1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the sad state of Afterdawn

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by phillyj, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emachine

emachine Guest

How do you measure importance? What once was or what now is? The 1 console board is practically more post and threads than the whole site put together!! I'm not saying get rid of the media threads. Just sorta have less. And more where the traffic is. If something happens and the consoles are not bringing enough people/enough posts to have more boards, then just change back. Its not like once you change its permanent or something.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i measure importance by the maturity of forums/posts/posters, and (i know i'm a scratched record) but the console forums don't qualify for any of those 3 things, in the main. All they do is bring in traffic, and again, my problem is the sheer amount of unnecessary traffic, it's like kindergarten; i don't know of any sites that have to provide as much daycare as we do

3. ireland

ireland Active member

emachine,your wrong the media forms has more posts and threads..

as below

Consoles
    PS2 - General discussion
    Posts 122297
    Threads 18065

DVD±R discussion
    DVD±R for newbies
    posts 169193
    Threads 28832

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I really think you are missing the point. Yes the conolse boards get more "traffic" and "posts", but most of those "posts" (and people will back me up on this if need be) are consisting of "lol", "hah you suck" etc etc.

I am not saying all posters in the consoles are stupid nonsense posters, but a vast majority are.
    Also, as far as I am aware, aD is a tech site, that has expanded to accomodate for the growing console areas. I fail to see what can't be answered in the boards at present; more would only confuse people IMO.

What do you mean by...
    ...there is one dvd media thread, and 4 CD related media threads.
    That's adequate, but can't be lessened.

I fail to see where you are coming form with this...

5. emachine

emachine Guest

Are you kidding me what in the world is unnecessary traffic!?!-(Don't take that as flaming.) I mean traffic is what makes a website, gives money to the sponsors. Pays for the hosting. I don't get it. Also I really believe after dawn would die quickly if you got rid of the console forums. But can you say the same if you got rid of the media threads?

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Nah, he's not kidding you. What creaky was referring to is all the pointless fanboys and flamers etc.

Also, you can rest assured that aD won't die if the console forums go; in fact i think many members will return when they hear the good news.

7. emachine

emachine Guest

I said practically how about add all the console forums up and everything else. See what you get?

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yeah, but it as allready been stated what makes up most of those console posts.
    Flaming,
    Spamming,
    Faliure to read stickies,
    Bla bla bla...

9. creaky

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  10. emachine

emachine Guest

I don't there is as many dumb spam posts as you think in the console threads.

Ok this is what I would propose.

Starting from the top
    Combine Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
    Combine HDTV and HDTV displays.

Keep DVD-shrink and NERO.
    Make new board called Other dvd software (or something similar)

Next section looks ok.

Digital Video Discussion
    Combine Linux and Mac.

Next section looks fine.

Home Theater
    Combine everything except Dvd recorders and Dvd Players.

General Discussion
    Fine

Pc Hardware
    Combine DVD-R and Dvd Rom

Consoles
    DS-leave untouched
    Gamecube-Break up into 2 threads
    Wii and Ps3-leave the same until we get alot of mod talk then brake them up similar to the xbox 1 layout.
    Ps2 and xbox look good.
    Psp break up into 2 or 3.
    Xbox 360 break up into xbox layout.

Software Operating systems and more
    Combine Mac and linux.

Mobile Devices
    combine Palm and Pocket PC
    Get rid of Sony and Samsung boards. Use general discussion.

Mp3lizard
    assuming its advertising so leave untouched.

11. creaky

@emachine - you're failing to see the importance of the more mature forums here. This site i believe is or certainly was primarily a DVD-related site, the console forums are an addition to the other stuff.
    So you (being a console favouring young person), want less importance placed on the more mature/important forums and more importance placed on console stuff. hmmm....

