1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If I remember rightly, the A01's issues were driver related, the A00's issues were to do with the screen itself, and mine's an A00.

2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ok...dont know wat u talking bout...A00???

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Dell use Axx to indicate the revision numbers of their products. The A00 is always the first release of a product, then A01 will be the first revision. Before they revised the 3007 (January - April sales) there was a slight brightness variation issue (which having known about, looked for and found, doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's not severe enough). After the first revision (A01s) the problem would only persist if you had a messed up driver on your PC. After the second revision (A02) it doesn't occur at all.

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

oh i c...they sure do there homework...

ok one question...wat is the best mobo for AMD and wat is the best mobo for Intel...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's hard to say what the outright best is, but the Asus P5WD-H Deluxe is favoured among Intel enthusiasts, and the M2N-SLi series is good for Socket AM2.

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ok...thnx...i hav a problem...should i upgrade my pc to AMD or Intel...i like Intel E6600...and i also like AMD x2 5000+...dont know which one to go for...for E6600 its fast but expensive...for 5000+ its cheap but slower than E6600...

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it's up to you. Assuming you haven't got an already compatible platform for either, unless you've got a lot to spend, an X2 4200+ AM2 rig using a relatuvely inexpensive board but high end video card could work well for a low price. for games, CPUs aren't usually the deciding factor, it's graphics. Only if you do a lot of video editing do CPUs really become important.

8. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yes i know wat u mean...but i want a rig that is good for media, video editing, photoshop, paintshop etc...and of course gaming...oh and i thought the faster the cpu the beta the gameplay...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To an extent, but after the Athlon X2 series, further improvements really aren't necessary - it's the difference between 100 and 150fps, usually indeterminable.

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@BigDK

i'm actually quite content w/ my own set of Corsair C4 pc2-6400, that's exactly what i was using prior to upgrading to the G.Skills kit i recently bought :) considering that you run 400FSB 24/7, those C4 Corsairs are a perfect match (1:1) and in my own experience, i've been able to loosen the timings and get it stably over 1000mhz no problem, but at 5-5-5-12 naturally, and as you well know, performance will take a hit as 1:1 ratio is ideal~ :) i'm currently running 24/7 @3.825ghz, or 425 FSB, still maintaining the 1:1 ratio with my memory @CAS4 timings~ :)

PM me in the future if you do consider the high-end memory Dominators or any other brand, my supplier here in the U.S. has a certain quality about him that has served me well over the last few years, i buy almost exclusively from him now at discounted prices. his remarkable ability to obtain the very difficult to find components still amazes me, i don't know how he does it, but it's a win-win situation and i trust him completely~ :) we can arrange international shipping and the details can be ironed out at a later time if the need arises~ :)

as to the 8800gtx's that i recently got, i've obviously only had the opportunity to run a SINGLE card on the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, i've ran into too many headaches trying to flash hacked drivers/BIOS to make that mobo "ghetto rigged-SLI capable", it's just not worth my time. i've flashed/cross-flashed so many BIOSes in the past with mobos and vid. cards and optical drives alike it's 2nd nature to me, but to transform a Cross-fire enabled mobo to that of an SLI one, i ran into too many obstacles with stability to pursue it any further. :)
    i'll just wait until the eVgA 680i comes in (ETA: next week), then i won't have to mess with all that nonsense.

@sammorris

i've never had any experience w/ Tagan brand PSUs, but i'm more than familiar with Enermax (Liberty and Galaxy models) as well as the Thermaltake Toughpower 750 (i picked one up for a friend's build after the recommendations of someone that we are both mutually acquainted with..*cough Soph cough*) :)

perhaps the Thermaltake models might be what you would opt for in the future after ATI's new cards come out, also, you might consider the OCZ branded GameXStream 850w that was just recently released, it's the same size as my OCZ GameXStream 700w i used on my Core 2 duo build prior to upgrading to the Galaxy... :) it's very efficient @80% at 115v and @83% at 230v (typical load), i've had absolutely ZERO issues with my power demands using the 700w GameXStream~ the model number for the 850w version over in your neck of the woods is : OCZ850GXSSLI-UK

@GTR35

PM me, i am willing to sell you one of my 7900gtx if we can come to some sort of agreement, details can be discussed via PM, not here on this thread.

docTY

11. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@sammorris
    hmm...i'l take ur word for it...then i dont need to waste so much money...i van just buy 4200+/4400+/4600+...with M2N-SLi series mobo...then would save so much money...

@kivory666
    thnx for the offer dude...but live in South Africa...and not UK/USA...unless u live in SA too...

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

GTR35, he could probably ship to South Africa . shipping on a videocard shouldn't be that much even to South Africa...

13. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yes i know that...but i neva tried that before...shipping...and i dont hav any money right now...

14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@kivory666

Cheers Ken, much appreciated!!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

kivory: Ooh, OCZ make 850W units now? They'll be worth a look.
    GTR: you would, and it would still be a good PC!

16. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ya i need money tho...alot...*sigh*...i hav no part time job...

17. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@BigDK

anytime my friend, i usually don't go out of my way for members that live over in Europe (only because i'm not very familiar with international shipping/policies/procedures), but since we share a common interest/enthusiasm for the "high-end" components, i would be more than happy to help you find that "rare" part if i can over here. have a good one.

yeah, the newer 850w by OCZ just came out about a month or so ago, we here in the U.S. are just now getting them in and they are available for purchase. i haven't looked over in the UK in terms of availability, but it's definitely an option i would consider as it's CHEAPER (at least here in the U.S. it is) than the Enermax Galaxy series equivalent and other high end 850w+ PSUs. if the efficiency of the 700w little brother that i used for 2 months is any indication of the 850w GameXStream, i would highly recommend it to ANYONE looking for a reliable high-end PSU.

@GTR35

sorry, i live in the U.S., i've never shipped anything to South Africa before, but at the very least i wanted to put the offer out there for your consideration if you're interested. no worries, it would more than likely be a better decision for you to buy something from your home country, with all things considered with duty fees/taxes/import-export/other possible complications, it would be in YOUR best interest to just save up and purchase a good card there in South Africa~ :)

happy holidays to you all~

docTY

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  18. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

thnx doc...for the offer...i appreciated very much...too bad i dont live in USA...i'll jus hav to sav up for a new card...

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

well it only held its record for a massive 18 days, then kingston released it 1250mhz modules, but the water cooling is still a nice feature, read a review here.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  20. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

isnt fans cooling good enough...with lots of case fans and cpu fans...how good is water cooling...dont the water heat up?