1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The summary of CD-R brands - READ BEFORE ASKING!

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by cd-rw.org, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Sazy

Sazy Member

I bought a spindle of CD-R iMations last fall during the after thanksgiving day sales for 5$ (50 Pack) and they report as Riteks, thats good right?

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Yes Ritek seems to make good CDR's at least the ones I've burned turned out OK. Burn a few and try for yourself....

3. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I just bought a 100 ct spindle of Verbatim 52x cdrs from Newegg. Made in India and code as Moser Baer. CD/DVD Speed listed their max burning speed as 48x on a Liteon LH20A1H.

Haven't burned any yet, just received them today.

4. Sazy

Sazy Member

My imation's that are registered as Riteks run great :) I just don't know where they were made, I threw away the wrap around for the spindle.

5. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Hi fellas. Anyone know how these verbs do>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130953 They were $14.99 yesterday. Staples has the sony cd-rs at about the same price. These verbs according to some reviews come from Moser Bauer India. The sony most likely Taiwan.

I would try the ritek or ricoh just can't find the ricoh and the ritek at supermedia are in plastic wrap which I don't want. Prefer cake box or spindle. Any suggestions appreciated as always. Thnx.

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

dr_ml422 the MII haven't been as reliable as the MIT disc if you are buying from supermediastore might as will get Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs as with there DVDs they are the best you can get

7. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Thnx Zo. I'd figure that much. Might as well stay the course since I began using tys for dvds. What would be a close second just in case? Spindle or cake box.

Btw good to hear from you.

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

9. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Thnx zo. Sounds like a plan. I'll snatch some tys soon but 4 now the sonys are good and on sale.

10. Gomar

Gomar Member

I've been using Hypermedia for a while, and haven't had any problems with them. I see no reason to pay 2x for Maxell or Sony etc.
    All discs are made in China anyway, probably in the same factory.
    Companies just slap their brand name and logo and jack up the price.
    Consumers still fall for this old trick.
    It's like bottled water, you know brand name stuff for $2.99 is same like tap water, but it makes you feel good to pay more.

11. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Where you go get your hypermedia from, and do you use cd-rs or audio cds? Thnx. Also how long have you had the data on them? Interested to see if data has been there long and still good then you might be on to something.

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

you couldn't be more wrong ^^^^Gomar and you have no idea what you're talking about. so don't post misinformation. the best media made ,Taiyo Yuden is MIJ Verbatim is MIT and MII. and the good stuff isn't anymore money than the crap you're using. bottom line there is a difference between the brands and quality

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  13. bratcher

bratcher Active member

For DVDR's, yes there is a big range in quality. CDR's are a different story. The quality range in my experience seems to be a whole lot smaller. Sure TY & Verb is always the best even for CD's but I've had good experience with Ritek, Prodisc, CMC, Gigastorage, Lead Data & a few other makers. All those old CD's still read back to this day. I've only had a few go unreadable on me.

14. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Good to know bratcher. I've burned some music on some HP cd-rs.The blue face ones. Pretty good so far, but HP dvdr's forget about it. Caught my personal collection in time to transfer what was left to TY's. Some video work just plain disintegrated on those HP dvd'rs.

I'll check supermedia or some of the other reliable sources for some cdr's. I missed the sale on the sony's last time.

15. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I bought mine at Microcenter www.microcenter.com several years ago & they still play back fine. All audio CD's made by CMC.

16. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Hi bratcher. Thnx for the info on Hypermedia and microcenter.com. I never did the research, so I'm curious if there's a difference between putting music on Audio CDs or CD-Rs? Only advantage I see w/the CD-Rs is you could put data on them also, and kill 2 birds w/1 stone. Unless Audio CD-Rs can accept data also, which music is btw. Thnx.

17. bratcher

bratcher Active member

You can put music or data on either one. The regular CDR's are cheaper. I put audio on them all the time & they all play back perfectly.

18. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Good to know. Guess only difference then would be looking out for a great bargain. Thnx.

19. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Yep.

The only difference between a regulat CDR & a music CDR is a code on the music disc that a consumer standalone audio CD recoder needs in order to burn the CD. In other words they won't burn a CD used for data. Computer drives ignore the music code so you can use either a regular CD or a music CD in a computer drive for either data or audio.

I've seen and used Maxell & Sony audio CD's that had a Tayio Yuden mid code. The wrapper on those said Made In Japan. Great media by the way burned on my computer DVD drive!! I burned them as audio CD's for the home & pickup truck stereo's at 16x which is the fastest CD speed & use. As to DVD's I don't burn those over 8x.

Nothing wrong with burning CD's ar either 52 or 48x & DVD's at 16x though. Lower burn speeds are just my preference...

20. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Yeah the Maxell and Sony are pretty good and now that you've confirmed the audio as coming from TY that's even better. I've had Sony dvds and Maxell by prodisc which isn't too bad.

I also burn my CDs at 16x and maybe 24x as I heard that from the factory the CDs come at 24x and the DVDs at 12x. I'm not a 100% positive on this, but burning hasn't produced any bad results w/good media at 12x and the 24x for DVDs and CDs respectively.

My 2 sata sammys have a slow lead in and usually max out at the given speed I set for them w/ImgBurn. On these 2 drives I'll burn my DVDs at 16x w/16x media and at 12x w/8x media from TY. That's only because of the lead in and max out time.

On my 2 IDEs which are a pioneer and a samsung I'll keep it at 12x or 8x. Especially w/the pioneer as it goes straight to the set speed and stays there.