1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Positive Thinking Thread,Post your Quotes,Good Deeds,Life Stories etc

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by aabbccdd, Aug 27, 2006.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Positive Thinking Overcoming Stress

Stress is the way you react - both positive and negative, both physically and emotionally to change.
    Some of the most common things that a young person tends to stress over include Exams, Tests, Relationship break-ups, Family problems and or school or uni difficulties. Stress can be good - it can be an adrenalin rush that keeps our bodies functioning but Ongoing stress can affect your health and well-being, Therefore you should....

LEARN TO MANAGE STRESS AND GAIN CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE!

Stress symptoms include:
    Having trouble concentrating, having trouble making decisions, not speaking clearly, tightness of muscles, feeling tired, feeling like you are rushed, feeling flustered, headaches, sweating & nausea, lack of appetite, disturbed sleep, feeling irritable or bad tempered, feeling very emotional, feel that others are to blame & feel that others "dont care"

Unresolved Stress can lead to:
    Liver disease, Heart Disease, Backache, Headaches, Obesity, Diabeties, Depression, Insomnia, Heat Attack, Stroke, Lowered Immunity, Inability to Concentrate, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and an increased risk of accidents.

BREAKING THE STRESS CYCLE

1. Recognise that you are stressed
    Sometimes people dont even realise that they are stressed. Others know deep down but deny it. You must say to yourself I am Stressed and I want to do something about it!

2. Get to know what gets you stressed

Take notice of when, where and why you feel stressed

3. Reduce things that make you stressed

If work makes you stressed ask for less hours, If homework makes you stressed have a break, If your friends make you stressed have some time out

4. Increase Relaxation and Positive Activities

Do things that make yourself feel good or relaxed

There are many ways to deal with and manage stress:

BECOME ORGANISED
    Make a study timetable and use a diary. If you have a lot of things to do - you may find it usefull to write a list and mark them off as you do them

HAVE A BREAK

Make sure you have time to relax. Take up yoga, Get a massage, Have a nap. During study, have a break every now and again - watch some tv, listen to music or give a friend a call.

SMILE

Smiling not only makes you look good but it can also have a huge affect on your mood. As they say "Smile and the whole world will smile back at you"

PAMPER YOURSELF

Do something for yourself that you enjoy or that makes you feel good. Take a long bubble bath or go for a long walk.

GET MOVING

Dont make excuses! remember that exercise improves your wellbeing so get out there. Even just a 15 min walk twice a week will help.

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

kind words? naaahhhh...i'm just a suck-up. :)

3. ireland

ireland Active member

1923, Who Was:

1. President of the largest steel company?

2. President of the largest gas company?

3. President of the New York Stock Exchange?

4. Greatest wheat speculator?

5. President of the Bank of International Settlement?

6. Great Bear of Wall Street?

These men were considered some of the worlds most successful of their days.

Now, 83 YEARS LATER the history book asks us,if we know What ultimately became of them.

The Answers:

1. The president of the largest steel company.

Charles Schwab- died a pauper.

2. The president of the largest gas company

Edward Hopson-went insane.

3. The president of the NYSE

Richard Whitney- was released from prison to die at home.

4. The greatest wheat speculator

Arthur Cooger- died abroad, penniless.

5. The president of the Bank of International Settlement-

Shot himself.

6. The Great Bear o f Wall Street

Jesse Livermore- also committed suicide.

>However<

In that same year 1923 the PGA Champion and the winner of the most important golf tournament the US OPEN was Gene Sarazen.

What became of him?

He played golf until he was 92 - died in 1999 at the age of 95 - He was financially secure at the time of his death.

The Moral, Screw work.Play golf.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yup , you can't take it with you so might as well enjoy it here on this earth lol

5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well let me positivly say. im glad all you good people are her to help out lost sould like myself...without the help of the great people here at AD i would still be in the dark on how to burn a dvd...

just me thanking everyone that helps out here...

good day
    Paul Harvey...

