topic. All written by different people. I'll try to remember to post one every couple of days.

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

great lets keep this rolling !!!

9. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Here's another for now:

The Water

It was one of the hottest days of the dry season. We had not seen rain in almost a month. The crops were dying. Cows had stopped giving milk. The creeks and streams were long gone back into the Earth. It was a dry season that would bankrupt several farmers before it was through.

Every day, my husband and his brothers would go about the arduous process of trying to get water to the fields. Lately this process had involved taking a truck to the local water rendering plant and filling it up with water. But severe rationing had cut everyone off. If we didn't see some rain soon, we would lose everything.

It was on this day that I learned the true lesson of sharing and witnessed the only miracle I have seen with my own eyes. I was in the kitchen making lunch for my husband and his brothers when I saw my six-year-old son, Billy, walking toward the woods. He wasn't walking with the usual carefree abandon of a youth, but with a serious purpose. I could only see his back.

He was obviously walking with a great effort, trying to be as still as possible.

Minutes after he disappeared into the woods, he came running out again, toward the house. I went back to making sandwiches, thinking that whatever task he had been doing was completed.

Moments later, however, he was once again walking in that slow purposeful stride toward the woods. This activity went on for an hour: walk carefully to the woods, run back to the house. Finally, I couldn't take it any longer and I crept out of the house and followed him on his journey (being very careful not to be seen, as he was obviously doing important work and didn't need his mommy checking up on him).

He was cupping both hands in front of him as he walked, being very careful not to spill the water he held in them, maybe two or three tablespoons were held in his tiny hands. I sneaked close as he went into the woods.

Branches and thorns slapped his little face, but he did not try to avoid them. He had a much higher purpose.

As I leaned in to spy on him, I saw the most amazing site. Several large deer loomed in front of him. Billy walked right up to them. I almost screamed for him to get away. A huge buck with elaborate antlers was dangerously close. But the buck did not threaten him. He didn't even move as Billy knelt down. And I saw a tiny fawn laying on the ground, obviously suffering from dehydration and heat exhaustion, lift its head with great effort to lap up the water cupped in my beautiful boy's hand.

When the water was gone, Billy jumped up to run back to the house and I hid behind a tree. I followed him back to the house to a spigot to which we had shut off the water. Billy opened it all the way up and a small trickle began to creep out. He knelt there, letting the drip, drip slowly fill up his makeshift "cup," as the sun beat down on his little back. And it came clear to me: The trouble he had gotten into for playing with the hose the week before. The lecture he had received about the importance of not wasting water. The reason he didn't ask me to help him.

It took almost twenty minutes for the drops to fill his hands. When he stood up and began the trek back, I was there in front of him. His little eyes just filled with tears. "I'm not wasting," was all he said.

As he began his walk, I joined him with a small pot of water from the kitchen. I let him tend to the fawn. I stayed away. It was his job. I stood on the edge of the woods watching the most beautiful heart I have ever known working so hard to save another life. As the tears that rolled down my face began to hit the ground, they were suddenly joined by other drops, and more drops, and more. I looked up at the sky. It was as if God, himself, was weeping with pride.

Some will probably say that this was all just a huge coincidence. That miracles don't really exist. That it was bound to rain sometime. And I can't argue with that. I'm not going to try. All I can say is that the rain that came that day saved our farm, just like the actions of one little boy saved another.

I don't know if anyone will read this, but I had to send it out. To honor the memory of my beautiful Billy, who was taken from me much too soon.

But not before showing me the true face of God, in a little, sunburned body.

-- Author Unknown

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Ive always believed theres a special connection between animals and children.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2006
  11. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I think so too. Moreso with handicaped, it seems. It's like the animals understand.

We need to spread the word out about this thread. Get more people intersted in posting stories. Soooo..... tell all you know at AfterDawn!

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

this is good ...

I Think I Can
    If you think you are beaten you are;
    If you think you dare not, you don't;
    If you want to win but think you can't;
    It's almost a cinch you won't.

If you think you'll lose you're lost;
    For out of the world we find
    Success begins with a fellow's will;
    It's all in a state of mind.

Life's battles don't always go
    To the stronger and faster man,
    But sooner or later the man who wins
    Is the man who thinks he can.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2006
  13. crowy

crowy Guest

aabbccdd,Congrats on the thread dude,looks like your on a winner!!
    Regards,Crowy.

14. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Consider This

After Fred Astaire’s first screen test, the memo from the testing director of MGM, dated 1933, said, “Can’t act! Slightly Bald! Can dance a little!” Astaire kept that memo over the fireplace in his Beverly Hills home.

An expert said of Vince Lombardi, “He possesses minimal football knowledge. Lacks Motivation.”

Socrates was called, “An immoral corrupter of youth.”

When Peter J. Daniel was in the fourth grade, his teacher, Mrs. Phillips, constantly said, “Peter J. Daniel, you’re no good, you’re a bad apple and you’re never going to amount to anything.” Peter was totally illiterate until he was 26. A friend stayed up with him all night and read him a copy of Think and Grow Rich. Now he owns the street corners he used to fight on and just published his latest book, Mrs. Phillips, You Were Wrong.

