1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Stone Ages - Yet another problem with encoding

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Lumbastio, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

How true but they were all short responses.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Sure, we know. Sophocles never gets carried away. LOL ;) Addicts don't get to be Addicts without typing a few responses. ;) I vaguely remember a few Sophocles editorials, though I'm not going to try to track them down to prove it. LOL Just the fuzzy little posts we did when we first met would make one a Senior nowadays. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2005
  3. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

Sophocles and Arnie,
    You are right absolutely correct about the observations of the concerts. I don’t know if you have seen Le Nozze Di Figaro by J. Gardiner (arnie perhaps), but when I looked closely at the faces of the members of the orchestra in the dark background, they were completely pixelated/distorted. This is why in the beginning I thought that it was Shrink messing things up, but this is the way the original DVD is. The problem with great works of art is that every performance is unique and often the great artists are dead before even the technology catches up. So many operas and most of today’s classical CD’s have been derived from non-digital sources. You just can’t travel back in time and ask e.g. Toscanini to perform something the second time because the technology is more advanced now. Therefore, many works of art are just stuck with bad quality forever. Very unfortunate. Thank god Gould decided to re-record Goldberg Variations just before he died.

Brobear, on newegg website I searched for processors and the most expensive one was this: AMD Dual-Core Opteron 275 Italy 1GHz FSB Socket 940 Processor Model OSA275CBBOX - Retail . It costs over $1,000 but it is only 1GHz! I don’t know why is it so expensive. For the same amount of money I can buy a whole Dell system with a much faster processor (unless I’m not interpreting the specs correctly.) It’s likely that I have to find some sort of helpful harware forum to learn about hardware, because my knowledge about it is not satisfactory. It also seems like building/remodeling a computer should be very easy and also cost effective since it excludes the fee for putting the PC together by the factory and the costs for all that “free” software that comes with the PC that can be obtained somewhere else.

I have no complaints about software because everything works for me perfectly except Remake. Maybe high definition is the next generation, but if the DL comes down in price in will be VERY helpful since of the great works of arts and good movies have already been created in that format. Only the ultra modern films will require the newer technology.

Here, I’ll post my word count below. Do I get extra credit or something? War and Peace was not so appealing, not because it is long, but because the writer could not keep my interest despite the fact that I read the first 120 or so pages. We know that Dostoevsky often included many unnecessary excerpts in his novels simply to make them longer and get paid more to pay his debtors! Still, Brothers Karamazov was amazing.

38 lines, 448 words, 2125 characters. Oops, looks like I forgot to include this last sentence in the count. Oh well.

And also, what did you do with this page? I now can’t fit it on my monitor and have to move the bar sideways to be able to read the posts. This really sucks.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

My joke with Sophocles is the culprit. The gif caused the page to broaden.

Sounds like you need to go hang out at the hardware forums for a while. Those new dual core processors don't run at the high speeds of some of the single core processors, but remember... two cores. It's more about architecture than speed. That's where a lot of novices go wrong, it's not all about speed, but how much work can be done. That's always been AMD's claim to fame, more work done per cycle. Intel accomplishes the same amount of work by running faster (more cycles). You need to review some benchmarks to get a handle on comparisons. As for building a PC, there's a bit more to it than just putting the parts in a case. Sophocles could probably do a better job of setting you straight there. After all, he's the teacher and an avid hardware "enthusiast". ;)

As far as some of the older music, some is actually being improved by modern technology. Old tracks can be digitally remastered and cleaned up to sound better than the original recordings. Economics is sometimes the driving force for what gets done and it's not always the works we might prefer that get the treatment. That is work usually done in a lab and not in the home. There are apps that the individual can use though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2005
  5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Lumbastio

The opteron is more expensive because you can mount more than one on a motherboard that supports it. For single core speeds you should be looking at my specs in my sig. My Vencie core overclocked is actually faster than a single core opteron and it coust only $219.

Here is a comparison between my cheaper Venice core and an Opteron. Note that my speed has increased since then and now I'm really whipping the opeteron.

http://www.zentarium.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27

6. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

Sophocles, does it really matter what PC do you use to build up a new computer? If you had my 3 year old Dell dimension 2300, would you consider stripping it naked and then putting on expensive clothes like a venice core processor, 2 gig ram, and a brand new Wester Digital hard drive (experts cosider Western Digital to be the best since it lasts a VERY long time.)
    I know that this is off the topic, but I think that the administrators of this forum should open a new area specifically devoted to hardware. But for now, I have found this forum: http://www.hothardware.com/forum/. What do you think about it? I'm looking for a forum that has rich and accurate information to help me build the ultimate PC in a cost effective manner. I have over 26 programs and growing on my PC (not all are installed) and the 3D imaging on my Chemoffice 2005 consumes so much power that I have to close half of my security software to be able to use it. If I have to use Adobe Pro at the same time, I have to shut down the internet. Now imagine if I use CCE encoder; the computer becomes totally useless. I don't know what do you use your PC for, but it is very likely that I might need more PC power than you do. If I invest around $800 on hardware only, do you think that I'll be able to build a PC that is much more powerful than those expensive Dell models? I'm hoping to use it for many years to come and then simply upgrade it by investing a little more.

This forum was really great. The info available was so rich that it was possible to learn how to burn DVD's like a pro in a very short amount of time and now I'm possessed to build a high edge PC. I've had enough of my PS (personal snail.)

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

8. brobear

brobear Guest

RB/CCE is still going to take up your resources. We've already mentioned encoding is an intensive task for the processor. Multitasking is out if you want to do a good job.

I can vouch for WD from personal experience, good HDDs. As for stripping the 2300 Dell and going back with an AMD processor, I wouldn't go there. About the only thing you could use are the drives and possibly some cables. You need a new MoBo to go with the AMD processor if that's the route you're taking. Add to that a case that the Mobo will fit into. A newer case comes in handy for the upgraded ventilation you'll need if you're going to overclock the system. Plus you need a better power supply than came in most of the 2300s. Then you have to check to see if any of that old memory is usable. The unit you hope to build should handle over 4 GB of RAM. A lot of boards have 4 memory slots, so you have to think about the size you want to put in. If you're using dual channel memory, then it has to be matched. Just all kinds of things to remember. From my point of view, it doesn't look like much of the 2300 is usable for building a new AMD system. Sophocles can correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see it. If I were you, I'd go with a good uggrade on the Processor for the 2300 and save up for that "dream machine" you hope to build. Taking some classes or workshops on upgrading and fixing PCs would probably be helpful before you start trying a build.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles, 64026402 aka Donald, and I were having a discussion on the merits of AMD and Intel. AMD lead Intel a bit but now Intel is coming back. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/6/235934 To tell the truth, I don't see much savings between the top end AMD and Intel and I don't see a lot of advantages of one over the other since Intel came out with the new chipsets to support their new processors and now companies are developing faster memory so Intels processors aren't held back by the system bus , FSB, and memory speeds. Say close to $3000 for a complete system at top end with AMD or Intel.