1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Not bad I think it will run quite cool!
    The reviews haven't been too good on build quality though, awkward to work on and only 3 drive bays is limiting, although the newer cpu attachment is supposed to be better than the original ones which took 3 people to fit.
    They also make the main base unit to fit any Lian-Li PC60 case.

Another beast is here:
    http://store.over-clock.com/MountainMods.html

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not bad, a bit more tasteful looking at least. Those mountain mods cases are insane, they don't even look like PCs!

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Taste is personal I'm afraid, so yours is obviously different from mine and the others that quite like the look of the Thermaltake and Mountain Mods.
    It doesn't make my taste bad, or yours 'just different'.
    When you say something doesn't look like a PC, then you are just comparing these cases to what the majority of PCs are housed in, and stating your perception of what a PC should look like.
    They certainly look like PCs they just look completely different from the mainstream PCs that most people have.
    I've also seen plenty of PCs that have no case at all; they are built on top of ply-wood.
    They are still computers, and by the nature of the build are completely personal, not mass produced impersonal products, so that makes them very personal computers.
    For a few PCs that take things further look here:
    http://www.envador.com/
    http://www.g-news.ch/articles/nhp200nc/
    Rather than worry too much about my taste, I challenge everyone to find the weirest case they can.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i think that wins LMAO !!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2006
  5. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

My dream computers would be something like BigDks! I mean that setup really rocks dude! How you doing??

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I don't think they come much lighter!

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Hi, doing well cheers lecsiy.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence on the system; it certainly beats anything I've worked with before.
    I think I'm going to have to go back to water-cooling though, as the noise level is doing my head in.
    I've been meaning to start cranking it up, but firstly had a PSU failure, and now one of the Raptors is dying on me, so the RAID is likely to crash at any time.
    A new one is on the way through the WD RMA procedure, but until it's running properly I don't want to bother pushing it, as I'm on a very limited build (not bothering with all S/W and tweaks).
    One thing I will try is to put the 3 Raptors together before I send the dying one back and see what performance that gives.
    I may then either put another one in full time, although I've also been toying with the idea of buying a 16GB HyperDrive but that means cashing in shares, and kissing goodbye to nearly £1200, don’t really want to spend that much on a single drive, too many other things I can spend the money on.
    I'm hoping to see a price drop once the cards start to be more widely used.
    There are cheaper options, but the capacities are too small.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, that's hard luck for a system that expensive... Sorry to hear that, lots of those case mods are very cool indeed.

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

that 200nc is great iv got a p3 i might do that to

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Hats off to the guy, he has shown a real style.
    If you do it, then post the pics.
    I've also got an old P3 which was probably going to get binned, but I might start thinking of what outlandish mod I can do to it, and still keep it working, although the 200nc is seriously hard to live up to.
    My kids are into Dr.Who so maybe I'll try a themed case along that line.

As for the problems I've had, well s**t happens, at least I'm covered by the warranty.
    One good thing about the WD Raptor warranties is that the cover period starts all over again from the time the new one arrives.
    As for the PSU, well at least it’s now blue to match the rest of the lights in the case, the red one was okay, but stood out a bit.
    There’s always some positive to come out of a bad situation normally, and at least it forces me to have some patience and let the system run in before stressing it too much

The worst thing about the drive was that when I did a rebuild thinking that there may just have been an issue with the setup, I lost 3 days work on a Visio diagram I've been working on, as my backup somehow got screwed, I think I put it on the raid not my external drive.
    (now that was crappy having to do it all again with a deadline to meet)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ugh yeah, another unpleasant downside to RAID eh?

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The downside to raid 0 has always been reliability.
    The downside to raid 1 or single drives has always been the speed.
    Normally I don't get caught out, it hasn't put me off using raid, if you want cutting edge, then you need have to have to be prepared to take the costs(both financial and practical)..
    This is another reason I can't wait for newer drive technologies to take hold and come down in price, as HDD's are always the slowest part of the system.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, it's antique technology. Trouble is, memory progress at the moment isn't really what you'd call stellar, particularly system RAM. I'm still waiting to see a 2GB RAM module...

14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

SODIMM first? Well that was unexpected! Holy hell, $1230! So what'd that be here, £850? That's a barbaric amount of money!

16. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    My question is :What's so F*****G special about it!!!! Apart from the fact it's a 2gb module?????Or did I miss something??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's what's special. A 2GB RAM module. You better believe it.

18. crowy

crowy Guest

Well I won't be buying any of that real soon!!!!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nor me, mainly because I don't own a laptop LOL. 2GB desktop RAM will hopefully appear within 6 months, and I'd expect it to start retailing at about £600 a stick.

20. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

@bigDk sounds good man! Keep me posted on how it goes!