1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Stone Ages - Yet another problem with encoding

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Lumbastio, Sep 15, 2005.

1. xentrix

xentrix Member

Could this be a strange bug in the program as I have now used a few methods of ripping the dvd in various modes. Seriously, a ripped and perfectly good iso should not be a problem?

While mentioned above, having to wait along time and see the program finish at 100% only to give out a corrupted file structure does indeed lead to urges of unabaited PC bashing.

While my burned dvd plays back great, I was unable to import the finished Video files (Created with DVD Rebuilder) into dvd shrink, be it in file or in ISO mode. Boo Hoo (non dvd compliance etc..Gee my dvd standalones must be very forgiving)

I am dissapointed to learn that shrink "processes" even with zero compression. Now im new to dvd rebuilder this error at the end really annoys me, so for now I have chosen to spilt the disc.
    I must try to learn more about dvd rebuilder.

Can I edit out any unwanted credits and produce a 1:1 rip with rebuilder? I think we all long for the day of cheap DL media.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I just backed up Million Dollar Baby about a week ago with DVD-RB RC 5.1 and didn't get any errors. I also pre-processed with Remake Pro 3.1.3 to remove everything but the main menu, language menu, chapter menus, and movie. I ripped in File mode like I do with almost everything.

3. xentrix

xentrix Member

Hi vurbal,

I have no experience with Remake Pro. You obviously know your stuff. My experience is all great except at 100% when dvd rebuilder gives a vob error message resulting in a bad dvd structure. I use one click mode, movie and menu only mode - Is this the same process as remake pro? - All i want is the film & menu.

I am using a mounted image file as the source disc (Now testing with another movie) so we'll see how it goes.

4. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

Now this is weird. xentrix got the same error even without using Remake. Is it really possible that the bug is inside RB?
    Anyway, I still got the same error so I will try to get a different Remake version. However, do you know if there are any free programs that I can use instead of Remake to edit out menus and subpictures without losing quality as in Shrink? I assume that two such programs are the vobblanker and pgcedit. Does anyone use these? If these are the best, then why use Remake in the first place? Are there any disadvantages in using these programs?

5. UncasMS

UncasMS Regular member

i have learnt by now that you dont seem to read the replies you were given

i have mentioned pgcedit and vobblanker before

do you need another 5 people to make the same suggestions?

6. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

Uncas, I did read your post, but it seems you are the one who doesn't know how to read. In my post I did mention your recommendations, but since you didn't explain much about them, I asked to find out whether others agree that those are the best programs to use. I also wanted to find out the difference b/n Remake and pgcedit, for example. I downloaded pgcedit and it is very confusing to use - there are no previews and I don't know what is what. It's seems like it is a program for more advanced users and I'll have to read a lot more to understand how to use.
    Your posts are another example why I used a reference to Germans. At some point it felt like the advanced users in this forum were the allies trying to attack the axis powers. Now you are continuing that trend, without any reason.

7. xentrix

xentrix Member

Hi Lumbastio,

While I am experiencing a similair problem like yourself with DVD rebuilder, I Imagine the program is having a problem with my mounted image, it's hard to understand just why there is a problem with my image. re ripping the dvd in file mode may have a better outcome - I am currently testing to see if this will work.

If not I will use CCE 2.70 with TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 (which muxes video+audio and outputs the dvd vobs)

Have you considered splitting the original dvd across two recordables?

In all honesty it's a fast solution to what can be a pain in the neck - DVD Backup!

I have used CLONEDVD to keep the extra's and simply spilt the disc, the second disc can be programmed to start a chapter or two behind the split point.

It's a no frills fast DVD backup.

8. vurbal

It's possible. It's also possible there's some problem with the DVD. I'd try doing the backup with no compression just to see what happens when it rebuilds. If it does the same thing I'd let jdobbs know about it so he can look into what's going on.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  9. vurbal

I can't say what similarities or differences there are between what DRM does to edit and what DVD-RB does, but I can say you'll get more help from jdobbs if you're doing everything in DVD-RB.

10. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

xentrix, I don't really know about splitting DVD techniques, so I'm stuck with remake. But someone did recommend to use the file mode of the Decrypter and that's what I have been using.

That's the weird thing vurbal - when I used Shrink (uncompressed) to edit the DVD and then process through RB, it worked. So I was convinced that the problem is with the Remake, as many said. But now, xentrix does not use Remake and gets the same error, which is very difficult to explain in terms of Remake. Maybe jdobbs should take a look into this matter. Also, if anyone in here would like to, can PM me their email address and I'll send my version of Remake Pro so that they can try it themselves and see if they get the same error.

Currently, since many say that the problem is with a corrupted Remake executable, I am considering buying the latest version. But if I buy it and still get the same error, I might experience a mental breakdown. That's why I want to be sure I totally have to buy it, before wasting 40 or 70 bucks.

Another thing is that I only need Remake to remove extra audio and subpictures, which usually don't exceed a max of 500MBs (usually 200MBs.) If I just leave those things there and use 4 passes, would the difference in quality really be that much? If so, perhaps I can just avoid using Remake altogether. I have already spent about $700 on textbooks this semester and can't spend more unless I absolutely have to.

11. vurbal

If you get that same error and Dimad doesn't have it figured out and fixed within a week I'd be surprised. His customer service is second to none.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

13. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

Thanks for the link, I'll probably buy it. Do you think that I'll need the pro version or the regular is fine? I couldn't find a site where it compares the two versions. If you have a link, that'd be great.
    Before buying I'll have to try and find out whether not removing the extra features from the DVD really affects the quality. I'll try to see if I can use RB Pro to at least edit out some of the things.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Get the Pro version, it has a lot more options.

15. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

I just tried to copy the same DVD without processing it through Remake(Decrypter-->HD-->Rebuilder-->Nero.) I did not get an error after rebulding, but when I tried to burn the file with Nero, I got the same message as before:

Windows XP 5.1
    IA32
    WinAspi: File 'Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=4.57 (1008), size=48128 bytes, created 12/22/1997 5:23:24 PM
    ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=2.0.1.74, size=164112 bytes, created 10/26/2004 6:35:34 PM
    Nero Version: 6.6.0.13
    Internal Version: 6, 6, 0, 13c

Recorder: <_NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A> Version: 1.01 - HA 1 TA 1 - 6.6.0.13
    Adapter driver: <atapi> HA 1
    Drive buffer : 2048kB
    Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ATAPI
    CD-ROM: <_NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A >Version: 1.01 - HA 1 TA 1 - 6.6.0.13
    Adapter driver: <atapi> HA 1

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
    DiskPeripheral : MAXTOR 6L040J2 atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
    CdRomPeripheral : HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
    CdRomPeripheral : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A atapi Port 1 ID 1 DMA: On

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===
    HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B D: CDRom0
    _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A E: CDRom1
    =======================

AutoRun : 1
    Excluded drive IDs:
    WriteBufferSize: 74448896 (0) Byte
    ShowDrvBufStat : 0
    BUFE : 0
    Physical memory : 510MB (522736kB)
    Free physical memory: 243MB (248892kB)
    Memory in use : 52 %
    Uncached PFiles: 0x0
    Use Inquiry : 1
    Global Bus Type: default (0)
    Check supported media : Disabled (0)

UDF/ISO compilation
    10:39:58 PM #1 Phase 112 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    DVD-Video files reallocation started

10:39:58 PM #2 DVDREALLOC -22 File DVDVideoCompilation.cpp, Line 1183
    File 'VIDEO_TS.VOB' is not referenced and should not be present

10:39:58 PM #3 Phase 115 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    DVD-Video files reallocation failed