12. emachine

emachine Guest

You don't understand. I'm not favouring one way or the other. Yes I am console forum user. But I made that list by posts and threads. You see if a forum has a low post count its not helping anyone by keeping it around. Becuase knowone will look in there and find the person needing help. SO if you combine them it will make about double the posts (which is enough to keep most active without overdoing it like the console forums) then you get the opposite when there is not enough forums you can't get help because it gets bumbed to the 4 page in 2 hours. Do you understand?

Are you calling me a idiotic "senior member" That says one liners! I speak better than most the older members on this site.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2006
  13. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

We feel that both sides, console and digital video can live in harmony. Obvious question is that what bothers people who only use console forums to our site to have other forums as well -- and vice versa. Its not that we exactly force anyone to go through all the forum rooms we have :)

In the future, I expect to see us to allow users to customize the forum lists on our site, so they can "get rid" of the forum rooms they want when they log in. But that wont happen overnight, I can promise that...

Anyway, blank media analysis, DVD encoding, digital audio ripping, console backups, HDTV display discussion, digital STB questions and all that fit under our umbrella of "digital entertainment -- from the technology point-of-view". So, tolerate and behave. All of you :)

14. emachine

emachine Guest

Yes Harmony is great. I'm just trying to make it more useable. I don't want to get rid of any boards. I just want it easier to get questions asked. Such as psp. Its way to full and people that have a decent question may ask more than once because it gets buried so quickly. But than theres the PVR devices. I have been trying to get an answer in there for a week or so. And have only got one other post. So I'm just trying to make the site over all more enjoyable.

15. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I posted a thread like this a long time ago. Lol, you'll get over it. Good things can't last forever, all you can do is try and make it better. =D

16. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

gah! why is it that I always miss the interesting threads?

AD is in no way in a "sad state" grrrrrr.
    AD is great, just because you never got helped one particular thing does not mean everyone is not helped, and I don't think everyone decides to open a thread like this either grrrrr.

**boohoo**My thread has not been answered, it has been five whole minutes since I posted it. grrrrrrrr.

**AfterDawn is ***cr@p*** because the other members 'never' reply, has it ever occured to you not everyone has the answers to your probs?
    I saw Rippers post with that link,(http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/404097) it seems to have many replys, if that is the thread you are banging on about** grrrrrrrrr.

Peace, BluRay.

17. phillyj

phillyj Member

ok. this is crazy. everyones making lots of good comments but i don get why there is complaint b/c of "babysitting". this is a huge site (a good thing)and therefore people will find both good and bad things about this site.
    if AD is full of immature people then get of the "all other topics,Safety valve, Resource center,News comments,AfterDawn feedback & suggestions" maybe we shouldn't complain when we see something that we believe is lacking or excessive. AD is the biggest forum i have been on and it is impressive that much of the time things are smooth but AD is not perfect. I know the admins have a tuff time policing this place and jus as in real life, there can be bad karma floating around. afterall it is best to try to listen to your members b/c we are the ones that allow the site to survive.

good point. the console attracts the majority but the real reason of afterdawn is dvd (my reason for being here). theres 6 different sections for jus PS2. A little excessive i think.

the main problem of AD is that there are so many people but they are concentrated in areas like the console section. those who need help in the dvd/cd areas dont get what they need. i've seen many unanswered topics b/c many of our members cant help them out. AD is so varied, maybe too much. i doubt that most of the console guys/gals could help out in a ratdvd section unless they personnaly use that stuff. on many other forums the people generally share much of the same knowledge. for example, im on a car forum but cars are basically the same, so most of the topics are relevant to anything else. but AD ranges from DVD authoring, transcoding...to linux and console games...to cell phones. it seems to me that the large amount of the people here use just a certain section.

thats my 2 cents.

18. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

Seriously, they should consider creating a separate section for 'Unanswared Problems'!!!

19. creaky

20. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

Hmm, why didn't I notice that before?

EDIT: LoL, I really meant 'unanswared PROBLEMS', not just any thread. Coz I don't think everyone posts on aD just for help.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.