1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The sudden "jolt" in a high demanding game. (advice please!)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bennasher, Dec 16, 2007.

1. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

Ok, so here are my specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640mb
    2gb Ram
    and a ATAPI DVD-RW which i use to play my games from.

So hers the thing, mostly during games which demand alot from the system (crysis, rainbowsix vegas etc.) my sound is choppy during gameplay, and it sometimes stalls, as if to be trying to cope with graphics. I would like to be playing my games on top graphics because i have the card to handle it, i guess its just he rest of the computer now! I know its not my graphics card. but i m wondering what it would be, should i upgrade ram? or do i need to get a new processor (hopefully not - expensive!).

So yeah, thanks alot,
    Ben

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I wouldn't call your graphics card really strong. Your CPU is a bit dated as well. What settings are you playing, for example, Crysis at?

3. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

crysis is at just below top, abnd vegas im playing at top settings with only a minor bit or drag every so often. really? i though my gfx card was very strong lol!
    yeh i know my cpu is dated and i need to get a new one, i think that will probably sort out he problems. because i tested my specs up aginst crysis and thats the ONLY problem with the recommended specs.
    im not sure what i can get though for my mobo, im not too good with cpus and i dont know what a good to buy is.
    thanks.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

How much would you be willing to spend? Also what resolution are you playing these games at?

Also a 160 dollar HD 3850 is a bit faster than your card. Times have changed...

5. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

really, i though the 8800gts was new? and its 640mb? ermm well thats new to me haha, thanks.
    and my resoluion is 1280 x 1024

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well abuzar is right. Your processor is limiting you sine it is a single core. A duel core would greatly increase performance and stop the bottlenecking with your graphics card.

8. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

thanks alot both of you, the only thing is, is there no way of a cheaper option, for example keeping my mobo? or does it just not support dual cores? thanks alot.
    ben

9. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

oh sorry! i though i include my mobo, it is a:
    GIGABYTE K8 Triton, GA-K8NMF-9

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It would support it but then you would have to get one of those crappy AMD X2 cpus.

11. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

ok, thanks. but i have two questions.
    1. what do you mean i dont have it turned up that high? i thought that was the top lol! i mean my normal monitor display is 1280 x 1024.
    and 2. you said that "It would support it but then you would have to get one of those crappy AMD X2 cpus."
    so do i 100% have to get a new mobo? i dont think i have the cash for it. p.s. i am in england so preferably £'s
    thanks again.
    Ben

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It will support the AMD dual core CPUs which are comparably MUCH worse than Core 2 Duos.

About the resolution, well that top because that's what your monitors supports. My monitors supports 1600*1200, and that's what I play at. It depends on how good your monitor is.

13. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

oh right, ok then. I have my pc connected to a 32" HDTV also, which i sometimes play on. So a new mobo is the way to go then?

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If you want to get a Core 2 Duo. They overclock like hell too. The X2s cant do that.

15. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

well i dont ever overclock becuase i dont know how and ive heard stories about overclocking gone wrong!
    i jsut want to be able to play crysis on full specs without drag - and that goes for games in the near future too.
    will the X2 do that? because if possible i dont want to have to update my mobo as i dont have enough money!

16. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha check out our overclocking thread. My 2.6 Ghz CPU is at 3.6 Ghz right now. There is no risk whatsoever. You would have to be a RETARD to screw it up.

I'm sure the X2 will improve performance significantly, but like I said they don't even TOUCH the Core 2 Duos.

18. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

i know but, i jsut dont like fiddling around with bits in the computer, and editing setings etc. so what does it mean? it wil lperform faster when overclocked? ok.
    so back to my problem hehe....
    i cant find that AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ on any UK sites, only lower. but if i cant buy a mobo, i know it cant touch the intel models, but will that be able to keep up with newer games for a while?

19. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member