Existing drivers:
    File 'Drivers\ASPI32.SYS': Ver=4.57 (1008), size=23936 bytes, created 12/22/1997 6:02:46 PM
    File 'WNASPINT.DLL': Ver=V1.18, size=57344 bytes, created 11/5/2002 3:16:52 PM
    File 'Drivers\PXHELP20.SYS': Ver=2.03.28a, size=20640 bytes, created 3/11/2005 3:28:13 PM (Prassi/Veritas driver for win 2K)
    File 'Drivers\atapi.sys': Ver=5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), size=95360 bytes, created 8/3/2004 10:59:42 PM (Adapter driver for rec)

Registry Keys:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

I am getting pissed off again - spent 7 hours encoding and am getting the same *%^&$# error. What is going on people? I can't spend so much damn time on this stupid process of copying a DVD. We wasted all this time in this forum and here I am back to the zero. Any suggestions? I have been able to copy a different DVD through RB when I did not use the decrypter. Also, when I used Shrink on this same DVD, I was able to burn it, though with crappy results. I hate this burning process; absolutely abhor it. What a piece of time wasting junk. I think it would be a very good idea to let jdobbs know what the hell is going on. During the last week I have been using my computer almost 24/7 for encoding and got errors something like 70% of the time. You have no idea how enraging that is.
    Here is what I am going to do:
    1) Re-encode the DVD again. Maybe since I was running programs while the encoding was taking place it might have corrupted the file.
    2) Try copying a different DVD if #1 does not solve the problem
    3) If #2 gives the same error, I'll try to encode directly with RB, i.e., skipping decrpyter

These are VERY time consuming, so I am hoping that some of you have brighter ideas. If after all this I don't have a flawlessly working RB, I will sure be banned from this forum for swearing, but by that time I won't care anymore since I couldn't find any help. I hope the latter doesn't happen.

16. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

I forgot. After preparing with RB, I edited out one of the audio channels (double clicked on it so that a red cross appeared nearby.) Could this be the cause of the error? If yes, then why? Should't I be able to use the PROFESSIONAL version to edit at least the most minimal things?
    Anyway, I'm glad that I didn't buy Remake because before I get anymore programs I have to be sure that the ones I have are functioning flawlessly.

I'm sorry if some of you get offended, but DVD burning is indeed in the stone ages. The proof is within this and numerous other threads. I usually learn everything very quickly, but when it comes to professional DVD burning, just when I think I got hold of it, the damn thing slips out of my hands like a bar of greasy soap.

17. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

Solution #1: Failed

18. vurbal

If that's the only error you get it doesn't mean anything's wrong. That would just mean there are no menus in the the VMG, which normally only contains copyright and region messages anyway. Try deleting VIDEO_TS.VOB and see if Nero will burn it after that.

This is actually somewhat of a confusing error to me since I know Nero used to be known for complaining when there weren't VTS_xx_0.VOB files for every titleset - even when there weren't any references to them in the IFO files.

19. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

I hope you are right. Actually Nero will burn even with that error, but the problem is that the message says that it might be unplayable in DVD players. I'll try deleting and see if it works.

20. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

Vurbal, I have no idea why it gave me such an error, but your advice worked. The stupid FBI warning is still there, but the menus are gone. Do you know why did I get this error and how to avoid it?
    Right now things are crazier than before: Vurbal, I know that you disagreed that Shrink in the uncompressed format loses any quality, yet many people in this forum said that Shrink does process the file and the quality gets lost. When I used Shrink for uncompressed editing and then used CCE, I got the color edge pixelation in the black backround and thought that it was caused by Shrink. This time, I did not use Shrink, but the same problem was there. I was very dubious and tested the original DVD, and holy s***, it had the same pixelation! So the bottom line is that Shrink (uncompressed) and CCE without Shrink gave the same results. This contradicts what I have been told in this forum by Sophocles and others. Vurbal, you said that you had done an experiment and found out that there is no difference, could you post your results? I am not a pro and can't quantify quality, that's why if anyone in here has the ability to carry out a double blind experiment, please do so to find out whether Shrink messes up the files or not, and then post it. If you already have a proof, you could post that too, since some of you were absolutely convinced that Shrink distorts the original, I assume you had seen some sort of proof.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005