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Cincyrob wrote:
    ...without the help of the great people here at AD, I still be trying to write over a non-rewritable DVD! (I even returned a new and perfectly good HP because it refused to do the impossible LOL!)

I was such a techno-dunce when I started here and while I'm not the most computer savvy guy in the world, home theater is my true love and hobby and I, too, learnt it all here.

Also a thank you from moi to a missed by all member who got me started really understanding how to really do home theater properly. And a thank you also to ddp and scuba-pete for walking me through changing a hard drive after spending three hours of frustration only to realize that I had it in backwards, their advice made it go like a breeze! What ever happened to scuba pete anyway?) And a thank you to my friend Ireland who helped me with digital cameras, graphics software, copying software and the patience when teaching me to use it, the tutorials to help me with scanning and photoshop techniques and the list goes on ...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

he has health problems (heart) so I'm not sure how his doing now

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  9. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

gurnard talked to him in the spring and all was well. The last time I talked to him, about this time last year, he was restarting his underwater salvage business. He has since to return my calls or emails.

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

It's unfortunate that he hasn't gotten back to you but at least there's a glimmer of good news in there.

@all ... a similar question about arniebear ... he came back for a bit after his heart surgery only to disappear again. Anyone received word on him? I rather miss that guy.

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

gerry, you are welcome. teach & learn

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Yes i was thinking about Pete also. i will give him a PM and see how he is guys

13. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Wasn't much on TV so rented a movie. The one I rented I figured was
    a little piece of fluff, but had seen almost everything else I
    thought was any good.
    The movie I rented was Evan Almighty. If you have children this is
    one I would highly recommend. The moral of the movie at the end is:
    How do you save the world? By one random act of kindness at a time.
    Know someone will say this belongs in the movie thread, but it has
    such a positive message that I thought it belonged here.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah i got the movie was going to watch it this weekend

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Its all in the Choice

John is the kind of guy you love to hate. He is always in a good mood and always has something positive to say. When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, 'If I were any better, I would be twins!'

He was a natural motivator.

If an employee was having a bad day, John was there telling the employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.

Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up and asked him, 'I don't get it!

You can't be a positive person all of the time. How do you do it?'

He replied, 'Each morning I wake up and say to myself, you have two choices today. You can choose to be in a good mood or ... you can choose to be in a bad mood

I choose to be in a good mood.'

Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or...I can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it.

Every time someone comes to m e complaining, I can choose to accept their complaining or... I can point out the positive side of life. I choose the positive side of life.

'Yeah, right, it's not that easy,' I protested.

'Yes, it is,' he said. 'Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people affect your mood.

You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line: It's your choice how you live your life.'

I reflected on what he said. Soon hereafter, I left the Tower Industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but I often thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to it.

Several years later, I heard that he was involved in a serious accident, falling some 60 feet from a communications tower.

After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, he was released from the hospital with rods placed in his back.

I saw him about six months after the accident.

When I asked him how he was, he replied, 'If I were any better, I'd be twins...Wanna see my scars?'

I declined to see his wounds, but I did ask him what had gone through his mind as the accident took place.

'The first thing that went through my mind was the well-being of my soon-to-be born daughter,' he replied. 'Then, as I lay on the ground, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live or...I could choose to die. I chose to live.'

'Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?' I asked

He continued, 'the paramedics were great.

They kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when they wheeled me into the ER and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses, I got really scared. In their eyes, I read 'he's a dead man.' I knew I needed to take action.'

'What did you do?' I asked.

'Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me,' said John 'She asked if I was allergic to anything 'Yes, I replied! The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Gravity.'

Over their laughter, I told them, 'I am choosing to live. Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead.'

He lived, thanks to the skill of his doctors, but also because of his amazing attitude... I learned from him that every day we have the choice to live fully.

Attitude, after all, is everything .

After all, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.