Louisa May Alcott, the author of Little Women, was encouraged to find work as a servant or seamstress by her family.

Beethoven handled the violin awkwardly and preferred playing his own compositions instead of improving his technique. His teacher called him hopeless as a composer.

The parents of the famous opera singer Enrico Caruso wanted him to be an engineer. His teachers said he had no voice at all and could not sing.

Charles Darwin, father of the Theory of Evolution, gave up a medical career and was told by his father, “You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat catching.” In his autobiography, Darwin wrote, “I was considered by my father, a very ordinary boy, rather below the common standard in intellect."

Walt Disney was fired by a newspaper editor for lack of ideas. Walt Disney also went bankrupt several times before he built Disneyland.

Thomas Edison’s teachers said he was too stupid to learn anything.

Albert Einstein did not speak until he was four years old and didn’t read until he was seven. His teacher described him as “mentally slow, unsociable and adrift forever in his foolish dreams.” He was expelled and refused admittance to Zurich Polytechnic School.

Louis Pasteur was only a mediocre pupil in undergraduate studies and ranked 15 out of 22 in chemistry.

Isaac Newton did very poorly in grade school.

The sculptor Rodin’s father said, “I have an idiot for a son.” Described as the worst pupil in the school, Rodin failed three times to secure admittance to the school of art. His uncle called him uneducable.

Leo Tolstoy, author of War and Peace, flunked out of college. He was described as “both unable and unwilling to learn.”

Playwright Tennessee Williams was enraged when his play, Me, Vasha was not chosen in a class competition at Washington University where he was enrolled in English XVI. The teacher recalled that Williams denounced the judges’ choices and their intelligence.

F. W. Woolworth’s employers at the dry goods store said he had not enough sense to wait upon customers.

Henry Ford failed and went broke five times before he finally succeeded.

Babe Ruth, considered by sports historians to be the greatest athlete of all time and famous for setting the home run record, also holds the record for strikeouts.

Winston Churchill failed sixth grade. He did not become Prime Minister of England until he was 62, and then only after a lifetime of defeats and setbacks. His greatest contributions came when he was a “senior citizen.”

Eighteen publishers turned down Richard Bach’s Jonathan Livingston Seagull, before Macmillan finally published it in 1970. By 1975 it had sold more than seven million copies in the U.S. alone.

Richard Hooker worked for seven years on his humorous war novel, M*A*S*H, only to have it rejected by 21 publishers before Morrow decided to publish it. It became a runaway bestseller, spawning a blockbusting movie and highly successful television series.

--Jack Canfield and Mark V. Hansen

15. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

I belive in god!!!!!! what better gift or postive things than that!!
    EDIT: actully that is the ONLY thing that's postive about my life.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

dolphin2 good post , goes to prove what positive thinking can achieve

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i like this one

The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance, and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives. -Albert Einstein

18. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Today's Recipe- Preserving Children

1 large grassy field
    6 children-all sizes
    3 small dogs
    a narrow strip, a brook (pebbly if possible)
    a blue sky
    a hot sun
    Flowers

Mix children with dogs and then empty into field, stirring constantly. Sprinkle field with flowers. Pour gently over pebbles in the shallow brook. Cover all with deep blue sky and bake in the hot sun. When children are browned, they may be removed and placed in a cool tub.

~ Author Unknown

19. antomic

antomic Regular member

Ok i moved this from my other thread...aabbccdd beat me to it. Oh well Enjoy :)
    [​IMG]
    the purpose of this thread is to promote relaxation and relieve the burns of the wild, wild web. So please, pick a calm tune from the selection and just enjoy life with others.....relax
    the following sections are:
    1.rules
    2.relaxing pics
    3.calm tunes

section 1: RULES
    just some small rules. I cant really enforce them, but i hope you guys will follow them.
    first rule:this is a relaxing thread, if you want to bitch, go to Ireland's forum..not this one. It spoils the atmosphere im trying to set up.
    second rule: please try to stay ontopic here. Just talk about relaxing things (for example, your good dreams, nice experiences, etc..Post some relaxing music, too if you want.
    third rule: this is a calm thread, not a happiness thread, although they are both quite the same please post that in aabbccdd's forum. (for example, you want to scream to the world how happy you are that you bought a brand spanking new TV...thats great but do it in the other threads not here,!)
    fourth rule: think of this as a library and you are not allowed to scream. Same here No CAPS, please? well, thats that. On to the rest of the stuff. Enjoy :)

Section 2 Relaxing pics..
    these are just some that i found. If you would like to put one up, by all means go ahead. They can be humourous, just keep it calm.
    here are my pics
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Section 3 Calm tunes..
    These songs are to help you calm down. Listen to them while your posting, or just lie down a while. Whatever you want.

Bittersweet Symphony (my favorite) http://www.wattsbunker.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/bittersweetsymphony.mp3
    Beethoven (also my favorite) http://jnjmuse.cnei.or.kr/musicbox/beetho9_3rd_mov.mp3
    mozart http://www.mallenfence.com/music/mozart.mp3

enjoy. Hope this makes you guys feel better

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

antomic, good addition thumbs up !!